PDA

View Full Version : clairvoyance

Ian Radin
02-22-2019, 7:19 PM
There is a word similar to this which means depth of wood surface appearance. Clairvoyance, of course means seeing objects beyond normal means. I can't find wood reference in dictionary. Help.

Jim Becker
02-22-2019, 7:22 PM
Chatoyance ... :)

https://www.rockler.com/what-is-chatoyance

Jerry Wright
02-22-2019, 7:26 PM
One can exhibit clairvoyance in predicting whether a wood will exhibit chatoyance😉

Jacob Reverb
02-22-2019, 7:36 PM
Yet another thing I love about mahogany.

Matt Day
02-22-2019, 8:36 PM
Lol, this one is funny. Brain fart.

Ian Radin
02-22-2019, 10:37 PM
Ah, thats it. I don't want to tell you how long I hunted through the C's in my trusty American College Dictionary.Thanks all. Ian

Ian Radin
02-22-2019, 11:00 PM
Forgot to mention, I enjoyed Jerry Wright's clever quip. Ian

Prashun Patel
02-22-2019, 11:06 PM
Deloris!!!

John K Jordan
02-22-2019, 11:47 PM
There is a word similar to this which means depth of wood surface appearance. Clairvoyance, of course means seeing objects beyond normal means. I can't find wood reference in dictionary. Help.

When I was doing 3D modeling and rendering (in the early days of the technology) one guy developed an algorithm to apply chatoyancy to any surface. But it's worthless without stereo vision or eye movement and difficult to photograph effectively - try looking for depth in a wood surface with one eye closed! I made this piece with the most amazing maple I was ever given. It looked so deeply 3-dimensional you couldn't believe the surface is smooth until you touch it!

Oh, BTW, I use naphtha on sanded wood at the lathe to see the figure and chatoyance. For a few seconds it shows nearly what the wood will look like when oil is applied. (Helps to see defects like ripples when wet and scratches as it starts to dry.) Alcohol or water will also work but naphtha dries a lot quicker. I saw a turner use alcohol for this once then light it to burn off the liquid! If I remember correctly it was Jimmy Clewes.

JKJ

Bill Dufour
02-23-2019, 12:03 AM
I am clairvoyant and did not even realize it. When driving many people around me turn or change lanes without using signals. Must be because they think I am clairvoyant.

Derek Cohen
02-23-2019, 1:37 AM
I am clairvoyant and did not even realize it. When driving many people around me turn or change lanes without using signals. Must be because they think I am clairvoyant.

No. It is because you are chatoyant. You glow and shimmer, which is why they see you ... :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Lee Schierer
02-23-2019, 8:32 AM
Here is some pretty neat chatoyance:

If you rotate the card table 90 degrees the two light colored squares become dark and the two dark ones become light colored.

Jason Roehl
02-23-2019, 8:50 AM
Deloris!!!

Now that's funny stuff right there. Mulva?

Frank Pratt
02-23-2019, 3:53 PM
Yet another thing I love about mahogany.

If you only love mahogany, it's called mahogamy.

John K Jordan
02-23-2019, 3:57 PM
If you rotate the card table 90 degrees the two light colored squares become dark and the two dark ones become light colored.

A chess or checker board made like that would be interesting.

JKJ

Andrew Joiner
02-23-2019, 6:26 PM
I made this piece with the most amazing maple I was ever given. It looked so deeply 3-dimensional you couldn't believe the surface is smooth until you touch it!

Beautiful work.
We must have good karma John. I was given a slab of quilted maple that needs touching to believe it's smooth. Sometimes nature and woodworkers get to perform magic.

John K Jordan
02-23-2019, 6:56 PM
Beautiful work.
We must have good karma John. I was given a slab of quilted maple that needs touching to believe it's smooth. Sometimes nature and woodworkers get to perform magic.

Thanks!

Hey, I be happy to drive my karma to northern Oregon if that slab is in your way. :)

Mel Fulks
02-23-2019, 7:10 PM
A most enjoyable thread ! Did you know some found the Fire Side Chats An Annoyance?

Prashun Patel
02-23-2019, 11:57 PM
My friend Claire used a Moyle once.

When skiing the Alps, I stayed at a chateau once

I prefer soft cookies, and hence look at Chips Ahoy askance.

Andrew Joiner
02-24-2019, 10:57 AM
Thanks!

Hey, I be happy to drive my karma to northern Oregon if that slab is in your way. :)
It's in front of me in a table top, but not really " in the way"!

Zac wingert
02-26-2019, 2:39 AM
Looks different everytime you or it moves