PDA

View Full Version : upsize motor on Laguna lathe

Dean Moldenhauer
02-15-2019, 5:39 PM
Hello all,
I am contemplating my first lathe purchase - strongly considering the Laguna 12|16 since it seems to deliver a pretty good feature set for a decent price. However, I am also thinking about going ahead and purchasing a full-size lathe to start out, rather than buying a midi then deciding soon after to sell and upsize. Once I get into the full-size lathes, I am looking at the Laguna Revo 18|36. Believe me, I'm also drooling over the Oneway and Robust offerings, but not ready to take THAT giant a leap as a beginning turner.
Anyway... to my main question. Currently, I don't have 220V wired into my shop. It's in the plans eventually, but it means upsizing the feeder from the house, new panel, etc. - something I don't think I am going to get to immediately. So here are the options I can think of

Option 1) Get the 18|36 in the 110V, 1 1/2 HP that I could start using with my current electrical setup. Question is, if when I want to go to the 230V, 2 HP option, Is it just a matter of purchasing and installing the larger motor and the inverter or is there a lot more to it than that.

Option 2) Get the 18|36 in the 230V, 2 HP version now and buy a replacement 1 1/2 HP, 110V motor and swap it, then swap it back to the 230V, 2 HP motor and inverter when I get 220V in the shop? If you all are rolling your eyes at me right now, PLEASE tell me that is an idiotic thought :D

Option 3) Just buy the 12|16 now, get my feet wet and start building my turning chops with it and, by the time I decide to upsize, I will have 220v in the shop. Like some, I might decide to keep both lathes... I'm guessing this is the most sane option, but hoping to learn from some of your experiences/lessons learned.

Thanks,
Dean

tom lucas
02-15-2019, 5:55 PM
Not that big of a deal to switch to 220V. Talk to an electrician for the easiest way for your situation. Otherwise:

Option 3: Why go to the cost and trouble to retrofit a new machine with a weaker motor? 220v is THE way to go though. But, then there is reality......
Option 4: Grizzly is a better value
Option 5: Buy used
Option 6: if not looking to turn big things consider a tabletop lathe as a first step.

I'd look hard at used. Then go from there if nothing suitable is available.

Dean Moldenhauer
02-15-2019, 6:07 PM
Thanks, Tom. I have been looking at Craigslist and there just isn't too much out there right now in my general area. I am attending my first local Woodturners' club meeting next week, so I will start to make some face-to-face contacts and ask some of these questions there, too. I'm guessing this is also going to be one of my best ways to find out about used tools for sale as well.
I have looked at Grizzly, and their headquarters (in Washington State) are only a 1/2 hour drive from me. Problem is... they seem to be out of stock on most of the lathes I was looking at. Might not be an issue since I'm not in a huge hurry. I will probably swing by there in the next couple of weeks to lay eyes on what they have in the showroom and will definitely consider them if when they get re-stocked... if I haven't purchased anything yet.

Thanks for the advice.

Dean

tom lucas
02-15-2019, 6:23 PM
The local club will be a great resource for you. Also look on Facebook marketplace, and expand your range on CL. The right lathe might be worth driving for. If you can wait, I think the Grizzly 14" table top is a great starter lathe. I was going to get it, but couldn't wait and decided to just get a big lathe instead. I wanted a Powermatic, but just wasn't in the budget. Anyhow, I have 7 Grizzly tools and they have all be great for a hobbyist.

Jack Lilley
02-15-2019, 7:56 PM
The 1-1/2hp 1836 might be just fine, I have the 2hp model and it has lots of power. I have the 20" bed extension and have turned a couple 24" bowls with no lack of power. I have owned a g0766 and it is not a better value in my opinion, it is what you pay for. The 0766 claims to be 3hp but I'm not sure how that is determined, based on my own experience the 2hp 1836 has more torque and power, that's why I'm saying the 1-1/2hp might be just fine. Would be interesting to compare.

Dean Moldenhauer
02-15-2019, 8:17 PM
Thanks, Tom and Jack. I will go to the meeting next week and see if there are any leads on used. I don’t think I would quickly outgrow a 1-1/2 HP very quickly. About 5 years before I retire... trying to get most of the tools I want before then and get my shop set up, but I know some of my “needs” will change when I’m using the tools more frequently.

thanks again

tom lucas
02-15-2019, 8:51 PM
The 1-1/2hp 1836 might be just fine, I have the 2hp model and it has lots of power. I have the 20" bed extension and have turned a couple 24" bowls with no lack of power. I have owned a g0766 and it is not a better value in my opinion, it is what you pay for. The 0766 claims to be 3hp but I'm not sure how that is determined, based on my own experience the 2hp 1836 has more torque and power, that's why I'm saying the 1-1/2hp might be just fine. Would be interesting to compare.

Each to their own in terms of value. But the Grizzly offers more for a little less money. 22 vs 18 swing, 42 vs 36 bed, 3 vs 2 (or 1.5) HP. Earlier G0766's had some design deficiencies (too tall, banjo, tool rest) that have since been fixed. And lately, there seems to be a number of complaints about Laguna customer service. The Laguna is prettier, with fancier knobs, a better spindle lock, but that's the only advantage I see. And if you can live with 16" swing, Grizzly offers a number of choices for much less money than Laguna.

Now if you like the Laguna, I'm sure it's fine, but I wouldn't get the 1.5 HP and then plan to retrofit later simply because I didn't have 220 power. I'd fix the power problem first and then get the lathe I preferred. Or spend way less on a 120V lathe as a stop-gap, first lathe solution until I could fix my power problem. I was recommending the Grizzly G0844 for < $600 as a good "high value" starter lathe. Maybe a little light on HP, but certainly a whole lot cheaper and plenty for beginners. I know for my money I wouldn't spend $2400 on a 120V lathe.

Len Mullin
02-15-2019, 9:06 PM
Dean, if it was me starting out all over again, I'd do the same as I did this time. First I purchased a table-top lathe, and I had it permanently set-up on a Black & Decker Work-mate. And a couple of years after that, I bought a larger sized lathe a 14"x 42". The only mistake I made, was that I didn't but a good quality lathe. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have bought a better quality one. One that is larger, and one that doesn't have a reeves clutch on it. Granted, I've never had any issues with the clutch so far, but I'm a bit leary of it. Whatever you decide to do, good luck with your choice. I still own my two lathes, but I haven't been able to use them since I moved. But I soon hope to rectify that, I'm going to build a new shop.

Len

Len

Don Jarvie
02-15-2019, 9:06 PM
It’s easy to add a 220 line. Just run a 12 g line from the panel to an outlet. You need 2 slots in the box. An electrician can add a line easily and get the bigger motor. It will end up costing you more for the upgrade than the electrician.

tom lucas
02-15-2019, 9:40 PM
Dean,

I also want to point out that if your circuit has GFCI, a 120V lathe may constantly trip the circuit. It is my understanding that this is common when attempting to run on a GFCI.

tom lucas
02-15-2019, 9:46 PM
It’s easy to add a 220 line. Just run a 12 g line from the panel to an outlet. You need 2 slots in the box. An electrician can add a line easily and get the bigger motor. It will end up costing you more for the upgrade than the electrician.
And if 12 g were used for the original 120, it can be converted to 220 by changing the breaker and receptacle. However, there cannot be any (other) 120V outlets on that circuit.

Dean Moldenhauer
02-15-2019, 9:48 PM
Thank you, Len. I thought about a mini but am afraid I will outgrow that way too quickly. I figured a good middle ground was a midi and that’s why I thought the Revo 12-16 would be a good option. That will probably do what I’m interested in learning for a while. 12” with a 16” outboard capacity should do me for a while. I don’t think I’m going to do much spindle turning at first so maybe the 16” length will be sufficient.

I will look at some more midi-size options. I know I want variable speed and a speed readout. I was looking at the Jet but there were some complaints about the way the tool rest clamps down in the banjo. Will have to look at some more reviews. The tool snob in me keeps taking me back to the Robust Scout but, realistically, I don’t need to dump that kind of money into my first lathe...but boy it looks nice. So does the smaller Oneway, but same logic appli since it’s not far away on price.

lots of fun looking to do and discussions with the seasoned veterans at the woodturners’ club.

thanks,

Dean

Greg Parrish
02-15-2019, 9:58 PM
Just don’t loose sight of the fact that your lathe will be the cheap part. The chucks, jaws, tools and sharpening system will be shocking in cost once you get going. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. :)

I had a nova comet for starters but quickly moved to a laguna 18/36. I’d suggest going larger out of the gate unless you plan to have two lathes.

Dean Moldenhauer
02-15-2019, 10:08 PM
Thanks everybody!
i think I’m getting more and more convinced to go with a 120V “starter” lathe. I will take a closer look at the Grizzly in person but if they don’t solve their inventory problem by spring, that’s going to influence my buying decision. I think the G0766 is probably bigger than I will go at first. I will probably take a look at the G0844, but it’s only 3/4 HP.

I think I will get the upgraded power out to my barn/shop later in the spring. I actually have 220V out there for the well pump but I think it’s only a 10 AWG line from a 30A breaker in the house. I need to run a large enough feeder from the house to power a proper 100 or 125A sub-panel out in the barn. Then I can run a couple of dedicated 220v branch circuits and some more 120v circuits to the shop portion of the building. This lack of proper/sufficient power is also holding me back from getting the table saw I want as well, so there’s definitely some motivation.

Tom,
I will keep the GFCI issue in mind. The 120v circuits in my shop are currently on GFCI and I haven’t had any issues, but can see the potential with larger or certain kinds of loads. I will have some GFCI circuits for any extension cords I’m running outside, but those can be dedicated for that use once I get enough power out there to allow that flexibility.
also... I’m sure you’re right about the $2400, 120v lathe. I don’t think I would actually pull the trigger on that one, but theyve sure been fun to admire. I’m a sucker for really well-built tools :D

thanks again, guys. I really appreciate all the advice.

Dean

tom lucas
02-15-2019, 11:12 PM
Dean, I found the GFCI issue in a thread about an 18-36 that kept tripping the GFCI. The thread attributed it to the Delta controller. Not sure if that is fact or not. So, other lathes (like Nova) which use a different type of speed control may not suffer the same fate. search for it and read it for yourself.

Yeah, Grizzly stock comes and goes. I watched the G0844 out of stock for several months, most of last year. Then when they had stock I wasn't in the market. Then my lathed failed and I needed to replace it, but they were out of stock again on the G0844. Likely more coming "soon" and you should at least sign up for notifications when stock is replenished so that you have an opportunity to buy, should you chose to, when they have them. And while they don't list an extension, the extension they have for another midi looks like it would fit should you want to go longer at some point.

I think getting your shop properly powered first is the right move. then you can get better quality tools across the board without concern for having enough power for them. I love my 220V power tools, and my 120 V tools do sometimes aggravate me with tripped breakers. 220 is the way to go.

Stuart Kent
02-16-2019, 8:13 AM
Have you looked at the Robust Scout? It is a powerful lathe with outstanding features in a compact size. I turn on one, Carl Jacobson turns on one, and many other professional turners do as well. For many folks I know it fit all the right marks as the last lathe they would ever buy. They aren't budget machines but they are easily the best and you don't ever need to upgrade.

14" sing inboard, 21" outboard
26" between centers, 42 with extension
1 1/2hp 120v
stainless steel bed
premium tooling included
safety 'off' pressure bar
huge premium bearings
hardened spindle
excellent banjo and tail stock
100% American Made - including the motor
7 year head to tail warranty

Roger Chandler
02-16-2019, 10:50 AM
Just FYI, lathes with VFD’s don’t like GFCI outlets. The inverter will cause a fault to be read by the GFCI outlet, and trip, so always use standard plug in for a lathe with electronic speed control.

Dean Moldenhauer
02-16-2019, 11:25 AM
Stuart,
thanks for the input. Oh yeah...I’ve looked at the entire Robust line. I have considered the Scout but i would be into it for $4500 + after the lathe and stand. Since I am a rank beginner, I’m thinking of getting my feet wet with something less expensive to start. I want to see if turning is really something I end up loving. If so, I also want to figure out if a midi size will do everything I want to do or if I need to go larger. Who knows... I might fall in love with the craft and end up with a midi AND a full size that I use a lot. If that turns out to be the case, the Robust offerings will definitely be a consideration.

Roger, thanks for the further info on the potential issues with the GFCI. This could indeed be an issue with the current setup in my shop. I do have a 120v drop directly from the sub-panel to a duplex receptacle in my shop. I have an electric cord reel plugged in there, but the receptacle on that reel is GFCI. I will need to remember to plug into the other available port in that to have non-GFCI. Another reason for me to prioritize my electrical upgrade.

Thanks, guys.

tom lucas
02-16-2019, 12:23 PM
A tabletop Nova might also meet your needs. Some love them. I think they are kinda pricey for what they are, but it is an option to consider. I don't think they would have the GFCI issue either.

Dean Moldenhauer
02-16-2019, 12:50 PM
Tom,
I've looked at the Comet II a bit, but kind of gravitated from there to the Laguna Revo 12-16 because of the outboard capability, the HP increase and the VS display. The Revo would be more expensive though and would be susceptible to the GFCI issue. I am resolved to make non GFCI power available to whatever lathe I purchase and I can do that with my current power available.
if I go larger Without 220v, I will also entertain the Saturn or Galaxy DVR offerings from Nova. I have the Nova drill press and I like it. I will say, however, that the concerns that people have expressed about the potential for having to replace the entire DVR head does come into my mind and possible buying decision. Also, from my experience with my Nova drill press, there are a lot of cool features, but also a lot more button pushes than with more conventional lathes... even the VS models.

lots to think about. Thank you for all of your advice and input on things to consider.

Dean

Roger Chandler
02-16-2019, 2:10 PM
This is a high end benchtop, with big lathe features, and it is in use in some of the furniture schools, and every review I've heard about this lathe is superb. You might want to take a serious look at this because it may be just the ticket for what you want and serve you well for many years in the future! It is the Harvey T-40 and is made by the same company that makes the Powermatic lathes.https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1781/9323/products/practice_600x600.png?v=1522004987

John Keeton
02-16-2019, 2:31 PM
Although I have not seen the Harvey T-40 in person, it appears to have great features and an excellent lathe. However, I do think it is primarily for those that need a bench lathe. At $2900 shipped, it is not cheap and that kind of money will buy the Laguna Revo 1836 2hp. The shorter length could be a real issue for certain turnings, and though the headstock pivots, I don’t see any way to support a toolrest without some sort of outboard toolrest setup. There may be accessories available to accommodate that, but I haven’t researched that. In short, while seemingly a great lathe, unless floor space is an unavoidable issue, I wouldn’t go that route.

I admit as a very satisfied owner of the 1836 I am biased. With the potential to add the bed extension mounted low, one has a 32” swing. My turning interests have evolved and are now widely varied. I can’t see me ever wanting another lathe.

Just my thoughts.

Dan Bevilacqua
02-16-2019, 2:32 PM
Another to consider is the Jet 1640EVS. There is a great deal going on them right now at various places for about $2070.00. It is 1.5 hp, and it is a great lathe. They also have a good sale price on the Jet 1221vs (midi) which is also a great lathe. Jet has a 5 year warranty on the lathes.

Roger Chandler
02-16-2019, 2:45 PM
Although I have not seen the Harvey T-40 in person, it appears to have great features and an excellent lathe. However, I do think it is primarily for those that need a bench lathe. At $2900 shipped, it is not cheap and that kind of money will buy the Laguna Revo 1836 2hp. The shorter length could be a real issue for certain turnings, and though the headstock pivots, I don’t see any way to support a toolrest without some sort of outboard toolrest setup. There may be accessories available to accommodate that, but I haven’t researched that. In short, while seemingly a great lathe, unless floor space is an unavoidable issue, I wouldn’t go that route.

I admit as a very satisfied owner of the 1836 I am biased. With the potential to add the bed extension mounted low, one has a 32” swing. My turning interests have evolved and are now widely varied. I can’t see me ever wanting another lathe.

Just my thoughts.

Just as you mention there are additional accessories, like a bed extension and stand available for this lathe. For a person who may not have any floor space available in their small shops, and still want a fine benchtop lathe that will serve them well, and have flexibility to upgrade, this is a great option, and it is a bit pricey, but has the same build quality as the Revo 18/36 and the Powermatic.......same company makes all three brands, plus the flagship Grizzly G0800, and other models like their G0799 and G0835.

Dean Moldenhauer
02-16-2019, 3:17 PM
Roger, interesting that you mention the Harvey T-40. I looked at that one because it jumped out at me on the Woodcraft site as being, by far, the most expensive midi sized lathe on their site... it’s up there with the Canadian made Oneway, which seemed unusual because of it being an Asian import. There are some things I really liked about it and I will do some more digging to educate myself on it.

Stuart, one of the videos I saw on the Harvey had you reviewing it. Sounds like you have been pretty impressed with it in its use at the furniture school. Is that still the case? It’s pretty darn expensive compared to other imports of similar size... is it an apples-to-oranges comparison with the likes of the Laguna, Nova, etc?

Dan, I’ll take a look at the Jet 1640... I don’t think I’ve looked at it much yet. I did some looking at the 1221, but I’ll be honest...the reviews that showed the issues with the tool rest clamp (grub screw) kinda turned me off. Right or wrong, that one thing really looked like a major weakness that had me looking elsewhere.

again, thanks all for such generous input and advice. If I counter any of your suggestions with any objection, it’s really just to invite more input and personal experience and not meant to discount your suggestion. Admittedly, ALL of my opinions at this point are based on gut feel and others’ reviews. No hands-on so take that for what it’s worth.

thanks,

Dean

Barry McFadden
02-16-2019, 4:10 PM
Each to their own in terms of value. But the Grizzly offers more for a little less money. 22 vs 18 swing, 42 vs 36 bed, 3 vs 2 (or 1.5) HP. Earlier G0766's had some design deficiencies (too tall, banjo, tool rest) that have since been fixed. And lately, there seems to be a number of complaints about Laguna customer service.

Funny..... I've only seen one minor complaint about Laguna lately compared to a never ending stream of Grizzly complaints....

tom lucas
02-16-2019, 5:48 PM
Funny..... I've only seen one minor complaint about Laguna lately compared to a never ending stream of Grizzly complaints....

Really? I went back 2 years. One Grizzly complaint, two Laguna. And Grizzly probably sells 4 times as many lathes, given the breadth of offerings compared to Laguna. Please show me where there is this
never ending stream? Further, I've followed Grizzly for years. They almost always get good reviews for customer service. Can't say that for Laguna, even with their very limited product offering. I think the 1836 is a fine lathe. But it's not a better lathe. Just a different one.

Dan Bevilacqua
02-16-2019, 6:18 PM

...?

Dan, I’ll take a look at the Jet 1640... I don’t think I’ve looked at it much yet. I did some looking at the 1221, but I’ll be honest...the reviews that showed the issues with the tool rest clamp (grub screw) kinda turned me off. Right or wrong, that one thing really looked like a major weakness that had me looking elsewhere.

thanks,

Dean

Dean, I have no issues whatsoever with the tool rest clamp on the 1221. As to the 1640evs, it is a great lathe, and right now at a fantastic price. The tool rest clamp on the 1640 is not a grub screw type. It is a clamping mechanism. You will also note in your research of the 1640evs, that it has 3 spindle bearings (two at the nose and one at the rear. I find the horsepower to be plenty. If you have any specific questions about the 1640, please feel free to ask. If you have the space and the cash, you could not go wrong with the 1640. If you deem at a later date, that you want more HP, then if the 1640 is anything like it's predecessor (1642), then it should have a very good resale value.

Richard Coers
02-16-2019, 6:21 PM
For someone who has never had a lathe, you sure have made a lot of assumptions about what you want or don't want. What if you don't like it at all? It's different than any other woodworking. It takes a tremendous amount of eye/hand coordination, PLUS some artistic bent as well. Not like sliding something along a fence or jig. It's silly to turn pens, tops, little boxes, and Christmas ornaments on a big 2hp lathe. So start with a mini or midi and learn the skills. Very few turners only have one lathe. No one should start making 18" diameter bowls to learn how to turn anyway.

Stuart Kent
02-16-2019, 8:11 PM

Just my thoughts.

the Harvey is a superb lathe, and might also be a good choice here. it has a CNC servo motor that is incredibly strong, efficient and quiet. If you need more length, add an extension. There is an outboard support accessory. Harvey is the company that manufactures everything for Laguna, Grizzly, and several others - but the Harvey branded machines are their premium line and have features that are totally unique to their brand.

Dean Moldenhauer
02-16-2019, 8:48 PM
Richard,
No argument here... I have made a lot of initial assumptions about what I think I want. That has been the way I have researched just about every major tool purchase I’ve made. Sometimes my initial assumptions are right, sometimes not. If I don’t like woodturning, then I’ll chalk the purchase up to a lesson learned. That is one reason why, while I may be looking at and considering higher end lathes, I will most likely end up with a quality, but not top of the line midi size. But, I’m ruling out very few options at this time.
My hand/eye coordination is pretty decent and I’ve got a bit of artistic blood. I guess we’ll see if it’s enough to qualify me to own a lathe. I mean... since all I’ve done so far is slide wood along a fence...;)

You’re right, and I do need to keep in mind that I will likely spend a fair amount of time for a while making smaller items and building up some skill and confidence. A midi would suit me better for that. I guess I am guilty of trying to get a one size fits all machine - although I know from everything I’ve read that likely that won’t be reality.

Thanks once again for all the food for thought. I’m really looking forward to talking to some folks face to face and getting a chance to actually try my hand on a lathe before I pull the trigger. Everyone’s input and advice helps me know even more what to ask and look for.

Dean

Dean Moldenhauer
02-16-2019, 8:53 PM
Thanks, Stuart, for the follow up on the Harvey. Probably out of my league as a recovering wood slider (:D) but sure a nice option to consider.

Dean

Alex Zeller
02-16-2019, 9:37 PM
One of the best things about an on-line forum is that there's always an endless supply of people who will help you spend your money, lol. As for the 220v question, do you have 220v outlets in your house that you can run an extension cord to? For example an oven or dryer? It may not be possible or a safety hazard (people tripping over it) but only you can say for sure. If you plan on turning often it also could be an issue. But if you are only going to have a limited amount of time to use the lathe and a cord would work to get you buy until you can put in a new line. There's options that might work.

Barry McFadden
02-16-2019, 9:40 PM
Really? I went back 2 years. One Grizzly complaint, two Laguna. And Grizzly probably sells 4 times as many lathes, given the breadth of offerings compared to Laguna. Please show me where there is this
never ending stream? Further, I've followed Grizzly for years. They almost always get good reviews for customer service. Can't say that for Laguna, even with their very limited product offering. I think the 1836 is a fine lathe. But it's not a better lathe. Just a different one.

I remember just looking at this complaint..... dustin wassner
dustin wassner is offline [OP] Member

I have contacted Grizzly twice now about the issue and am still waiting to hear back.

The spindle turns easily and freely through its rotation. It has no runout and has no play moving forward and back.

I cleaned the underside of the headstock and after clamping it to the bed went along the entire area where the headstock and bed contact with a .0015 feeler gauge and could not slide it in anywhere.

I have tried moving the headstock to the far left and right on the bed and the middle and the issue does not change. This tells me that it is NOT a platform issue, since moving the headstock will considerably change the weight on each leg.

This morning I pulled the motor out and while holding it in my arms with the belt on its pulley and the spindle pulley I had my wife slowly turn the rpm up to the problem range. The vibration was not as much but was still there. That would eliminate the motor and its pulley from being the issue, so it must be either the headstock itself, the spindle, or its pulley.

Not sure if I mentioned this, but I put the grizzly faceplate on the spindle, and also tried my large cast iron oneway faceplate, and brought it up to the problem rpm range and the range not only was a little wider, but was considerably worse.

************************************************** ************************************************** ********************************************
After calling Grizzly a FOURTH time, I was told that the machine is within specification and that the vibration occurring is caused from the VFD.

I can send the machine it at my own expense and have it tested...

This is ridiculous
************************************************** ************************************************** **************

I also remember seeing posts with pictures of a lathe with all the motor mount bolts bent and others delivered that had not been secured properly in the shipping crate resulting in dents and scratches... and comments about waiting months for replacement parts... and some posts saying they were happy with Grizzly CS for sending a new part even though it was months to get it...oh well, some people are happy to put up with that for a cheap price I guess...

tom lucas
02-16-2019, 11:22 PM
I remember just looking at this complaint..... dustin wassner
dustin wassner is offline [OP] Member

So you found the one. Hardly constitutes "streams". Grizzly sells over 15 different wood lathes. They likely sell several hundred units a year. Surely there will be some issues with the range of products they offer. And no one is claiming they are top-of-the-line. Laguna sells 2 models, and has more complaints in the last year on this forum than Grizzly even though Laguna surely has a much smaller population of users. The rest is just anecdotal. One or two CS complaints out of thousands of products sold is pretty good, I think. One or two out of a few hundred sold? Well that makes you think.

I wanted a top-shelf machine: Powermatic, Robust, One-way, but they are too expensive right now, which left me to consider the next tier: Grizzly, Laguna, Jet, Nova. I really like the Laguna and was seriously considering the 1836, but when it came to best bang for the buck, I decided on the Grizzly after reading that they had remedied the G0766's shortcomings. I know it gives me more swing, more length, and more HP without sacrificing anything. I own 7 different Grizzly floor power tools. All of them have served me well without issue. We all justify our purchases, and presumably evaluate brand vs value. I surely could've went with the Laguna, but my reasoning tells me that the G0766 gives me better value. That suits me just fine and I know it'll serve me well for years to come, as I'm sure a Laguna would have too.

I don't place high value on aesthetics when it comes to machines. All that matters is function and reliability. How pretty it looks is at best tertiary in importance. Iin short order, it's going to be dirty, chipped, and splattered with finishes anyway.

As for shipping protection. My G0766 was nicely packaged in a plywood crate with steel retainers and big bolt hold-downs, devoid of any movement or damage. All parts where they should be. This was no different on the other tools I purchased new from them.

I do wish Grizzly would stop using UPS. They are the absolute worst carrier. I have gotten more stuff abused by them than by any other service, and they won't delivery on Saturdays.

Bill Blasic
02-17-2019, 7:46 AM
You can turn small stuff say maybe up to 12" on a midi but you can't turn big stuff. On a big lathe you can turn small stuff and big stuff. You can buy a Grizzly or a Laguna but if something goes wrong you are the mechanic to fix it, and you only get 1 year of warranty. Every lathe in my shop came with 5 years of warranty. It is my belief that a company that warrants their equipment for 5 years it is a fairly safe bet that you will have a trouble free lathe. One of my students was looking for a lathe and I told him to look at the Grizzly but I cautioned about the above. He got it and within two weeks had to disassemble the head stock to fix something that should not have left the factory. A few more problems but now has it running OK. You can see that equipment from manufactures have their proponents who think their equipment is the best and defend them to the end. I started with bigger lathes and added smaller later and would still do it that way today. My lathes are 14 to 18 years old and all but one have been problem free. The one was my DVR that had a board failure and they had the new board in my hands in 5 days and it has been trouble free for the past 15 years.

John Keeton
02-17-2019, 8:11 AM
This thread has deteriorated and drifted from the OP’s concerns, but perhaps he can sift thru the mess!

Barry McFadden
02-17-2019, 9:25 AM
This thread has deteriorated and drifted from the OP’s concerns, but perhaps he can sift thru the mess!

I agree with you completely John.... I certainly don't want to hijack it any further....no more replies on the matter from me.....

Dean Moldenhauer
02-17-2019, 11:40 AM
Thanks, Bill and John. I’m pretty good at sifting ;). I’ve gotten a lot of good advice from this thread. Still Considering a lot of options about size, price, technology, etc. I will continue to research here and elsewhere and pick the brains at the club meeting this coming week. I’ll try to get my hands on a lathe or two (or 10) and see what kind of impressions I get. The club I’m going to visit has “Sawdust Saturdays” where I may be able to get some simple hands-on experience that will undoubtedly help me make my decision. I’m betting I will feel most comfortable starting with something smaller and then moving up if my enthusiasm/capability/needs dictate. We’ll see.

thanks again, all, for the help.

Dean

Peter Christensen
02-17-2019, 12:18 PM
You could get a portable generator and the 220v lathe until you have the barn wired and then either sell it or keep it for extended power failures.

David Hill
02-17-2019, 12:21 PM
Knowing what I know now, ....get the bigger lathe. I started my journey buying lathes stepwise— buy one a little bigger each time, since there happened to be one on CL. I gained (paid for) lots of experiential knowledge of different lathes. I have stopped now— am keeping the current ones (a Nova 16-24, Laguna 1847,and my Robust AB :) ) no need to upgrade. You can “upgrade” the Laguna to 220 later, might gain maybe a half horse.
you can always turn smaller stuff on a big lathe— but not vice versa.

Roger Chandler
02-17-2019, 1:57 PM
You could get a portable generator and the 220v lathe until you have the barn wired and then either sell it or keep it for extended power failures.
One had better be VERY CAREFUL using a generator to power a lathe. Most do not support the correct sine-wave that a VFD needs to operate properly. There are some higher end units that are made to power electronics, but the average generator like used for power outages, is a no go......that info was relayed to me by an electrical engineer, and I trust his judgment!

Peter Christensen
02-17-2019, 2:17 PM
Thanks I'll keep it in mind should I ever need one.

louis pittman
02-23-2019, 10:00 AM
the 1836 240 volt 2 hp motor is not but 100.00 dollars more i think

Don Jarvie
02-23-2019, 9:49 PM
Maybe to circle back after 3 pages. It’s cheaper in the long run to have the shop wired for the lathe you want than to skimp and buy a smaller lathe only to upgrade later for more money. If you like the Laguna 18/32 then get the bigger motor and pay the electrician to run 220.

Remember any motor upgrade grade will cost the upgrade plus electrician and you need to do the upgrade yourself. If you feel you want to get a small lathe which runs on 110 and see if you enjoy turning go for it. Most of us started that way.

Dean Moldenhauer
02-26-2019, 9:07 AM
Thanks, guys.
That was part of the plan - to get an electrician out to upgrade the service from the house to the barn so I have some additional capacity in the barn/shop. 240V is there now, but a little janky and really only sized sufficiently to handle the well pump and some lights and 120V receptacles. It's time to redo it right and get the right power out to the shop. I have plans for other tools that will need the 240V so it's time. I've made the appointment with the electrician to come out and take a look at the job so maybe I will have the 240V I want by April some time.
All that being said, I have ordered a smaller 120V, 1 HP lathe for now. Went to the club meeting, joined the club and participated in a 1-day 101 class and I am excited to get my own lathe and start doing more practice and then actually making something useful. I think the smaller lathe will serve me well while I learn and probably become a permanent part of the shop, even if/when I decide to upsize. From what I hear/read, It's pretty common for guys who enjoy turning to have a couple of lathes. We'll see... the small one may do everything I need forever... that does happen sometime, doesn't it ;) ?
In the meantime before my lathe shows up, I will have to make do with the monthly hands-on club events or taking some of the club members' up on their invitation to visit their shops.

Thanks for all the advice.

Dean