PDA

View Full Version : To hone or not?

Christopher Knight
12-06-2005, 7:41 AM
Do you have to hone a tool on a whetstone after you sharpen it? Or do you go straight from the sharpening wheel to the lathe? Or does it depend upon the grit of the wheel?

John Hart
12-06-2005, 7:53 AM
Here's a thread that might interest you Christopher: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26698

Personally, I don't hone...but maybe I should as it might save on sanding later....but usually, I'll hit the white wheel while turning to get a fresh edge and it seems to work well.

Keith Burns
12-06-2005, 8:00 AM
Generally I go straight from the wheel unless I need a very fine cut in which case I'll do a quick hone.

Jim Becker
12-06-2005, 10:22 AM
I generally do not hone, although I keep a slip stone handy if I feel the inside of my gouges need de-burring after a "good sharpen" at the conclusion or beginning of a project. If I used a skew (and I don't), I would hone that, however.

Steven Wilson
12-06-2005, 12:28 PM
For fine scraping cuts with a skew I will hone that. For gouges I don't generally don't hone them although I will take a slip stone to them on the inside to get rid of the burr

Ron Ainge
12-06-2005, 4:04 PM
I turned for two years before I started to hone my tools but now I hone all of them after sharpening and at least two times before I go back to the grinder again. I sometime hone a skew several times between shaepening.

John Shuk
12-06-2005, 8:54 PM
I think you should try it out and see if you think it makes a difference to you. I have seen this gone over and over by very good turners and they all get nice results. So do what makes you happy.