PDA

View Full Version : Fastening metal legs to a slab table

Russell Stanton
02-23-2019, 10:15 AM
My son is making a live edge slab dining table and will use metal legs made from 1 inch square tubing. I can think of two ways to fasten the legs to the slab one being lag screws and the other being threaded inserts. On both i would use oversize holes in the metal to allow for movement. Any suggestion for another method and recommendation of one of my ideas over the other. Also if using threaded inserts should I epoxy them in place or just rely on the threads? TIA

Jamie Buxton
02-23-2019, 10:32 AM
Threaded inserts are good in situations where you think non-woodworkers will disassemble the table to move it. If not, lag screws will do just fine.

If you properly install inserts, there's no need to epoxy them in.

Stan Calow
02-23-2019, 11:02 AM
I was just admiring a table with metal legs, in which the legs were attached with black round head bolts through the slab. Looked fine.

Richard Coers
02-23-2019, 11:31 AM
You can cut a sliding dovetail between the slab and an added wide cleat. The steel legs can even be bolted to the cleat if you use flat head bolts. The slab will float on the dovetail joint.

James Biddle
02-23-2019, 11:46 AM
I had a metal table base made for a live edged slab with 1/2" x 1-1/2" flat stock for the mounting. I mortised slots into the bottom of the slab and used short, blackened lag screws to mount it through oversized holes in the steel. So in my case, the support steel is mostly protected from view and anything from catching or bumping it.