PDA

View Full Version : Curly Black Walnut

Mark Cothren
12-05-2005, 7:16 PM
Here's a platter I turned a while back and just now got around to turning a base for it and mounting the hardware for a Lazy Susan for LOML. Just a plain, flat platter, but the beauty of the wood kinda makes up for that, IMO...:D

God grew it - Dennis donated it. Thanks to both!

Platter is 13-3/8" in diameter. Base is 8" in diameter. Total height is 2-7/8". Comments, suggestions, criticisms, witty pithicisms, etc... all welcome...:)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/BW_platter01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/BW_platter02.jpg

Steve Knowlton
12-05-2005, 7:28 PM
Awesome. I Love The Wavy Look. Great Job

Joe Tonich
12-05-2005, 7:28 PM
Comments, suggestions, criticisms, witty pithicisms, etc... all welcome...:)

The only suggestion I could make on that platter is to send it to O-HI-O. :D

And quit usin them big words like pithicisms.........I can't find my dictionary and ya make my head hurt. :mad: :p

Other than that.......it looks SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Well done!!

Joe

Dennis Peacock
12-05-2005, 7:39 PM
Looks real purdy there Mark. No shop time tonight as I'm still stuck at work.

Maybe I can get you to help me finish up mine one of these day.

Really nice platter and you did real good..!!!!!!!!!!:D

Andy Hoyt
12-05-2005, 7:44 PM
.... God grew it - Dennis donated it.

Mark turned it, and I admired it.

Travis Stinson
12-05-2005, 7:49 PM
Beautiful, just beautiful.:)

Michael Stafford
12-05-2005, 7:59 PM
Don't you dare send that beautiful piece of wood to Ohio. Joe is too cheap to pay for the shipping. Now send it to me and I will pay for the shipping. Mark a lovely piece of wood and a nice piece for the family to enjoy every day.

Dennis Peacock
12-05-2005, 8:01 PM
Don't you dare send that beautiful piece of wood to Ohio. Joe is too cheap to pay for the shipping. Now send it to me and I will pay for the shipping. Mark a lovely piece of wood and a nice piece for the family to enjoy every day.

Shoot, Mark ain't gotta ship it anywhere.!!!! I'll be glad to go and pick it up for the LOML to have and hold.!!!!:rolleyes: :p :D

Bill Stevener
12-05-2005, 8:04 PM
One outstanding piece of work, and the wood just doesn't get much better.
Really looks nice in my window.
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Carole Valentine
12-05-2005, 9:01 PM
Mark,
I think you definitely did the right thing by choosing a flat form. Anything else would detract from the beauty of that wood!:)

John Hart
12-05-2005, 9:25 PM
Yep...Flat for that piece of wood is perfect. It looks alive Mark and the variations of color are a treat. Exceptional.

Jim Ketron
12-05-2005, 9:31 PM
Lots of Curl in that Walnut.
Nice Job Mark!

John Miliunas
12-05-2005, 9:41 PM
Simple, but functional. Clean, well done and that figuring is to die for!!!!:D Absolutely wonderful, Mark! Now, you're not going to let the LOYL actually put anything on it, are you????:eek: :D :cool:

Keith Burns
12-05-2005, 9:53 PM
Dennis may be closer but I'd drive to Arkansas to pick it up:D . Another winner for sure.

Dick Parr
12-05-2005, 10:34 PM
That is a wonderful piece of wood Mark, you brought out the best in it.:)

Robert Watsek
12-05-2005, 11:26 PM
Hey Mark! it sounds to me like you should start taking bids on that platter and maybe you can get enough to buy Renel a new Laguna mini max, whatcha think?:confused: :D

Bob

Mark Cothren
12-06-2005, 7:44 AM
Hey Bob, I'm all for that one! But I doubt Renell would be impressed with yet another tool in the shop...:) She's ready for me to start using something besides the lathe... Dennis is helping me (or I'm helping him) build a little flat box - and believe it or not, it's FUN! (that's right Travis, flat work is fun :eek: ).

Thanks,
Mark

Jim Becker
12-06-2005, 10:23 AM
Very nice curl in that piece, Mark. It's going to get even better as it ages and gets more "honey" colored over time...it will just sparkle!