PDA

View Full Version : An Old Project - Photos

Corey Hallagan
12-05-2005, 8:26 PM
I know that you guys probably think I just collect tools as all I have built since I have been here are shop cabinets, shop jigs and a little jewelry box, however, please don't forget I have been spending nearly every weekend moment available remodelling the house. I still have a kitchen remodel to do after I finish the living room, which just has only some basic molding work left. After that I am on taking a breather to do some more box work.

Anyway, after we moved the new furniture back into living room after redoing the walls and floors, my wife decided to move the hutch I made her into the living room. This project goes back to circa 1989. I made this piece months after I had started wood working. I had made some shelves and junk like that and the wife wanted an old time looky hutch. This was made with the most basic tools. At the time I had an 8 inch craftsman benchtop tablesaw, 20.00 jig saw, shop made "norms" panel cutter and also a circular saw and a handfull of pipe clamps. I made this piece out of solid pine boards other than the drawer boxes and the back of the piece, the rest is all glued up panels. I remember I was most afraid of that hole process, but they turned out great. I had a 1 1/2 HP router in a router table and I used a big old frame and panel door set on it http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon10.gif My wife was very happy with it. I finished it with Tung Oil and have periodically applied paste was to it and it still looks great. It has a few nicks and dings on it but it has survived well. The wife has placed her snowman collection on it. I thought I would show this old piece to you all. Not bad for a newbie 16 years ago :)

Corey

Scott Donley
12-05-2005, 8:37 PM
Very very nice Corey, now we know why the wife lets you buy all those tools, she's hoping for the matching pieces:) I had been thinking of posting my first piece, also of pine, and still in the living room after all these years, but after seeing yours, no way! I will add that at least you had a TS, I did all my ripping on an old Monkey Ward RAS. Take care, and have a great Christmas!

Bernie Weishapl
12-05-2005, 8:41 PM
Corey that looks fantastic my friend. I love the look of the pine. Is it sitting on the floors you refinished? You should be proud of it especially using basic tools.

Corey Hallagan
12-05-2005, 8:48 PM
Yup, thats the freshly sanded and finished floor along with new molding and newley texured walls. I have been busy! Thanks guys, I appreciate it. That is one heavy piece let me tell yah!

Corey