PDA

View Full Version : Scroll Saw PrePurchase (dumb) Question

Tom Overthere
12-05-2005, 4:04 PM
I'm seriously considering purchase of the DeWalt 20" scroll saw. I've never owned a "real" scroll saw, and as such I have a very basic question:

Can I turn the blade 90 degrees, installing it so the teeth do not face the operator - but instead face left of right?

Why this question? If the operator can push the workpiece ONLY from front-to-back of the saw, the 20" throat imposes a serious restriction on the size of the workpiece. Turning the blade 90 degrees would enable me to push the work piece perpendicular to the saw frame, allowing much longer work pieces.

Thanks, Tom

Rob Bourgeois
12-05-2005, 4:14 PM
You can use spiral blades to overcome this problem. I dont think you can turn it 90 degrees unless the blade clamp is different from the others on the market.( Delta and Dremel are the only ones I have actually touched)

Spirals allow you to cut in ANY direction but it takes a while to get used to...I still havent perfected it yet and usally give up after trying for a while. In fact that reminds me..its time for my yearly why did I buy this 24 spiral blade refresher.

Jim DeLaney
12-05-2005, 6:12 PM
...Why this question? If the operator can push the workpiece ONLY from front-to-back of the saw, the 20" throat imposes a serious restriction on the size of the workpiece. Turning the blade 90 degrees would enable me to push the work piece perpendicular to the saw frame, allowing much longer work pieces.

Thanks, Tom

I'm not sure just what you mean, but the 20" throat allows you to cut to the center of a 40 inch circle. What are you making that requires a bigger capacity than that?

Dave Wimmer
12-05-2005, 7:43 PM
I have the DeWalt and the awnser is no!

Dale Thompson
12-05-2005, 11:16 PM
Tom,
Dave gave you the answer and Rob gave you the solution!.

My addition is that the spiral blades are easy to control in plywood but require practice when used in solid wood with a "defined" grain - like Oak.

I've got the 20" DeWalt. WOW!!

Dale T.

Michael Ballent
12-06-2005, 3:49 AM
I have the DeWalt 20" and it does not allow for the blade to be installed as you described... If you need a deeper throat you will need to start to really dig deeper into your pocket, because you will be begin to kiss the 4 figure mark really quick :) Also you have to take into account that there is a natural drift with scroll saw blades just like bandsaw blades, so you will not be cutting straight into the back of the saw... but as others have pointed out you can cut into the center of a 40" circle so you must have a REALLY large project to work on. :D