PDA

View Full Version : Another what is it question

Michael Weber
02-11-2019, 3:15 PM
This photo showed up today on a Facebook "old house forum" with the poster asking what the item on the right was for. There have been lots of guesses from swing out ashtray to toothbrush holder to storage for used razor blades to a holder for square tissues. Considering its location and construction can anyone tell its original inteded use? Notice that bump on top which appears to be clearance for a finger to pull something down or out.

Yonak Hawkins
02-11-2019, 6:40 PM
"Take a ticket ?"

Michael Weber
02-12-2019, 3:16 AM
Okay I know you all have a burning desire to know what it is and someone finally posted this picture in the old house forum. Itsto hold an ashtray ashtray as shown. What appears to be a vertical bar is actually a partition that makes an area to hold a pack of cigarettes. Slot at the top holds a book of matches and the finger relief at the top is to make it easier to grasp the matches.403322

Matt Day
02-12-2019, 2:55 PM
Back when everyone smoked and didn’t know the consequences. Thanks for posting.

Perry Hilbert Jr
02-12-2019, 4:01 PM
Taking a smoke while on the hopper. There a family in our neighborhood that has a TV in the bathroom. I am surprised the hopper doesn't recline.

Matt Day
02-12-2019, 6:59 PM
I installed a tv in our bathroom at our old house. Was nice to lounge back in the tub and watch the game! At least until the water cooled down.

It was mainly used for watching sports center or the news in the morning while getting ready - mainly for my wife.