PDA

View Full Version : Tool Holder for the Shop Moravian Bench

ken hatch
02-15-2019, 7:27 PM
The shop Moravian bench has a quick and dirty tool tray that I keep telling myself I'm going to replace with a nicer one, someday. You know how someday never gets here if the butt ugly thing is working. Whatever someday I'll make a nicer tool tray. What I have missed on the bench is a tool holder on the back side of the front slab. All my other benches have one because they have split slabs and no tool tray. While I've grown to like the tool tray I still miss having a tool holder for my squares, chisels, and saws that are in use.

I was looking for an excuse to not work on MsBubba's kitchen desk and what better is there than making and installing a tool holder for the bench.

From the back side:

From the front side:

ken

James Pallas
02-15-2019, 8:37 PM
I'm glad that works for you. I've tried that and at one time even made a little stand up caddy to hold tools. It now resides on a shelf empty. The only tools that end up in a holder for me are the ones I never use.
Jim

JimA Thornton
02-15-2019, 11:57 PM
My workbench is free standing. I can't think of anything I'd want less than tool storage at the back of that bench. OK.......that said........I have what I call a "back bench" along the wall behind my regular working workbench. There's where my tools usually gather......either on the wall or on the surface. I can see the merits of having tool storage located along the back of that bench.

ken hatch
02-16-2019, 5:13 AM
I'm glad that works for you. I've tried that and at one time even made a little stand up caddy to hold tools. It now resides on a shelf empty. The only tools that end up in a holder for me are the ones I never use.
Jim

Jim,

I expect a tool caddy would just get in the way. As I posted all my other benches have a split slab with a tool holder running down the middle. I've been use to having that storage option to keep tools off the work area of the slab. Saws are the real culprit. Where do you put them while in use, the tool holder is the best option I've found.

ken

ken hatch
02-16-2019, 5:22 AM
My workbench is free standing. I can't think of anything I'd want less than tool storage at the back of that bench. OK.......that said........I have what I call a "back bench" along the wall behind my regular working workbench. There's where my tools usually gather......either on the wall or on the surface. I can see the merits of having tool storage located along the back of that bench.

Jim,

Two of my benches are free standing as well but this bench has a tool tray instead of a split slab like the other bench.The bench with the split slab has a tool holder running down the middle of the split and can be worked from either side.. BTW, I tried a split slab on one of my Moravian builds and it didn't work, mostly because the bench was smaller and I had become use to having a tool tray.

ken

Frederick Skelly
02-16-2019, 5:42 AM
Nice tool tray Ken!

I currently have a caddy. It's made to store in a drawer slot, in one of my small cabinets. I may have to try one like yours.

Fred

Mark Maleski
02-16-2019, 6:42 AM
I have a Moravian with a split slab..will post pictures whenever I get the thing cleared off (has parts of a build spread across it now).

James Pallas
02-16-2019, 9:02 AM
I find stand up type tool holders interesting. I notice a lot of workers use them. I work so much across the bench that things standing up seem to get in the way for me. I find the same for tool trays. I can always put a tool in one that sticks up just enough that turning a work piece will catch on it. I tend to get out the tool set I’m going to use for a task and put them up when done. The only things that reside on one end of the bench are a folding rule a 6” rule, 6 and 12 inch combos a knife and a pencil.
Jim

JimA Thornton
02-16-2019, 9:30 AM
Jim,

I expect a tool caddy would just get in the way. As I posted all my other benches have a split slab with a tool holder running down the middle. I've been use to having that storage option to keep tools off the work area of the slab. Saws are the real culprit. Where do you put them while in use, the tool holder is the best option I've found.

ken

Paul Sellers mounts holders for his saws on the apron of his workbench. Works good for him and the type of woodworking he does. Speaking of which.......as I get more and more into hand woodworking, I can see where my views on workbenches might change.

Jim

ken hatch
02-16-2019, 3:00 PM
Paul Sellers mounts holders for his saws on the apron of his workbench. Works good for him and the type of woodworking he does. Speaking of which.......as I get more and more into hand woodworking, I can see where my views on workbenches might change.

Jim

Jim,

PS's bench has an apron but it is more a structural apron than a work holding apron because of his vise placement. Not saying he is wrong, just different. BTW, I've tried having the face vise proud like PS, it didn't last long that way. Anyway with a proud vise a saw hanging on the apron would not be a big deal. With an English style apron it is.

There is a good chance your views will change :). Mostly a bench should just stay out of your way and allow simple, quick workholding solutions.

ken

JimA Thornton
02-16-2019, 3:36 PM
Jim,

PS's bench has an apron but it is more a structural apron than a work holding apron because of his vise placement. Not saying he is wrong, just different. BTW, I've tried having the face vise proud like PS, it didn't last long that way. Anyway with a proud vise a saw hanging on the apron would not be a big deal. With an English style apron it is.

There is a good chance your views will change :). Mostly a bench should just stay out of your way and allow simple, quick workholding solutions.

ken

My new bench, that I just finished, to replace my 40 year old one has a flush vise. So far I'm really liking it. Also, I went with a regular vise instead of the quick release. I'm liking that better than the old quick release. Time will tell for sure.

ken hatch
02-16-2019, 5:40 PM
My new bench, that I just finished, to replace my 40 year old one has a flush vise. So far I'm really liking it. Also, I went with a regular vise instead of the quick release. I'm liking that better than the old quick release. Time will tell for sure.

Jim,

Nice looking bench, simple, I like simple. As wide as it is a tool rack wouldn't work, you would have to walk around the bench to reach your tools :). With a fast screw there is no need for a QR vise, My wood screw leg vise is every bit as fast as the English QR on the other bench.

ken

ken hatch
02-16-2019, 5:53 PM
I find stand up type tool holders interesting. I notice a lot of workers use them. I work so much across the bench that things standing up seem to get in the way for me. I find the same for tool trays. I can always put a tool in one that sticks up just enough that turning a work piece will catch on it. I tend to get out the tool set I’m going to use for a task and put them up when done. The only things that reside on one end of the bench are a folding rule a 6” rule, 6 and 12 inch combos a knife and a pencil.
Jim

Jim,

I admire neat people and I expect MsBubba would trade me for someone like you in a NY minute:p, but as Jessica Rabbit would say I wasn't drawn that way. Usually once or twice a project I have to clean the bench to make room to continue working and to find the tools needed. A tool rack helps or at least makes the between cleaning interval longer.

About 80% of the time I chop mortises cross bench, usually on or near where the leg supports the slab. The tool rack usually isn't much of a problem because I store few tools over the legs.

ken

ken hatch
02-16-2019, 5:54 PM
I have a Moravian with a split slab..will post pictures whenever I get the thing cleared off (has parts of a build spread across it now).

Mark,

Looking forward to seeing your bench.

ken

ken hatch
02-16-2019, 5:56 PM
Nice tool tray Ken!

I currently have a caddy. It's made to store in a drawer slot, in one of my small cabinets. I may have to try one like yours.

Fred

Thanks Fred,

A tool rack isn't for everyone but for a bench like mine with a narrow working slab they are pretty handy.

ken

James Pallas
02-16-2019, 6:40 PM
Ha-ha Ken. Nothing to do with being neat. If I have too many tools out there will be one that I can't find in the pile. Even when I used the caddy and placed the tools in it I could not see for looking as is said. A six inch rule could be right in front of me if there were many tools surrounding it I wouldn't see it. Self defense to keep sanity at a reasonable level.
Jim

william nelson colorado
02-17-2019, 12:42 AM
Ken that’s a nice looking too holder. If you have a chance, I’d live to see a better picture of the bench with the tool well.

ken hatch
02-17-2019, 8:39 PM
Ken that’s a nice looking too holder. If you have a chance, I’d live to see a better picture of the bench with the tool well.

William,

Ask and you shall receive :D.

There is a tool tray that I pulled off so you can see the rack. The two work very well together.

Click 'em to big 'em.

I hope this helps,

ken

william nelson colorado
02-19-2019, 8:57 AM
Ken, that’s a good looking bench. Thanks for the pictures! I’m planning my 2nd bench. (First is a Paul Sellers style) and I’m beginning to warm to the idea of a 18”-ish deep worktop with a rear 6”-ish deep tool tray. From the look of that square, I’d guess yours is somewhere in that range.

ken hatch
02-19-2019, 11:27 AM
Ken, that’s a good looking bench. Thanks for the pictures! I’m planning my 2nd bench. (First is a Paul Sellers style) and I’m beginning to warm to the idea of a 18”-ish deep worktop with a rear 6”-ish deep tool tray. From the look of that square, I’d guess yours is somewhere in that range.

William,

Good eye. The slab is 460mm, ~18" and the tool tray is 200mm, ~8". I've built front slabs as small as 250mm, ~10" and while they work a 400mm to 500mm slab is close to perfect. I find a 150mm, ~6" tool tray a little small, 200mm works better. Take a good look at a Moravian style bench, it is a fast, easy, and cheap build. The ability to knock in down for moving is invaluable and it is every bit as sturdy and stable as a Roubo bench.

ken

Jake Rothermel
02-19-2019, 12:58 PM
Very cool, Ken. Like most of your other Moravian bench posts, you've given me something (else!) to think on as I'm planning and building my own. I wonder if there's a was to incorporate a tool rack built into a tool tray in one piece...I'm sure there is...hmmm...now I'm rethinking a split slab top....

william nelson colorado
02-19-2019, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the details. I just ran across your blog while doing a bit of research about benches. I’m planning my 2nd bench at the moment. My first bench is a Paul Sellers style doug fir bench. I like some things about it and some I dislike. I like the Roubo but am not ‘in love’ with it. I get mass is good, but it seems that after a bench is heavy/sturdy enough to not move while you are using it, it’s overkill (and overspend on lumber). I almost decided on the Roubo but was a bit shocked at the price with lumber and hardware included. I could build a lot of stuff for that much. ;-).

I asked myself if I wanted a bench or other furniture more. Other furniture won out. I scaled the bench build back to another economical bench. I think the English style bench is an easy transition for me coming from the PS bench but I want to try something different. I’m also intrigued by the third coast craftsman ‘hybrid’ bench. But the more I see images of the Morovian bench the more it’s growing on me. Knowing it doesn’t rack in use keeps it a strong contender.

I’m attempting to make my mind up this week as I found a local sawmill that has the Doug fir that I want ready to go at a very fair price. Yea!

ken hatch
02-20-2019, 5:49 AM
Very cool, Ken. Like most of your other Moravian bench posts, you've given me something (else!) to think on as I'm planning and building my own. I wonder if there's a was to incorporate a tool rack built into a tool tray in one piece...I'm sure there is...hmmm...now I'm rethinking a split slab top....

Jake,

Photos and build tick tock as you work on the build if you can.

I've done it both ways with a split slab and with a tool tray. The only way I have not tried is a one piece top on the Moravian. I expect a solid slab would work OK but would limit ease of moving the bench. Between a split slab and the tool tray I've found the tool tray more useful. My experience with split slabs is the rear slab becomes a tool storage area anyway. BTW, almost all my bench builds have had a split slab or tool tray, too many advantages over a solid slab.

ken

ken hatch
02-20-2019, 6:10 AM
Thanks for the details. I just ran across your blog while doing a bit of research about benches. I’m planning my 2nd bench at the moment. My first bench is a Paul Sellers style doug fir bench. I like some things about it and some I dislike. I like the Roubo but am not ‘in love’ with it. I get mass is good, but it seems that after a bench is heavy/sturdy enough to not move while you are using it, it’s overkill (and overspend on lumber). I almost decided on the Roubo but was a bit shocked at the price with lumber and hardware included. I could build a lot of stuff for that much. ;-).

I asked myself if I wanted a bench or other furniture more. Other furniture won out. I scaled the bench build back to another economical bench. I think the English style bench is an easy transition for me coming from the PS bench but I want to try something different. I’m also intrigued by the third coast craftsman ‘hybrid’ bench. But the more I see images of the Morovian bench the more it’s growing on me. Knowing it doesn’t rack in use keeps it a strong contender.

I’m attempting to make my mind up this week as I found a local sawmill that has the Doug fir that I want ready to go at a very fair price. Yea!

William,

As I've stated before, I'm a Moravian bench fan boy. The bench brings too many workbench "G" Spots to the table to not be. First it is stable well above its weight class and because of that it is less expensive to build. It is a very quick build because the joinery is simple and forgiving, in fact the most important joint requires some slop. And of course it can be broken down into manageable parts and easily moved. As I've shown, the bench can be easily scaled up from a small portable bench to a full sized shop bench with no loss, just a gain in stability because of added weight.

My first Moravian build had a DF base and is still in use daily as a sharpening bench.

Good luck on your build, I hope to see photos as you go.

ken

Jake Rothermel
02-21-2019, 1:30 PM
Absolutely, Ken; count on it. I need to actually START that project before I can photograph any of it, though.... What can I say, two kids under 3 years old hasn't given me or my wife a lot of time recently for our hobbies ...

william nelson colorado
02-23-2019, 5:28 PM
Bench build coming up! I've decided to build the Moravian bench. Now, I've got a decision to make regarding which vise(s) to use. There will be some form of face/leg vise and a tail vise, as the plans call for. I have a Jorgenson QR vise on my Seller's bench that I could reuse. I could use it either on the front or as a tail vise. I'm leaning toward a Lake Erie wooden screw leg vise (plus adding a sliding deadman) and using my QR vise on the end just because I have it. Or use Will Meyers' tail vise and my QR up front. Or just keep it on the old bench and go all in with new vises. Fun stuff to think about! Looks like the cold will let up a little bit this week. If it does, I'll get lumber Wednesday or Friday.

ken hatch
02-23-2019, 9:53 PM
Bench build coming up! I've decided to build the Moravian bench. Now, I've got a decision to make regarding which vise(s) to use. There will be some form of face/leg vise and a tail vise, as the plans call for. I have a Jorgenson QR vise on my Seller's bench that I could reuse. I could use it either on the front or as a tail vise. I'm leaning toward a Lake Erie wooden screw leg vise (plus adding a sliding deadman) and using my QR vise on the end just because I have it. Or use Will Meyers' tail vise and my QR up front. Or just keep it on the old bench and go all in with new vises. Fun stuff to think about! Looks like the cold will let up a little bit this week. If it does, I'll get lumber Wednesday or Friday.

William,

The wood screw vise as installed by Will works a treat. If you want to have a bench that is portable that is the way to go. I'm not a fan of tail vises, at least 99% of the time there are better ways to hold the work. For that 1% where a tail vise is best a Veritas Wonder Dog works very well. If you just can't function without a tail vise I'd go for Will's wagon vise. It is light and simple and keeps the slab portable.

Good luck with your build,

ken

JimA Thornton
02-23-2019, 11:12 PM
William,

The wood screw vise as installed by Will works a treat. If you want to have a bench that is portable that is the way to go. I'm not a fan of tail vises, at least 99% of the time there are better ways to hold the work. For that 1% where a tail vise is best a Veritas Wonder Dog works very well. If you just can't function without a tail vise I'd go for Will's wagon vise. It is light and simple and keeps the slab portable.

Good luck with your build,

ken

I had a wagon on my 40 year old workbench. I have a wagon vise on my newly finished workbench. Could I live without it..............yes. Would I want to live without it.............NO! It's like having an extra set of hands. I'm sure experienced woodworkers wouldn't want or need one.................but I sure do!

Jim

william nelson colorado
02-24-2019, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the information, gentlemen.

Ken, portability isn’t an issue for me. I like the design of the bench and am looking forward to the build, but I’m not planning on moving it around. Sure, it will be nice to be able to do so it I doubt I’ll move it after I build it.

Jim, if I am able to enjoy this bench for even half the time of your last bench, I’ll consider it a slam-dunk win!