PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Contributions

John Bailey
12-06-2005, 3:32 AM
2006 Contributions
<!----> <o></o><!--[endif]-->
As many recall, we had a little fund drive back a bit. I got involved because I was upset with myself for sitting on my hindquarters too long until there was an emergency. Those of you who read my posts back then may recall that I said I would be reminding folks when it came time to think about yearly operating costs. That time is approaching.
<!----> <o></o><!--[endif]-->
Our yearly operating costs will be in the neighborhood of $1,300 to $1,400. We had just over 250 Creekers respond to the emergency fundraiser. If we set our goal at $1,500 for the year, and we have 250 Creekers contribute, we would have to contribute $6 each. This should easily cover the yearly operating costs. Because of the great response we had with the emergency fundraiser, there is no need to contribute extra. We have plenty in the coffers for special projects and emergencies. Also, I can guarantee there will be more than 250 respond, so we will probably add a bit to the special funds account. By the way, $6 is 50 cents a month.
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <o></o><!--[endif]-->
I think this is important so that we never get in the situation we had when it looked like the site may close. We can insure the future of this site with a very small contribution if we all take part. I’ve PM’d Keith and we have a little different attitude towards a fundraiser. I (the fun loving guy who is looking for a way to combat cabin fever) would like a little “event.” Keith (who is much too hard working – notice he hasn’t gone out on the town yet [how’s that for a nudge John M.]) thinks we ought to just let it trickle in. He says we’re getting 2 – 5 contributions a week now. Well, it’s my thread and the last PM from Keith said do what I think is best. He doesn’t know what he’s in for.
Keith and I both agreed we shouldn’t be doing a fundraiser during Christmas. Then we all have to regroup after Christmas and New Year’s. So, here’s the plan. On February 1<sup>st</sup>, at 1 second after midnight of January 31<sup>st</sup>, I’m going to contribute my $6. Then I’m going to start a thread saying I did (2006 Contributions, [I]NOW!!!)[I]. The goal will be to get 250 contributions of $6 in the shortest amount of time and to be one of the first 250 contributors. (The first 250 will get the prize of bragging rights, or maybe we can get Andy to turn 250 Ittsy Bittsy trophies with all that wood he just got) When you contribute, whether it be with the donate button, PayPal, snail-mail, or any other way, post that you did. That way, all we have to do is look at the number of posts, and we’ll know approximately how much money was contributed. I say approximately because many of you can’t help yourself and will contribute more. Then, when the goal is reached, we can all sit back and toast ourselves with our favourite brew (or carrot juice in my case, eh Frank). What a way to combat cabin fever!! (Not that you in the southern climes know what I’m talking about) Of course, if you want to contribute earlier, or later, or not at all, that’s fine.
I’ll put out a couple of reminders till then.
This is a great site, and ya’ll are great. Let’s make sure the site has a steady, stable source for funding so there are no more emergencies.
Thanks, John
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--><!--[endif]--><o></o>

Bill Lewis
12-06-2005, 5:46 AM
$6 is less than the admission to a WW show. Even with a coupon.

Ken Shoemaker
12-06-2005, 6:16 AM
I'm in.. I look in on the site several times a day. This may be cheapest yet most valuable thing I do all year. The best $6.00 I've ever spent.

Thanks for your efforts John!!!!!!

Jason Roehl
12-06-2005, 7:29 AM
You'll have to keep reminding us, John--my alarm clock doesn't go that far ahead! BTW, what time zone are you basing this on? Zulu? EST? I just want to know, so I can "prepare". :D

John Hart
12-06-2005, 7:42 AM
Great idea John! If Andy starts now, he can whip out 2 or 3 trophies a day until February and meet the deadline! I'd like mine with extra spalting please.;)

Glenn Clabo
12-06-2005, 7:42 AM
I'm ready...

Ken Fitzgerald
12-06-2005, 7:44 AM
I'll be ready John.....we need to synchronize clocks.....ie I'm in the Pacific Time Zone..

$6.00 small price to pay for information gathered here!

Charlie Velasquez
12-06-2005, 8:37 AM
Can do! I had set up my online banking account to automatically send a donation every Jan.1, but I will change to Feb.1; and the banking personnel assured me this happens electronically at approx. 12:00.1 AM
What a great way to wish SMC and all its members a Happy New Year!

Frank Pellow
12-06-2005, 9:01 AM
Good idea John. I will be ready for the toast on the 1st of February (with some "real" beer).

John Bailey
12-06-2005, 9:28 AM
Picking a time zone is difficult because we have folks all over the world. I'm not too concerned with our European members because they won't have to stay up late. However, if we go with EST the members out west in CA would have to stay up until 3:00 A.M. to get their post in. I wouldn't even hazard a guess what time it would be in Hawaii or Alaska. What do ya'll think. Any preferences, or maybe somebody has some whacked-out idea to pick a time and make it more interesting.

By the way, we'll count the posts that come in after the appointed time, not the actual time the money gets delivered. So, if you had plans to contribute early, don't worry about changing it, just get ready with your finger on the post botton. The contest is for the time of the post, not the time you put the money in. It would be too difficult to keep track of that.

John Hart
12-06-2005, 9:31 AM
um....John.....EST would make the West Coasties stay up till 9:00pm

John Bailey
12-06-2005, 9:36 AM
John,

What can you expect from a guy who goes to bed a 8:00 P.M. and drinks carrot juice. Of course you're right.

John

Andy Hoyt
12-06-2005, 9:40 AM
Great idea John! If Andy starts now, he can whip out 2 or 3 trophies a day until February and meet the deadline! I'd like mine with extra spalting please.;)
Tell ya what John. I'll make one - a big one - for the first place winner, and I'll send it to Lee DeRaud (hope that's okay with you Lee) for appropriate laser engraving with requisite data.

As for the other 249? I suggest YOU get cranking! Those Itty Bitty things are not my goblet/vahhssee/hollow form/vessel of tea.

John Bailey
12-06-2005, 1:37 PM
Sorry Andy,

I'm am considered by many to be a bit crazy, and I admit I've given plenty of reasons to believe that. But, I'm certainly not in the the league of "crazy" you turner's are in.

John

Christopher Pine
12-06-2005, 1:50 PM
Zulu time is same for everyone.. just different for many of us how to figure what it is.. For us in Denver it is plus 7 hours this time of year.

Chris :)

Steve Stube
12-06-2005, 4:35 PM
John, do snipper softwear entries count? Lets even the field.

John Bailey
12-06-2005, 5:04 PM
Steve,

What's "snipper software?" Not that it matters a lot, because this field is so "uneven" I'm not sure we can do anything about it.;)

John

Reg Mitchell
12-06-2005, 6:02 PM
Hey John,
If your PC blows a gasket at all that money comming in at once you're not gonna hold us responcable for replaceing it are you :eek:

John Miliunas
12-06-2005, 6:28 PM
Hmmmm...Strange. I'm positive I posted a reply to this earlier. :confused: Whatever. Count me in but, please, a reminder in big bold letters!!!:D Thanks John!:) :cool:

Jason Roehl
12-06-2005, 6:52 PM
Steve,

What's "snipper software?" Not that it matters a lot, because this field is so "uneven" I'm not sure we can do anything about it.;)

John

I think he means "sniper" software, such as what is used by folks bidding on internet auctions. The software takes your maximum bid amount, and automatically enters it a few seconds before the end of the auction, preventing anyone from outbidding you.

John Bailey
12-06-2005, 8:16 PM
Hey Reg,

Not to worry, we'll handle it!! Actually, ya'll will be posting to the Creek site as usual, so it's not my computer. If everyone posting at one time is a problem, Aaron will probably let us know, although I think he's up to his eyebrows in work right now. That's another good reason to wait till February.

Jason,

So that's how I lost all those auctions.

John

Andy Hoyt
12-06-2005, 8:19 PM
Sorry Andy,

I'm am considered by many to be a bit crazy, and I admit I've given plenty of reasons to believe that. But, I'm certainly not in the the league of "crazy" you turner's are in.

John

John B. - That post was intended for John H. What I'm finding interesting now is that he's staying very quiet on the subject:eek:.

John Hart
12-06-2005, 8:30 PM
John B. - That post was intended for John H. What I'm finding interesting now is that he's staying very quiet on the subject:eek:.

maybe because I'm actually thinking about it...shhhhhh

John Miliunas
12-06-2005, 8:35 PM
maybe because I'm actually thinking about it...shhhhhh

I heard that!!!!:D :D :D :cool:

John Bailey
12-06-2005, 8:35 PM
Andy,

Sorry for the confusion. Although I had so much saw dust all over me tonight, thought maybe I was a turner and didn't know it.

John

Matt Crew
12-06-2005, 9:16 PM
Well I don't know about being one of the first 250, but you can count me in for a contribution in Feb.
I haven't found any place that I've learned more than on SMC.
Thanks for the reminder

Steve Stube
12-06-2005, 9:28 PM
Jason has it right on both counts, SNIPER and its USE. It was Jason's post regarding time zone that prompted my reply as I wondered if he was setting his sniper softwear to be first with his donation. The fact that I don't use such softwear probably accounts for why I can't spell it correctly. I also don't know if it could be used to place the transfer of funds or a post to a thread at a precise time.

John Keane
12-06-2005, 10:48 PM
I enjoy the "Creek" to the point that I don't bother with any others. I must have missed something in translation about contributions to maintain and if possible enhance the site. What I missed was "where and how do I send my contribution". Is it by check, debit card, green?

Joe Johnson
12-06-2005, 11:13 PM
count me in too. The information I get from this forum is worth far more than what you're asking for.
Joe Johnson:)

John Bailey
12-07-2005, 1:52 AM
John,

To make a very long story very short, SawMill Creek almost closed it's doors a couple of months back. Because of the overwhelming response from the Creekers, sufficient contributions were made to, not only keep the site, but to flourish. To prevent this situation from happening again, this reminder, and subsequent contributions, will be everyone's way of providing a steady source of funds for yearly operating costs. Check the archives. There is a very entertaining, and very long, thread that will explain everything.

The easiest way to contribute is with the "Donate" button at the top of any page on the "Creek." You can also use PayPal or snail-mail. I'll have to get back with you on the latter two as I don't have the information at hand. Of course you could also write your name on a $100 bill and send it to me. I'll make sure it gets to the right place!!:D

John

John Bailey
12-07-2005, 2:04 AM
At this point, the thread is getting longer than it needs to be. Remeber, I'm going to post a few more reminders in the time between now and Feb. 1st. So, I'll be out making sawdust and reading other "woodworking" threads.

As far as "sniper" software, I've put it on the agenda for the next "Rules Committee" meeting. We'll research the problem, call witnesses, leak classified information to the press, and have a decision sometime after February 1st, when it's needed. (Read - I'm going to check to see if I can find a copy to give me an advantage.)

Cheers all, John