PDA

View Full Version : Great reference book

Jay Knoll
12-06-2005, 7:06 AM
Hi everyone

I discovered this book in the library yesterday. The Complete Cabinet Maker's Reference by Jeffrey Piontkowski

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/store/books/display.asp?id=2509

If you are thinking on starting a project with lots of cabinets this is a great book (tool) it has specifications for almost every standard size, cut lists and panel optimization. If you wander around the web site a bit you'll find a book preview, it gives you a great chance to check it out before you buy it.

Jay

Cecil Arnold
12-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Jay, as they would say in France (if my spelling is right) bon, tres bon.

John Gregory
12-06-2005, 1:08 PM
Another source for that book is Overstock.com (http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=1568995) for $19.35 and I think $1.40 to ship.

No affiliation, blah blah blah

John

Marc Langille
12-06-2005, 1:23 PM
It seems to work much better than Google...:eek:

http://www.isbn.nu/ :D

You can search by author, words in title, subject or even the isbn number of the book (surprise).

Click on the link, and then it displays any online pricing of the book from multiple sites - including both sides of the pond.

It's good stuff... :)

Mike Cutler
12-06-2005, 1:56 PM
All price competition aside. That is an excellent book, and I mean really excellent. No matter what you pay for it, the cost will be returned on your first project.
It is also more than just cabinets as in kitchen cabinets, or baths.
The construction methods and techniques are applicable to built in as well as free standing cabinets. Lot of emphasis on carcass construction
If you aspire to build your own cabinets. I highly second Jay's opinion.

Marc Langille
12-06-2005, 2:26 PM
Jay's recommendation and Mike's statements have made me want to look this book over - thank you both for posting... :o

John Gregory
12-06-2005, 4:11 PM
All price competition aside. That is an excellent book, and I mean really excellent. No matter what you pay for it, the cost will be returned on your first project.
It is also more than just cabinets as in kitchen cabinets, or baths.
The construction methods and techniques are applicable to built in as well as free standing cabinets. Lot of emphasis on carcass construction
If you aspire to build your own cabinets. I highly second Jay's opinion.
I am a comparison shopper, it helps my meger income;) buy more toys that way. Just trying to help save my friends some money

Mike Cutler
12-06-2005, 7:49 PM
No slam intended at all John. I apologize if my post came off that way. It was certainly not intended to be anything other that an agreement of Jay's opinion of the book
That was one of the first books that I bought when I got back into woodworking seriously after a rather long hiatus.
We never really focused on carcas frame construction in all the woodshop classes I attended throughout school. So When I renovated a bathroom the correct method for constructing cabinets was something I knew very little about, ergo my high opinion of it.

Tim Palmer
12-06-2005, 11:21 PM
Jay,

You may laugh but I too got this book from the library and had it on my lap flipping through it while I was scrolling through posts. So far I like the book, but I have been just looking at the pictures (a habit from a misspent youth as they say ;) .. But It looks good.

Tim

Bill Fields
12-07-2005, 12:11 AM
Bought it from Amazon today--same price.

BILL FIELDS

Rob Blaustein
12-07-2005, 12:15 AM
Bought it from Amazon today--same price.

BILL FIELDS

Me too. Thanks for the heads up Jay. Hope this helps with my bathroom vanity project--I need it.

Mark Singer
12-07-2005, 12:21 AM
Me too. Thanks for the heads up Jay. Hope this helps with my bathroom vanity project--I need it.
Rob,
If its no good you can still use it in the bathroom...just skip the glossy pages...(Like the Sears catalogue):rolleyes: