PDA

View Full Version : Just a little surface rust

Bill Dufour
02-20-2019, 10:39 PM
Saw this rockwell 12-14" saw on c-list in El Cajon. Looks like the inside bits all fell down. if it is all there and not cracked broken it could be a good deal. If some critical part is broken or missing it is a boat anchor in the middle of the desert.
Bill D.
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/tls/d/el-cajon-delta-table-saw-model-12/6822699411.html

tom lucas
02-20-2019, 10:49 PM
Amazing he has the nerve to ask that much for it. I wouldn't take if it were free.

Bruce Page
02-20-2019, 11:05 PM
I’m frequently amazed at the prices people ask on CL. The other day a guy was selling a used 8” HF drill press for “$120 firm” The same drill press is $65 new at HF.

Chris Schoenthal
02-20-2019, 11:51 PM
It only takes one person that wants it to take it off their hands.
It's not the seller that I'm worried about, it's someone that would buy it.

Bill Dufour
02-21-2019, 12:49 AM
That looks like a trailer jack wheel thing on the tabletop. That makes it easier to think of it as a boat anchor. Did it ever have locks for the handwheels or are they just missing?
Bill D.

Frank Pratt
02-21-2019, 10:49 AM
The chances of every thing being there are less than zero.

Osvaldo Cristo
02-21-2019, 11:19 AM
I’m frequently amazed at the prices people ask on CL. The other day a guy was selling a used 8” HF drill press for “$120 firm” The same drill press is $65 new at HF.

Probably that strategy is worth as it is persistent. I think their targets are either the poor guys that have no idea what she/he is buying or is too lazy for a fast internet search... but I am sure it is worth from seller POV.

Ben Rivel
02-21-2019, 11:23 AM
Crazy yes, but theres a sucker born every minute. Ive been surprised MANY times as to what people will pay for stuff. On eBay especially!

Eric L. Severseike
02-21-2019, 3:05 PM
Or, using a bit of way back machining, you could look at this as a saw that, in 2018 dollars, would cost around $8,170 new. With a little elbow grease, a few new bearings, and a fence, you could have yourself an amazing piece of gear.

Color me a sucker.

Derek Meyer
02-21-2019, 6:59 PM
Ebay is the same way. I listed some memory modules last year at $75 each with a buyout of $125. The first one sold for $171. Then the same guy bought the third one for the $125 buyout.

Mike Cutler
02-22-2019, 8:34 AM
Wow! Kind of a bit overly critical. The saw is in El Cajon California. High altitude desert air, not the east coast. That rust is probably only a few microns thick and will come off with steel wool.
It's not in "great shape", but if none of the internal castings are broken, it has value. I've seen machinery in a lot worse shape sell.
In it's day, that was quite a machine to own. The internal parts were used for many years, in different machines, across the Delta/Rockwell line.
Lets say that nothing was broken, and all of the internal casting are there. You buy it for the $425, and put $600-$1000 into it with new paint, a motor, fence, etc. For a $1000.00 to $1500.00, extreme edge of $$$$,you have a saw that would cost 3 to 4 times that amount new. Hmmm,,,,,
It looks as if someone either bought it as a restoration project, or, was in the process of restoring it when they stopped, and now it just has been sitting.
If I was within driving distance, I know I'd be going to look at it.

The two hand wheels and Delta badge in the one photo definitely have value. probably 1/2 the asking price of the saw right there in the second picture.

Matt Day
02-22-2019, 2:33 PM
I’m with you Mike. A surprising amount of people only consider shiny and new stuff that’s in the magazines.

Mike Cutler
02-22-2019, 4:14 PM
I’m with you Mike. A surprising amount of people only consider shiny and new stuff that’s in the magazines.

Matt
Yeah, I'm a rust junkie too.
Not sure if this particular machine is worth the $425.00, but it is definitely not just a pile of scrap junk metal.
Pretty sure it could be had for $250.00 or less if it wasn't on eBay.Maybe if it was sold outside of eBay????

I'm also fairly certain the seller has been contacted about selling just the badge, and scale plate, in the second photo. ;)

Dave Hartunian
02-22-2019, 5:51 PM
I'd agree with the above post. Leave it where it is, It's probably missing a ton of parts.