PDA

View Full Version : A trim router....

Ken Fitzgerald
02-10-2019, 3:06 PM
I have had 3 or 4 full sized routers since I began woodworking but I had never had a compact trim router. I am working on a project that has to be done by Wednesday night and it has a small narrow piece that needed routing. I was uncomfortable doing it freehand with my 2 1/2 HP P/C 8529 or doing it freehand on my router table. So I went to the local HD about 7:00 p.m. last night, looked at the two compacts they had and chose the Makita RT0701C. I also bought a cheap set of 1/4" shank round over bits as all the ones I own are 1/2" shank.

Using some turners tape, I taped the piece to the top of my t/s outfeed table, routed it, flipped it over, retaped it and routed the other side. What a pleasure it was to be able to use 1 hand to hold and guide the router while using the other hand to manage the power cable. I should have bought one a long time ago!

Bill Orbine
02-10-2019, 3:51 PM
About time! You'll find a variety of uses for the small router now that you have one. Now..... Time to buy a wide belt sander....

Brian W Evans
02-10-2019, 4:45 PM
For roundovers, trim routers are hard to beat. I'm not there yet, but I've seen guys on YouTube just zip around all of their parts with trim routers - faster than any other method I can think of.

Ken Kortge
02-10-2019, 5:09 PM
Make sure you don't position a hand as shown in the photo below. Note how close the fingers of the left hand are to the opening of the trim router. For this reason some people suggest either using the trim router one-handed, or if two-handed use is desired, find a base with two knobs - Rockler sells such a base.
http://www.coptool.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/GKF125CEa.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
02-10-2019, 5:31 PM
Ken thanks for the warning! On my right wrist I have an area that received 14 stitches. I was routing some 1/2 lap joints in some 2x4s for my wood storage rack. I received a call telling me one of our DIL had come out of a surgery okay. I went back to routing. I was plunge routing 1/4" at a time using a jig to guide the router. I shut the router off to adjust the bit 1/4" deeper, flipped the router off, unlocked it and as I glanced at the telephone across the shop thinking about the call, I pushed down on the router base. The bit hadn't stopped turning yet. My wife was having lunch with some former coworkers at an elementary school where she had retired after 25 years of service. Luckily, my neighbors were home. The drove me to the ER while calling my wife on her cell phone. I take routers really serious...always have but a moments distraction cost me a trip to the ER.

Osvaldo Cristo
02-10-2019, 5:59 PM
I have had 3 or 4 full sized routers since I began woodworking but I had never had a compact trim router. I am working on a project that has to be done by Wednesday night and it has a small narrow piece that needed routing. I was uncomfortable doing it freehand with my 2 1/2 HP P/C 8529 or doing it freehand on my router table. So I went to the local HD about 7:00 p.m. last night, looked at the two compacts they had and chose the Makita RT0701C. I also bought a cheap set of 1/4" shank round over bits as all the ones I own are 1/2" shank.

Using some turners tape, I taped the piece to the top of my t/s outfeed table, routed it, flipped it over, retaped it and routed the other side. What a pleasure it was to be able to use 1 hand to hold and guide the router while using the other hand to manage the power cable. I should have bought one a long time ago!

I also purchased a such trim router but in a kit with four different bases. Locally they are sold with 6mm, 1/4 inch and 8 mm collets - it is great as most of my router bits are 8 mm shank and a number at 1/4 inch. I also have a few bits with 6 mm shank, so it is perfect for my use. I did not miss for this particular (trim) router the fact it doesn't accept my 12 mm and 1/2 inch shank bits as most of them are too heavy for a such small router.

This thing is powerful (for the size), light weighted and handy. I think you will be surprised by joy to use it more and more... I know this is my own case!

My best wishes to you and your new tool... and please let us know the projects and uses you will be actually employing it.

Carl Beckett
02-10-2019, 6:05 PM
I bet this router becomes your #2 user. Maybe #1 even

I recently purchased the LXT cordless version and should have done it long ago.

Nick Decker
02-10-2019, 6:28 PM
Sounds familiar to me, Ken. The first trim router I bought was a little Ridgid that was on sale at HD at the time. I like it fine, but the whole trim router experience has me eyeing the Festool 1010. Yes, it's larger, but the dust collection would sure be nice...

Mike Henderson
02-10-2019, 6:32 PM
I've gone to trim routers for just about all my non-router table work. My first "big" router was a Craftsman that only took 1/4" shaft bits and probably didn't have more power than my modern trim routers. I think I have five trim routers - four DeWalt 611's and an old Ryobi that I bought in the 70's. I keep a particular router bit in all but one so that I can immediately pick one up and use it.

Trim routers seem to multiply.

Mike

Dave Cav
02-10-2019, 8:54 PM
I have about a dozen full size routers and one DeWalt 611. The little trim router seems to get used about half the time if not more.

Aaron Rosenthal
02-10-2019, 9:32 PM
I don't use mine as often as other responders, but one thing I found with my Bosch kit, was that the collett would let the bit slip on almost every project. Dangerous.
Probably the reason I don't use it as much as the other posters.
Never been able to get satisfaction.

Zac wingert
02-11-2019, 1:28 AM
I have the same makita router, it’s a great tool. When you first start using it you do have to be careful about not letting a finger in the opening. Plenty of power for what it is. No problems.

Rich Engelhardt
02-11-2019, 6:29 AM
Ok - one clarification - I believe the "trim routers" of yesteryear have been supplanted by the "compact routers" of today.
The compacts have more power and have the ability to accept both fixed and plunge bases.

I picked up a DeWalt 611 PK a few years back when they first came out & got a real deal on a fixed/plunge base set - something like $120 or less - I forget.
Love the plunge base - seldom if ever use the fixed base.

For fixed base compact router use, I just recently picked up a Makita cordless version of the RT0701C.
Way more power than the DeWalt 611 PK. My guess would be that it's putting out nearly as much power as my PC 690, when I stick a 5.0 amp battery in it.

My only complaint about the cordless Mkita is that they went way too conservative on the design & limit the ability to use larger bits - such as 3/8" or 1/2" roundover bits & larger - like 3/4" Ogee- by having too small an opening in the base.
I'm probably going to pick p a plunge base and just enlarge the opening of the fixed base. I don't really care if the eliminates using PC inserts since i can do that with the plunge base.

Alright - I droned on long enough :D ...

I do highly recommend picking up a plunge base, some Porter Cable inserts (if you don't already have them) and one of those rubber router mats - they work great!

Oh yeah - does the corded Makita come with the dust collector thing?

andy bessette
02-11-2019, 6:52 AM
Make sure you don't position a hand as shown in the photo below. Note how close the fingers of the left hand are to the opening of the trim router...
http://www.coptool.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/GKF125CEa.jpg

No.
That is the correct way for the left hand to hold the trim router so as to insure the base remains in full contact with the narrow workpiece. Though I prefer a lower grip with the right hand.

Though I have several trim routers, the Rockwell is my very favorite.

Larry Frank
02-11-2019, 7:19 AM
I do not know about correct. BUT...I am not putting my fingers that close as a slip will get your nails trimmed.

James Biddle
02-11-2019, 8:36 AM
I've had this add-on base from Pat Warner forever. Allows you to work one or two-handed and really stabilizes the router. I don't know if anyone took over his website or business since he passed, or if anyone else makes them, but they really do add safety and functionality to hand routing. If I needed one today, I'd probably make it on the CNC.

I also have a Festool trim router, but leave that set up for flat trimming. It would not be my go-to router for edge routing. The small trim routers like the Bosch, Makita or Dewalt are really handy. If I were buying new today, I'd look for a cordless trim router...I don't need dust collection for it and not having to work the cord would be a big benefit.

Martin Wasner
02-11-2019, 8:47 AM
Look on eBay for a Porter Cable 310. Those were the best of the best in trim routers. They've been out of production since DeFalt/Black & Decker gobbled them up and ruined the brand

Nick Decker
02-11-2019, 9:02 AM
I have a couple of the Pat Warner offset bases. Wish they were still available. The ones I see for sale now are usually not as thick, so they tend to flex. Either that or they're not clear Plexi, so you can't see through them to see what you're doing.

Peter Kuhlman
02-11-2019, 9:15 AM
Pat Warner’s bases were really nice and I have a couple of them. I purchased thicker acrylic I believe sheets from either Grainger or McMaster Carr to make any bases I need now. Sure won’t have as nice of a finish as Pat’s but will be functional.

I also picked up the battery powered Makita and it sure is nice. While I love the dust collection on my Festool routers I just find it so much more enjoyable not struggling with power cords and dust hoses as I work.

Edwin Santos
02-11-2019, 9:18 AM
I have a couple of the Pat Warner offset bases. Wish they were still available. The ones I see for sale now are usually not as thick, so they tend to flex. Either that or they're not clear Plexi, so you can't see through them to see what you're doing.

Pick up a book called Router Magic by Bill Hylton. He shows you how to make these bases for yourself including many clever ones for different purposes. It's surprisingly easy. Plexi, Polycarbonate, and Phenolic are all available online in various sizes and thicknesses.

Dan Baginski
02-11-2019, 10:10 AM
I have a big Bosch but I bought a smaller dewalt to use on my last project. It sure is nice for smaller stuff. I’ve decided to leave the Bosch in my router table and use the dewalt ‘out in the open’ unless I need the bigger one for a larger cut.

Martin Wasner
02-11-2019, 7:30 PM
I also picked up the battery powered Makita and it sure is nice. While I love the dust collection on my Festool routers I just find it so much more enjoyable not struggling with power cords and dust hoses as I work.

We do an 1/8" roundover on the top edges of our drawers, I've been kicking around buying one of those. Sure would be nice to be free of the cord.

peter gagliardi
02-11-2019, 8:10 PM
Look on eBay for a Porter Cable 310. Those were the best of the best in trim routers. They've been out of production since DeFalt/Black & Decker gobbled them up and ruined the brand
I have one, and have used it for 25 years after buying it new. It is a great machine BUT..... The bit collet assembly is a pain in the neck. No self release on those.
Still after 25 years, loosen the nut, then use the wrench to whack the side of the nut/spindle housing to vibrate the collet loose.
Wish there was another way, but there isn’t.
All of the new machines I have tried have either the power switch, or the spindle lock, or both right where you want to grab them, another pain.

Derek Cohen
02-12-2019, 5:30 AM

Ken, I came to the party late with trim routers, about 18 months ago. I had purchased an older Makita at a swap meet with an eye to using it to remove the waste of hand sawn half-blind dovetail sockets. It did this job superbly. Previously I had used a mid-sized Elu router, which felt cumbersome. This little Makita works with one hand (two are better) and is jus so nimble and controllable. I then purchased another trim router, like yours, and added a sub-base ...

https://i.postimg.cc/fRYdN12z/Ia.jpg

This is the fence/depth stop I made for this purpose ...

https://i.postimg.cc/HL4bQFXZ/La.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/d08Bt46F/1a.jpg

I have since made a bunch of sub-bases. The current one for dovetails does not have knobs. They are unnecessary as the router is easy to hold on the body. The base is simply to create a wider registration ...

https://i.postimg.cc/NGH3mQxM/Trim3.jpg

The bases are easy to make. The off-set one can fit large and mid-size Elus ...

https://i.postimg.cc/9FHvBsxB/Trim2.jpg

This one now has a permanent 1/8" round over bit ....

https://i.postimg.cc/qqyWTG7n/Trim1.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tom M King
02-12-2019, 8:26 AM
I have two toolboxes full of trim routers from various manufacturers. One just holds those dedicated to roundover bits, from 1/16 through 3/8's, a champhering one, and a couple for Formica edges. Most require an arrow that indicates the point that needs to be held to the workpiece, because the depth of cut is different all around the base, which might leave a shoulder, or require extra sanding. I think the Bosch's are worst for that. It's nice to be able to just grab one, and run the edge like I want to.

For a while, Porter Cable gave away a trim router when you bought a 690. The numbers grew fairly fast then. Don't ask how many trim routers I have, because I have no idea.

Bill Space
02-12-2019, 9:01 AM
Tom says: “Don't ask how many trim routers I have, because I have no idea.”

Bill answers: “I know how many I will soon have: One!”

This is happenening too frequently after reading threads like this one. Ordered a trim router off Amazon yesterday. :D

Martin Wasner
02-12-2019, 9:02 AM
I have one, and have used it for 25 years after buying it new. It is a great machine BUT..... The bit collet assembly is a pain in the neck. No self release on those.
Still after 25 years, loosen the nut, then use the wrench to whack the side of the nut/spindle housing to vibrate the collet loose.
Wish there was another way, but there isn’t.
All of the new machines I have tried have either the power switch, or the spindle lock, or both right where you want to grab them, another pain.

I like the profile of them, and I like the longevity of them. The base is pretty solid and holds adjustment well also. All of the others aren't worth repairing, the 310 is.

I don't think I own a router where you don't have to whack the collet with the wrench to get the bit loose, but we've got mostly older Porter Cable routers. I do wish it had a spindle lock, but you're right, theres no ideal spot, they're always in the way.

Julie Moriarty
02-12-2019, 9:10 AM

No doubt, Ken, trim routers are so easy to work with you wonder how you got along without them. Maybe some day you will find yourself with a Dremel in hand that has a plunge base and wonder the same. I consider mine just another addition to my routers.

Tom M King
02-12-2019, 9:14 AM
I like the profile of them, and I like the longevity of them. The base is pretty solid and holds adjustment well also. All of the others aren't worth repairing, the 310 is.

I don't think I own a router where you don't have to whack the collet with the wrench to get the bit loose, but we've got mostly older Porter Cable routers. I do wish it had a spindle lock, but you're right, theres no ideal spot, they're always in the way.

The "new" self-releasing collets fit on the older PC routers. I replaced the ones on my old PC, and Rockwell routers. When they came out with the self-releasing collets, I thought it was one of the best inventions ever in woodworking.

Adam Herman
02-12-2019, 11:12 AM
the ridged has a clear plastic guard on the bottom so that you can safely put direct down-force on the bottom plate. My ridged has done far more than it has any business doing and never missed a beat.

Frank McGuire
05-09-2021, 6:03 AM
I have the same makita (https://www.craftyhangouts.com/best-trim-routers/#product2) router, it’s a great tool. When you first start using it you do have to be careful about not letting a finger in the opening. Plenty of power for what it is. No problems.
I got XTR01Z, probably the best one I've ever used. Very powerful and 30000 RPM matters

roger wiegand
05-09-2021, 6:35 AM
I recently bought a Milwaukee 18V battery operated trim router (my first); boy, talk about handy! Plenty of power. I just wish they came with a 1/2" collet so I didn't need to buy new bits to use in it.

Curt Harms
05-09-2021, 9:03 AM
I think my trim router is most used now. I needed some 1/4" X 3/4" dados in plywood. Loaded up a 1/2" straight bit with 1/4" shank, set the depth and went to town. Plenty of power and light enough to be nimble. I bought an aftermarket extended sub-base with 2 handles which is handy.

Prashun Patel
05-09-2021, 10:32 AM
And soon you may add a Bosch cordless trim router to your Arsenal. On delicate things that don’t require the power, not having to worry about the cord is great.

Ron Citerone
05-09-2021, 11:22 AM
I love my Porter Cable trim router for gaining hinges for flush cabinet doors.

Julie Moriarty
05-09-2021, 12:00 PM
I recently bought a Milwaukee 18V battery operated trim router (my first); boy, talk about handy! Plenty of power. I just wish they came with a 1/2" collet so I didn't need to buy new bits to use in it.

I recently bought the Dewalt 20V trim router. You are so right about these tools being handy! Just pick it up and go. And it's the only one of my routers that has a light. We age impaired woodworkers need a little love too. ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
05-09-2021, 2:13 PM
For the record, I loved using my Makita trim router. My very talented carpenter SIL had noticed I didn't have a trim router so he gave me the battery version of the Makita so now I have a corded and cordless version of the same router. The cordless version has an LED lighting the area.

My biggest beef against cordless tools in general is that batteries are so expensive and fail most often when the need to use them is the greatest.

Warren Lake
05-09-2021, 2:42 PM
had a whole heard for a while. Tons of Makita. Have the porter cable ones and think they are Rockwell quality from before bought out. I burned out Makitas but never the Porter cable ones. dont remember the model but likely the 130 mentioned, heavy and strong enough well made stuff from the past.

Ray Newman
05-09-2021, 3:57 PM
“My biggest beef against cordless tools in general is that batteries are so expensive and fail most often when the need to use them is the greatest.”
--Ken Fitzgerald

Agreed! Back in 2019, I needed a replacement battery for an old DeWalt flashlight. Light still worked, but battery was not to be found as DeWalt discontinued the light and the battery. On a whim, I stopped at a Batteries & Bulbs store. None in stock, but catalogue listed a Rayovac clone with a one-year warranty. About five days after order, I had the battery.

Speaking ‘bout trim routers, I have an older Porter-Cable laminate router with an aftermarket Woodhaven 2 handed base that accepts the Porter-Cable guide bushings. Woodhaven has bases for other brands.

https://www.woodhaven.com/products/woodhaven-8310-porter-cable-310-bushing-plate

Curt Harms
05-10-2021, 8:25 AM

Makita must be pretty good, that's the one China picked to knock off ;). Grizzly and MLCS among others sell the knockoffs.

Rich Engelhardt
05-10-2021, 9:12 AM
Makita must be pretty good, that's the one China picked to knock off ;)I love my Makitas - but - the fixed base micro adjust is crude at best. There are far better ones they could knock off (IMHO).

Warren Lake
05-10-2021, 9:47 AM
I dont too many burned out might be better now but the taste remains. Not close the the porter cables.

Roger Feeley
05-10-2021, 7:35 PM
The tool that scares me the most is my power plane. The reason is that when I use a hand plane, the fingers on my left hand tend to go under the plane and ride along the wood. It doesn’t hurt with a hand plane but I would be asking for trouble with an upside down jointer. I try to be very careful. I’m also trying to break myself of the hand plane habit.

Von Bickley
05-10-2021, 8:21 PM
I have that Makita trim router and really like it. I have used it to cut shallow dados with a dado jig and a pattern bit. Works great.