PDA

View Full Version : Finished tool cabinet!

Dominick Giarraputo
12-05-2005, 9:13 PM
A while back I asked for some input on building a rolling tool cabinet. I got some great responses not only on cabinet styles but also help on things like how to mount the drawer boxes on the slides. (which I am greatly appreciative for!) Well this is the result of that thread.

The frame is made of 2x4's ripped down to 1 1/2" square which I put on three coats of clear satin poly. The panels and drawer fronts are 3/4" particle board, and the drawer boxes are 1/2" chineese birch BORG plywood. Definitely not the greatest but it worked ok for this but it did NOT dovetail very well. The top is 3/4" melimine which a buddy of mine donated to the project.

I know it may not be a show piece being made of some pretty basic material but functionallity was my main goal here, and I think I've achived that very well.

Thanks again for all who offered there help and input!

Neil Bosdet
12-05-2005, 9:22 PM
I like your contrasting colours of the light wood and the really cool blue!

Jim Dunn
12-05-2005, 9:25 PM
Neat tool cabinet. I've found that drawer space is the most limiting thing in my small shop. Always happy to find a new way to save space and have a new work surface too boot.

Dominick Giarraputo
12-05-2005, 9:25 PM
Neil, it's actually dark gary. My camera isn't the greatest.

Hmm, blue would have looked really cool too though!:rolleyes:

Jerry Clark
12-05-2005, 9:28 PM
It looks like it will be very handy in the shop-- great learning project.

Corey Hallagan
12-05-2005, 9:40 PM
I bet the Gray looks great but it looks like blue on my PC as well. Nice cabinet that I am sure will provide lots of great storage! Great job!

Corey

Peter Pedisich
12-05-2005, 9:50 PM
Dominick,

Nice cabinet! like the Gray, too.

Pete

John Gregory
12-06-2005, 1:12 PM
Very nice. I like projects that can help me be better organized in my shop. Yours is a good one.

John

Jim Becker
12-06-2005, 6:37 PM
I think you did a great job on this project, Dominick!! I bet there will be some "matching" pieces to follow, too...

Richard Wolf
12-06-2005, 7:01 PM
That gray is a great shade of blue! Nice cabinet. Is it on wheels or not?

Richard

Dan Mages
12-06-2005, 7:33 PM
Very nicely done!! Is it on casters? You may find this cabinet even more useful if you put it on some locking casters.

Dan

Dominick Giarraputo
12-06-2005, 10:47 PM
Thanks everyone for the compliments....and yes, it is on casters! I also made it the same height as my T/S so I could use it as an infeed or outfeed table if needed. I tried to make it as versitile as possible since shop/garage space is limited.

I just wish I would have painted it blue, then maybe it would show up as gray on your guys monitors!!http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon12.gif

......and Dan, I wonder how many time Patrica Neal had to say that before she got it right?

Ungowwa, pullu see magumba!