PDA

View Full Version : New Project, a "Chester Drawers"

steven c newman
02-13-2019, 10:07 PM
First, a little "backstory", if you will. Long time ago( about Norm's first or second season) I started out in a 2-1/2 car garage shop...started making the usual hope chests/toy boxes, porch benchs, tables....then someone asked IF I could build a chest of drawers? I hadn't, yet, but gave it a try. Got to the point, word of mouth, and I was building about one a week..delivered. Had to find a few ways to move things along quicker....

So, I developed a few ways to quickly build a 4 or 5 drawer chest of drawers...IF everything was in the shop on a Saturday morning...I was able to have something standing there, awaiting a finish on Sunday. Got pretty good at changing saw blade set-ups, too.....Throw in the other items people were wanting me to build....got to be too much like just a job, and I already had one, Had sold and delivered over 130 chest of drawers....was getting a bit much.

later, I toned things down, mainly just friends and family orders. Thought I could, with this next project, go over some of the things I did to build a chest of drawers...won't be any deadlines to meet, no real "Delivery" date. Basically, I took Norm Abram's 3 drawer chest of drawers, changed a few details. Instead of glued up panels for the sides, I made a frame & panel side. Instead of a glued up panel for the top, I designed a frame & panel style. One of the old selling points, I could climb up and sit on top of any of the chest of drawers I made. " 'ell fer stout".....So, if nobody minds, this next project will be about a new, improved version....

I start with a trip to the lumberyards. Usually, I pick through, getting the best #2 Pine they have. Used to involve 2 x 4s, and 1 x s....A 1 x 8 x8' plank was enough for one drawer. 2 x 4s...needed four corner posts, the other 3 out of the 5 were ripped down into 1 x 2s. Webframes, kickers, rails for between the corner posts...plywood for the panels. Plus for the back of the case, and into a frame around the top. Used this sort of construction on the dresser I build for the Dungeon Shop a while back....

I had a note pad in the shop....I needed to lay out the drawer spacings, and other details....wasn't a "formal" plan...well, today..I drew up a modern version of that "plan"
Shaky hands don't work that well, this is a view from the side of the case..
A view from the front....bottom rail may get a bit fancy...older ones were just straight across
IF you were to look straight down the side panel, this is what you would find. The rail sits in rebates into the corner posts, rail also has a rebate to house a plywood panel. Posts are 1" thick, rails are 3/4" thick. Usually, a cove , or round-over detail between them. All these cuts were done at the tablesaw.

Lumber has been bought, most of it...so, today I hauled a few 1 x 2s to the shop...goal was to crosscut parts for the webframes...and maybe have them assembled by this weekend. Not as fast as I used to be...
Needed 12 stiles, and 12 rails, the two "extras" are for the 17" long kickers. Stiles got a groove milled on the tablesaw, just like the old days...
These are 24" long. Set up the fence, and made a couple passes, to center the groove..
usually had a thin strip running right down the center....old days meant a quick adjust to the fence...now a days, I use a thin chisel( Has an Arrow logo) Plane is for leveling things a bit, flattening out a few curves/hills
Junior Jack, Millers Falls No. 11, Type 2. First half are done, second half is waiting their turn. Reset the fence and blade on the saw, and made a test tenon..
Once I get this to fit the way I want, I can run the rails through. 4 rails, though, will need to be a tad thicker on the tenons...will do all that..tomorrow..back was having issues, and the Laundry ( i was on Laundry Detail) was done, I swept the floor, and hauled the clothes upstairs...that be enough, for one day..:confused:

Stay tuned...7 days since surgery....trying to get moving around a bit better...:rolleyes:

Stew Denton
02-13-2019, 11:02 PM
Steven,

Given your background in making these, this is going to be a fun build to follow, and also one where I will continue to learn from.

Looking forward to it!

Hope you are doing well with the recovery. I had surgery about 2&1/2 weeks ago, but at least got to go back to work after a dozen days. It is what it is, and I am on light duty, 20 lbs weight limit, but our superintendent told me that MY weight limit while at work is not 20 lbs, it is the weight of my (fairly good sized) coffee cup. Fortunately quite a bit of what I do does not involve heavy work. If I have to do heavier work I have to go get help.

Thank you for the build, again it is going to be fun to follow. I am sure that there will be a lot of us following it!

Stew

Peter Widders
02-14-2019, 4:45 PM
Steven,
Looking forward to this one.
I am getting closer to a start on 2 very similar units - made in Victorian Ash: a local hardwood down here.
Mine will also have 5 drawers each with heights pretty much as you have drawn. I think I will be considerably slower than you.
Hope the recovery goes well.
Peter

steven c newman
02-14-2019, 7:29 PM
Been a bit slow, today....all the tenons have been milled and fitted..
Tenons were cut on the tablesaw...had to keep adjusting the blade height, to either thicken, or thin to match a groove...Clamps kept things neat on the bench, and things didn't fall over..
And, in case a tenon was a hair too fat...we have ways...chin-powered tenon trimmer.

Then a "little assembly" was tried....first, I needed to find enough stock to make 7 kickers..
Then drill and counter-sink each end for a screw. 3/4" wire nails and glue to join the frames...used a clamp to pull things tight, and a square....finally, got 3 frames done!
Will try to do the other 3 frames tomorrow?
Still using the old countersink drill...
1-1/8" long screw, and a smear of glue....roughly centered on the frame....
"Couple of brads, while the glue dries"....
Kind of tired and sore, I think that will be enough "PT" for today...
Stay tuned..

steven c newman
02-17-2019, 2:48 PM
Blood thinners caused a few problems...where the Gall Bladder USED to be...is a hemotoma....so I spent MOST of the weekend in Lima Memorial Hospital...just got home a little bit ago...

I did stop in at the Harbor Freight store....needed a few new clamps....

need a good solid, 8 hour sleep,,,,the kind the Hospitals never let you get....then maybe some shop time...

Jim Koepke
02-17-2019, 3:10 PM
need a good solid, 8 hour sleep,,,,the kind the Hospitals never let you get...

One of the worst things in the hospital is when they sneak into your room at 3:00am and are standing right over your bed reading the monitors and they wake you up. It always scared the bejebbers out of me. After a while they finally followed my request of making a little noise when the came in. If they are going to wake you up at least they can do it in a way that doesn't set your heart to racing and makes it hard to fall back to sleep.

jtk

Stew Denton
02-17-2019, 3:34 PM
Hey Steven,

Good idea, I think it is a good idea to get some rest and get well after an event that is such that you had to be in the hospital. I am going fairly easy at it also for a while. It is a little over a week until I can get off of light duty.

(I got chewed out by my wife a bit yesterday.....seems she didn't think it was a good idea for me to be using a belt sander.....she even weighed it on one of her scales. Fortunately it was only 14 pounds, but I was sure it was less than my 20 pound weight limit. She was not convinced until she weighed it. Even so I got a mild chew out, I think just for general principles and she didn't think I should be doing the belt sanding yet. If it had been over 20 pounds I would have been in bigger trouble.)

Stew

JimA Thornton
02-17-2019, 5:18 PM
One of the worst things in the hospital is when they sneak into your room at 3:00am and are standing right over your bed reading the monitors and they wake you up. It always scared the bejebbers out of me. After a while they finally followed my request of making a little noise when the came in. If they are going to wake you up at least they can do it in a way that doesn't set your heart to racing and makes it hard to fall back to sleep.

jtk

The one I hate, in the hospital, is when they come in in the evening and wake you up to give you your sleeping pill!

Jim

steven c newman
02-17-2019, 7:14 PM
Was just going to take two Harbor Freight "F" style clamps ( bought them on the way home, today) to the shop....wound up giving the 24" one a try out. Last three webframes are now built...no issues with the clamp. Also picked up a couple 4" C clamps....might need them...later.

And that was it for today. All the kickers have been trimmed flush. Letting the last 3 frames dry. Depending on the Boss, need to buy a couple boards, tomorrow...

steven c newman
02-18-2019, 2:29 PM
Ok..webframes are done..
The frame for the bottom of the case hase 2 kickers....more or less as a "backup" for the bottom of the face frame...
Used this vintage saw to cut the two 2 x 4 x 8's down to 43" long...which left a 10" set up block..
Which I can use to set up the tablesaw cuts....
After I ripped the edges off, I had things set for 3" wide...blade did not cut all the way..
Missed by that much, Chief. Flip boards over, finish the cuts...
Same with these...in order to get to 1" thick...put a brand new blade on the bandsaw, and completed the cuts..
Stay tuned, more to come, BRB

steven c newman
02-18-2019, 2:43 PM
Hmmm, not sure how those "thumbnails" were posted, I didn't..
Once the scraps were split off and out of the way..
Had to run a plane along the sawn face...
Nice, flat and smooth. Then set up for a couple rebates...
Front posts only get one rebate...rails and plywood panels will get nailed and glued here...
The back posts also get a rebate for a plywood back
Need to clean these up a bit. Just two tablesaw set ups per rebate...
Set up for one cut, run all four post through, set up for the other cut, and run all four posts through. Then set up for the two cuts for the back.
Set these aside...was just about enough fun for today...

Need to haul the 1 x 4s to the shop, next. Reserve the best 26" lengths fo the face frame top and bottom....rest will get get to about 13" long,,and size for rails for the sides of the case.

Stay tuned...:D

steven c newman
02-19-2019, 1:01 AM
1 x 4s have been cut down. Found two sections 26" long without issues. The rest were cut to 13-1/2" long...then all the rebates were milled.
3" bottom rails, and 2-1/4" top rails. rebates on the ends are 3/4". leaves about a 1/4" left. rebate down the sides are 1/4" deep, by 1/2" wide....

Alos milled 8 mid rails..
Details?
Used the same thickness plywood, to set the sizes..
Will be cutting panels to the correct sizes, as soon as I figure them out. Add a webframe..
Will use that to help lay out the drawer openings.
Too many Doctor visits this week....might be a little while, before I get any more shop time..
Stay tuned..:D

Marshall Harrison
02-19-2019, 7:44 AM
I'm enjoying this project Steven and look forward to the rest of it.

But I am disappointed in your original post. I was really looking forward to reading why you called it a "Chester Drawers".

You started out talking about Norm so I was anticipating a story on how Norm called it that in his early days. Or maybe a story about a grandkid or favorite uncle who called it a Chester Drawers.

Don't leave us hanging.

I hope you get better soon so you can spend more time in the shop. Same goes for you Stew.

steven c newman
02-19-2019, 9:08 AM
Depends on where one is at....and how fast you saw it.....hard to write in Norm's accent. Some say "Chest-a draws", Some drag it out..'Chest ...of..Drawers". Some just blur the three words together into "Chester Drawers".

Season 1 of the New Yankee Workshop, Norm made a 3 drawer piece. Except he used glued up panels for the sides and the top...

Today, and the next two days....travel to see a different Doctor each day, each in a different city. Can't get a whole lot done, while driving around, all day.

steven c newman
02-19-2019, 9:31 PM
Ok, clean bill of health from the Surgeon that worked me over...except for a restriction...nothing over 10 pounds, for the next 30 days. There goes using the Stanley No.8....:rolleyes:
On the way home, did a little shopping....plywood for drawer bottoms, the back of the case. 2 good 1 x 2s for the face frame. and a few supplies.

Did a bit of layout work....clamped the pairs of corner post together, rebate to rebate...
had to decide which end would be the "top" of the case...then start from there...
3 lines...corner block, webframe, kicker....which is why the top rail is a bit wider
from the "kicker" line down to the top of the next webframe is 5"..
These rails cover just the frame and kicker....repeat until I reached the bottom....two spaces @ 5", and the next three @ 6-1/2"
Which left a bit to make into feet, of some sort...needed to clamp one set of post, and it's rails into a dry fit..
So I could go along and measure the sizes of the plywood panels I need to cut....
And that was it, for today..
IF I can't get to the next Doctor's Office tomorrow..( 5" of snow forecast) I may just hang out in the shop...have a new blade for the tablesaw
See how it does on plywood...

Stay tuned :D

steven c newman
02-20-2019, 10:20 AM
Due to the nasty weather outside....had to reschedule the Doctor's appointment for today....which leaves the entire day to hide out IN the shop.....anyone want to stop by and help out?

Need feet profiles cut on the posts. Need a small cove bit run along a few edges...

Need to cut a few plywood panels.....and maybe try a bit of assembly later?

Film when I get done....may get started here, after Lunch?

steven c newman
02-20-2019, 4:26 PM
Lets see...rebates needed cleaned up on the corner posts..
Mainly the ones to house the back of the case...set up a pattern, to cut a detail
Has a nice, easy to cut curve...
Then over to the bandsaw (old style would just be a straight line, tablesaw cut)
Needed to get this done, before the cove cutter came along..
Not much room...
Got all 4 posts milled, and sanded down smooth. Then set up to cove the rails..
Top rail and a mid rail. Top rail only gets one cove. All the rest get two.
Tried to hold the rails between dogs....wanted to rock...mid rails at least.....stuck that skinny part on their back into the vise...had just enough room.
All the coves were now done.....took a short break, had to sweep the floors and general clean-up....
Stay tuned, BRB

steven c newman
02-20-2019, 4:43 PM
Ok, clean up done....Installed that new saw blade in the tablesaw...
And made all the plywood panels...once I remembered which way the grain was to go..
Then cleared the top of the saw....and set up to assemble one side of the case..all parts are face down, during assembly..
Top rail installed. Added a couple clamps to draw things tight...Square to check the corners...3 nails each side. then added a panel and a mid rail..
Panel sits in a bead of glue, all the way around. 3 nails at the corner posts, one nail into the mid rail. Mid rail checked for square, and nailed. Then work the rest of the way down..
can set this one aside...
And start on the other side of the case...
Since the nails were only 1/2" long, I needed those pliers to save me fingers....
Got both sides of the case assembled....
Taking a very LONG break, right now...might have done just enough for one day. Still have to drill pilot holes one the ends of the webframes, and attach those with a few 2" long screws.

steven c newman
02-21-2019, 9:32 AM
Had to return to the shop last night....cold fingers had somehow allowed the wedding ring to come off the finger...somewhere. While IN the shop, looking through the sawdust ( nothing..)I also got the clothes out of the dryer, to bring upstairs....decided to try out a pilot drill and bit...and a countersink and brace...wound up attaching three webframes to one of the sides..screws, and glue...have a Doctor's appointment this morning....will see how I am doing when I get back home.....may try to finish the case?

I worked a LOT faster, back then....I would have only needed 4 hours to get this far into a build....kind of taking my time, nowadays? Hope nobody minds this slower pace...:rolleyes:

steven c newman
02-21-2019, 6:03 PM
Took a while....but
With a bead of glue under each frame...2" screws. Got one side assembled..
Working with the rebate towards me, as I wanted each frame flush with the rebate..
So the back panel has some support..
About like this. Then the tricky part....set this assembly aside, set the other side onto the "work table" and add a bead of glue to each frame, lift the assembly up onto side 2, line up all the marks....and add a few screws. Added a few clamps, while the glue and screws cure out...
Letting this sit awhile, before I can set it on it's own four feet. Then cut a back panel to size, and install it....and keep the case squared up. Then, maybe work on a face frame?
Tool?
Pilot hole drill, countersink brace...nothing fancy. Screws sit in a counter sunk pilot hole
Old days, these were counter-bored with a spade bit....with a strip of masking tape as a depth gauge. :eek:

steven c newman
02-22-2019, 5:11 PM
Need to set this down onto the floor, without the clamps. need the tablesaw to cut a panel for the back of the case, then see about attaching the back, while getting, and keeping the case square...anyone want to stop by, and help out?:confused: May need to use a chalk line to mark one edge. Cut-off from that will yield two drawer bottoms..IF I cut it just right..:rolleyes:

May attach the face frame parts to the front, with a dovetail connection...and a single, counter-bored screw in the center. Olden Days, in the North Main Street Shop, I was just using a bead of glue, and a few ring shanked nails ( think those nails used to install wall paneling). Problem was that a gap appeared where the posts and the face frame met....

Stay tuned...the cussing is about to start..:mad:

steven c newman
02-22-2019, 9:48 PM
Ok..clamps removed..
Set it aside, for now...hauled the plywood to the shop...at least the one for the back of the case..
Hmmm, ok...IF I cut this just right..I'll have a 1/4" x 26" x 40" panel, and a strip i can cut in half for 2 drawer bottoms...in theory....but, it won't be with this tablesaw...
26" wide panel...need to chalk a second line and cut the 40" length...
Clamped to the saw, so it won't move. Set the case up on the bench...barely
Barely..
Plan is to attach that panel to the back of this case, while pulling the case into square....bead of glue down one rebate, and 1/2 way out on to the webframes, made a mark at the side of the case where each frames center line is. Run a few 1-1/8" screws....spin the case around, pull into square (1/8"out) and glue and screw that edge down, after marking where the frames are..
Then add screws to the frames..
And set this onto the floor..for a bit....sized the top pail rail of the face frame...set the case back onto the bench...
As these two had some work to do.....
Stay tuned. :D

steven c newman
02-22-2019, 9:58 PM
Last I looked, these chips were falling..
Had the top rail ripped for width, and cut for length...along with a couple other cuts....to fit here..
managed to get both ends to fit...bead of glue, and a few clamps...
Actually, a bunch of clamps...
Ok, how about a look at the outside of the case?
And a close-up?
Thought I was done...until the work coat, and the shop apron needed to go in the washer...getting a bit "gamey"....decided to cut and install the 4 corner blocks, to allow me to attach the top..
NOW, I'm done for the day...Stay tuned :D

steven c newman
02-23-2019, 6:29 PM
Corner blocks?
Had a problem today...needed to cut a few more rails for length...
Unable to even get to the miter saws, let alone the tablesaw...dug around in a drawer...
A folding miter box by GEM...couldn't reach the backsaws..but there was a saw on the side of the saw til..
Disston D8 ( no hyphen) 10 ppi panel saw...worked great.
Had one board a bit wide....clamped it in place.
All rails, cut for length. Dovetail "Tails" needed marked out..
Dovetail bit to find the angle, bevel gauge to repeat the angle, bandsaw to split the lines..
The 4 skinny rails were easy enough to do...

steven c newman
02-23-2019, 6:40 PM
Ok..the wider rail at the bottom of the case..took a few more cuts, to do...
needed a better way to set the case on it's back, so I can chop the sockets these tails go into...
Hmmm, finish cleaning this off, open the top all the way, and..
A Work Mate Joinery Bench....Side being chopped is clamped down to the top of the "bench"

Hammer and chisel...worked my way down one side..
Then rotate this mess around, and work back up the other side...
Figured I could glue them in place as I went...one problem..
Ran out of C clamps after the first three rails....have two more to glue up....waiting on the glue to dry, first.

steven c newman
02-23-2019, 11:47 PM
The story on that Work Mate. A neighbor a few years back, decided to clean out his garage.....and WAS going to just throw the Work Mate in the dumpster....wound up in my shop, instead..free.

Final two rails are now clamped up....bottom two are now planed and sanded flush to the sides of the case. A cove detail was run along the bottom edge of the bottom rail. Will try again tomorrow. Maybe I can get those folding feet to actually fold...and lower the work to where I can reach things better?

steven c newman
02-24-2019, 3:28 PM
All dovetail connections are now finished....even the tall one...
Took a while this morning, to get them all smoothed down...
Even that tall one..
Cove details?
and..
Finally removed all the clamps, set the case down on the floor, dumped out all the chips, shavings and sawdust crud out, swept the shop, and put away the Work Mate..
face frame is done....need to work on a top, later...3 board glue-up of a 1 x 10...after I get the 8' long board to the shop, cut it two times, joint the edges....And get it into a few clamps.

Might even get a start on the drawers? Hmmm, which drawer to do first...top one, or work from the bottom up?:confused:

Stay tuned....:D

steven c newman
02-24-2019, 5:57 PM
hauling a 1 x 10 x 8' plank to the shop, wasn't a lot of fun....Kitchen ceilings are 7', the header near the bottom of the stairs is shoulder high on me...Used the case as a place to cut the board down a bit...Saw Table?
needed a couple sections, 28-1/2" long...first part of this plank wasn't too bad..
But, there was this little bit right after...
Cut the knot out, and it split...next section wasn't too hateful...set it over on the bench with the first one..
18-1/4" wide, by 28-1/2" long....will give mea 3/4" overhang along the front of the case...I even had some leftovers...
Will save this, in case a drawer needs better parts..flipped and flopped the two blanks, looking for the best match, and made an X
Fold this up..
run the Cordless Jointer..
And glue them up..
Stay tuned..

steven c newman
02-24-2019, 6:00 PM
Blank for the top, is in the clamps, will let it sit overnight..
Thought about starting in on a drawer...but would involve hauling another plank to the shop...
Instead, I hung up the apron, and called it a day...

steven c newman
02-25-2019, 2:58 PM
Need to get this out of the clamps...but....the "Monday thing";).....might wait til tomorrow....we'll see...depends on how bored I get..:rolleyes:

Greg Parrish
02-25-2019, 4:56 PM
Nice progress Steven. Enjoying all the pictures. Looking good.

Did you find the ring? Didn’t see an update. :)

steven c newman
02-25-2019, 11:01 PM
Ring was indeed found...the next morning.
Well...this will take more than a single post...a lot got done today, more than what I planned to do on a Monday....
Got the top panel out of the clamps...and cleared off the bench..
So I could lay the panel down, scrape off the beads of dried glue, and decide which face looked the best.. I also drilled four slotted holes. Corner blocks needed the slots, to allow the top to move....somehow, the case wound up on the top panel...
Not a whole lot of room...4 screws were installed, then this things was set down onto the floor....one end was squared up...second end was measued to match, and squared up
The back corners were given a dime-sized round over....the front corners were a little bigger..
Then a cove was run all the way around the top. Top was sanded flat, almost smooth, for now. Could have stopped for the day, but..
That 1 x 6 x 8' plank followed me downstairs....and, it was better looking than the other 1 x 6 I have...found two decent looking sections, about 25" or so long..
Pick of the litter? Got out a couple handles, to see how they would look..
Router was still handy..
Best face on each got a cove detail...
stay tuned...going from Powertool Land to the Realm of Handtools...:D

steven c newman
02-25-2019, 11:13 PM
hand tools? Well, I need a groove for the bottom panels to sit in...
Can't get to the router table, at the moment....I guess this will just have to do..
Back then, I didn't have these fancy planes...used a 2 blade dado set up...so, now I have the faces done, and the grooves..
Plan calls for 3/4 Overlay drawers...means I need a rebate on the ends...
Measure in 1/2", square a line across, then a few strokes with a sharp knife. Backsaw to cut down 3/8". Mallet and chisel to remove the waste...repeat for the other ends...
I also needed a rebate along the top edges..
And a plane that can cut through a big, old knot...
Made by Stanley, sold as a Wards master quality No.78...between the planes, the chisel...made a mess on the floor, back was getting sore..
Decided to sweep the mess up, hang the work apron up, and call it a day.....maybe tomorrow I can try to get something done?:confused:

steven c newman
02-26-2019, 10:46 PM
Ran around half a day...Doctor visit, Lunch, shopping....LOT of driving around.
Finally got to the shop...searched for two drawer sides in what was already down there, and avoid these things..
1 x 6 had a pair of these..but there was a 17" long clear section between them. I also found enough good material in the "leftovers" for another 17" board..problem?
Both were a bit too wide...one rip cut, then a test fit
But, there wasn't enough left over, to make the back of the drawer...so, hauled the other 1 x 6 x 8' to the shop.
Goal was to find 2 more sides, and 2 drawer backs...while avoiding stuff like this..junk.
Handsome, ain't it?:mad:
had to rip all 4 pieces for width...
Second pair of sides needed a wavy edge smoothed up..
Smallest "Jointer" I have...also got the ends of all 4 side piece squared up....
Set 2 sides and both backs aside, for now...time to get a bit of practice..
Because I think I need all I can get. maybe by the time I get all five drawers done, I might get the hang of these...
Stay tuned..

steven c newman
02-26-2019, 10:51 PM
Because..I did try again...
Looks a little better? Stashed this aside..goal was to get the dovetails done..
Grabbed the front and two sides for the next drawer..and even got one end done...SUPPERTIME!...back was having issues...decided to call it a day..stashed the second drawer..
Swept the floor, hung up the messy shop apron, and trudged back upstairs...maybe tomorrow, IF the back feels better, I might try to get these two drawers done? Moving at the speed of...smell

steven c newman
02-27-2019, 5:31 PM
Had the sides done dovetail wise....one side decided to do the splits...had to go out and buy a short, clear, straight 1 x 6 x 4' to replace it..grrrrr.

Anyway, the 3 good sides needed a groove milled for a plywood panel to sit in...
It was one of "them days"...as I tried the old Plough plane, first..
This isn't going to work. once the grooves were milled, time ti do a dado or three...
back to mark the lines, tablesaw to make the cuts, trying to leave the lines...test fit?
dados needed pilot holes..
Which I then had to flip the board over..
Counter sink the holes....then cut the back for final length, and cut a plywood panel for the bottom of the drawer..
Spread some glue around the dovetails, and into the dados..
Clamps at the front...pushing against the drawer sides..and
Screws to attach the back, as I do not rely on just glue here...slide the bottom into place, check for square...a little toe-in is ok...as long as both sides are the same..
Stay tuned

steven c newman
02-27-2019, 5:35 PM
Bottom gets a 1-1/8" long screws...
Then this drawer was stashed away, until the glue cures
Handles can wait, until the front has been final sanded...
need to cut the "new" 1 x 6 to size, dovetail it, groove it, dado it..and then..maybe..a second drawer can get done?

steven c newman
02-27-2019, 9:13 PM
Second drawer is completed, and sitting in the case...decided that was enough "fun" for one day...

Maybe tomorrow, I can start up drawer #3? I also picked up a decent 1 x 8 x 6' today, just in case....

Decided to let the back of me settle down for a day, so, I called in. Will need to "gang" the last three drawers up...saves a few set ups. As soon as I can haul 30 feet of 1 x 8 to the shop...

steven c newman
02-28-2019, 10:01 PM
Will try for Saturday....need to haul a few things to the shop....may be a cross cutting ( cussing?) day, tomorrow....

Anyone want to drop by, Saturday, and lend a hand?....

Stew Denton
02-28-2019, 11:02 PM
Steven,

Would love to drop by and lend a hand, because it will be COLD here, but I am sure much much colder up there. Given that, the "Peak of Ohio" is a little out of the way for us here in Texas, so it is kind of unhandy for me to drop by.

I am enjoying the build a great deal, and appreciate it very much.

Stew

steven c newman
03-01-2019, 1:07 PM
later today, the "Plan" is to haul the 1 x 8s SLOWLY to the shop...crosscut them down, to see what all I have....3 fronts, 3 backs, and 6 sides. Fronts can have a smallish knot or two. Sides need to be the best 17" long sections I can find. backs? Whatever is left, as long as it isn't warped too badly...fronts are 25" long. would have to measure the backs, as they depend on how deep the dados are...also, may deepen the grooves for the drawer bottoms to sit in..closer to 3/8", rather than the plough plane's 1/4"...

waiting on the Boss to get back from the store...house sitting right now..

Shop is a "hybrid shop"....I make do with what I have...

Pat Barry
03-01-2019, 1:45 PM
Why do you want the best wood on the sides of the drawers rather than the fronts?

steven c newman
03-01-2019, 2:21 PM
have had a few sides split due to a knot...less chance of problems with "clear" wood for the sides. fronts can have a tight knot, or two...clear wood for a drawer front is a bit bland in Pine..

steven c newman
03-01-2019, 5:54 PM
hauled 3 out of 4 boards to the shop...cross cut to get blanks for 3 fronts, and 6 sides...plus a couple for the backs...had one spot that was tossed..
pretty, ain't it? NOT, cut this away from the rest.
Ends have been squared, all have been ripped to the same width...test fitted the sides, once they were cut to length, and ripped for width
Stashed some leftovers, to use as backs..
And got the cove bit out...
So, in the morning, I can set up the router. need this ran first, before the rest of the cuts are made...
Stay tuned, as I worked on a little jig...:D

steven c newman
03-01-2019, 6:06 PM
two pieces of scrap..
Two screws to keep it square...
Marked a few "centers" center of handle is 5" in from an edge...marked where the mounting bolts need holes drilled, to center that handle
I used a combo square to help center the jig on the drawer front....clamped the jig in place, drilled the holes..
Used an awl to start the drill in the right spots...drilled these here, then used these holes as guides.
Top 2 drawers now have their handles. I also relieved the back corners on the drawer..
Make a full drawer easier to start into the case... plane to clean up a bit..
As the front was a tad lower than the sides...all even, now.
Was a busy afternoon...getting things prepped for in the morning...
Cross cuts were done at the bench, with a 6" SKIL saw...
maybe, in the morning, I can start out, and get something done?

Stay tuned:D

steven c newman
03-02-2019, 9:18 AM
Too bleeding early in the Marnin..:rolleyes:..waiting on the Mountain Dew to work....when the second eyeball wakes up, I might see about 1st Breakfast? Then maybe head for the shop? :confused:

I doubt IF I am the first inventor of that handle Jig..:rolleyes:...Most handles I install are simple, one bolt knobs...two diagonals to find the centers sort of thing. Screws, but no glue in the jig....need the screws back once the drawers are done....can always build the next to match the handle style...:cool:

steven c newman
03-02-2019, 5:18 PM
Quitting time was 4 pm, today...some of the high points...
A little more practice..and these are looking better...
Found a use for the tablesaw...all three fronts have a cove milled..
dado/rebate..needed cleaned up, to remove the saw marks..
Got the backs fitted for all three drawer...did not have quite enough plywood left...only enough for one drawer...
So, drawer # 3 has glued up,,, and stashed. may add the handles after supper. Need to buy a 1/4' x 24" x 48" plywood panel, tomorrow, to complete the other two drawers..
had to borrow the house broom..was getting a bit deep down here..

Stay tuned...:D

steven c newman
03-02-2019, 8:23 PM
Well, drove to the south end of town, Lowes was still open. Picked a plywood panel, a box of screws, and a quart of stain....and almost got a whitetail deer on the way back home...

Things in the shop can wait until tomorrow..too tired and sore right now...

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
03-03-2019, 4:02 PM
Drawer #3 has been fitted to it's opening....back of drawer was a hair too wide...fixed that...plywood has been cut to size...last two backs are also shortened to match #3..
Letting the glue cure...bottom drawer was also glued up..
I even installed a few handles....ran into a problem with the bolts they sent with the handles..
had to scrounge to replace the one that did NOT have any threads....then found another "bolt" without a head,,but, it did have threads...
So, once the glue has had a chance to dry...I can sand things smooth, and see about one lousy bolt...then a coat of "Puritan Pine" stain....

stay tuned...

steven c newman
03-03-2019, 9:02 PM
Finally..clamps came off, found a bolt for the handle....sanded the drawer fronts, installed the handles. Even found a couple brushes for the stain..:D And cleared the top of the Chester Drawers

So...how about a PIP, before the stain goes on ( will post again, when the finish is on...)
front view..
a view at the corner....and..
Details....someday, I might get the hang of doing these dovetails....maybe?

Thanks for following along, even if I was moving at the speed of smell...
Stay tuned...

steven c newman
03-04-2019, 2:49 PM
Have picked a couple better brushes up, this morning....intend to test the stain on the scrap pine first....

Olden Days, this was the stain used...by the gallon....case of "paint" the project in a heavy coat, let it dry overnight, add a coat of poly....

Will see how things go, this time around.

James Pallas
03-04-2019, 3:24 PM
Nice going Steven. Nice looking, good solid construction. Panel sides I really like. They solve a lot of problems that solid panels can creat and a treat for the eyes as well. I hope you can push through the health problems. Your builds are always fun to watch.
Jim

Stew Denton
03-04-2019, 8:52 PM
Steven,

Good job! +1 on what James said.

Stew

steven c newman
03-05-2019, 7:17 PM
having issues with the stain....seems some of the plywood panels are stain sponges...add a coat, come back in 10 minutes,,,stain is gone? in between coats 4 and 5, a wash of poly was added, and a drizzle of Walnut stain was added to the Puritan Pine stain...Seems one sheet of the Luann Plywood was this way...as the back of the case was not taking any stain, either...

Anyhow...may have finally cured the problem...I hope..
And added a coat of clear gloss poly to the entire mess..
Sides? Left side had 3 of those panels..
2nd one down was the worst, then the 4th and 5th...right side..
Top one, and the 3rd one down...
waiting on the varnish to dry...
And see IF and coat will be needed...otherwise, it is heading upstairs to the bedroom, to replace a 30yr old, 4 drawer I made from leftover scraps...has more stuff on top than inside, and the drawers are full...we'll see how it goes...

steven c newman
03-06-2019, 10:46 PM
Posted as a Project. Will take a week or two off...to rest up...maybe? :rolleyes:

Thanks for following along :cool: