PDA

View Full Version : Man MP3 Players are Great

Scott Coffelt
12-05-2005, 2:02 PM
Several months ago I bought a Dell DJ30 (30MB) audio jukebox player. It took many nights converting CDs to MP3's. We've used it off and on when travelling, so this weekend I finally got the cable hooked up to the main stereo. Man this thing is nice. I set it to play holiday genre and the wife got a nice random play of xmas music. She was tickled pink, no chaning cd's, just hours upon hours of music.

John Hart
12-05-2005, 2:06 PM
I agree Scott....Technological advances can be good and they can be bad. MP3 is one of the good ones. Life got a little better.:)

Tyler Howell
12-05-2005, 2:25 PM
Not sure what I'm going to do with all these real to reals and 8 tracks.:o
The Itrip/ RF modulator really works great.
Not just a gimick.

Dave Carey
12-05-2005, 2:45 PM
Tyler - Same issue with the stack of vinyl I've been hoarding all these years. I bought a gizmo from Griffin called the iMic (about $40) that I tried out last night. You plug it into your turntable (or a tuner), play your LP (or reel or 8 track) and it converts it into a WAVE file (there's another format as well.) Load it into iTunes and you're ready to go. Only did one LP thus far but it worked well though it also records all the surface noise and scratches. Will take a while to process those boxes of LPs but some are not availble on CDs so.... Cheers

Tyler Howell
12-05-2005, 3:01 PM
Hey Dave,
Thanks I've been rippin vinyl for a year or so. Can't remember the Gizmo or software off the point of my head but the new stuff even cleans up the "pops and hisssss". Love it;)

Bruce Page
12-05-2005, 3:56 PM
I love my iPod. I have docking stations in the shop, living room, pool room & bedroom. Just pop it in and I have my music library at my fingertips. Awesome technology!

I can't remember the last time I even turned on one of my cd players.

Scott Coffelt
12-05-2005, 4:38 PM
Some day when I have nothing but time I hope to convert some of my albums to MP3's. I know the sound will suffer some, but they just don't make some of these in CD's these days. I have a little converter box but it requires me manually setting up the tracks I believe, must have time to sit down.

Tyler Howell
12-05-2005, 5:23 PM
Boy are we spoiled. Remember the good old days of mixing your own tapes for dance to easy listening?? Balancing the tone arm for optimum tracking force and anti skate!!!!
How about stacking pennies on the tone arm to stop the pops and skips.
Now everything is done with the click of a mouse:eek: .
I guess these are the good old days.:rolleyes:

Andy Hoyt
12-05-2005, 5:44 PM
Boy are we spoiled. Remember the good old days of mixing your own tapes for dance to easy listening?? Balancing the tone arm for optimum tracking force and anti skate!!!!
How about stacking pennies on the tone arm to stop the pops and skips.
Now everything is done with the click of a mouse:eek: .
I guess these are the good old days.:rolleyes:

Hey Ty. Those good ole days are still here. I use my turntable (with stacked pennies) all the time. How else would I be able to listen to The Flock, John Mayall, Blind Faith, or InAGaddaDaVida?

Dan Mages
12-05-2005, 6:39 PM
Ditto here. I have around 650 records at in my collection, both new and used. Yes, they still make them. Some CD burning software programs, like Roxio have a program to convert the audio in on our computer to MP3s. I have used it in the past to convert some of my records.

Dan

Jason Roehl
12-05-2005, 7:03 PM
Sometime soon, I should also be joining the ranks of the high-tech. The cellphone I purchased in August has FM radio and MP3 playing capabilities. I finally got around to ordering some headphones for it, and I just received a 512MB MMC to put in the phone, so I should be able to hold several hundred MP3s for my listening enjoyment while I work. In my near 10 years as a contractor, I have decided I don't care for jobsite radios for a number of reasons, and this overcomes a few of them. For one, I don't like carrying a radio to and from the truck each day (it's just one more thing to carry...). Two, someone always turns it up too much so you have to yell over it when you need to talk with your co-workers. Three, I can't stand the heavy metal and country that 99% of other contractors play. So it will be my own radio, which I already carry on me (since it's also a cellphone), and the headphones shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience to carry also, I hope.

Here's the phone:

http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6230

Yeah, I splurged a little, but the phone works great (best reception I've ever had), and I love all the "techie" features.

P.S. Record?? Vinyl?? What are those? :D

Ian Barley
12-05-2005, 7:14 PM
As a solo woeker who spends most of the day wearing ear defenders MP3 is magic. I have a Creative Zen 60gb and use it mainly for audiobooks. In the last year I have "read" many of the classics that I have been meaning to get around to for years.

Loy Hawes
12-06-2005, 1:47 AM
Some day when I have nothing but time I hope to convert some of my albums to MP3's. I know the sound will suffer some, but they just don't make some of these in CD's these days. I have a little converter box but it requires me manually setting up the tracks I believe, must have time to sit down.

Check out Flac (http://flac.sourceforge.net/) or Monkey's Audio (http://www.monkeysaudio.com/). They are both lossless compression.

Chuck Wintle
12-06-2005, 7:57 AM
I bought a Sandisk 1gig flash MP3 player and it works well for me. Although small in capacity when compared to IPOD's the drag and drop interface is good. I use Audiograbber to rip my cd's using the "Lame" encoder provided on their website.

craig caldwell
12-07-2005, 11:01 AM
If you want to listen to music all day with out all the noise from your work getting in the way pick up a pair of shure e3 headphone to go with your mp3 player. They have foam earpieces that block out noise and allow you to listen to your music or podcasts at a very low level and not miss a thing when the tools are running. I have them in and on for eight hours a day and those long sanding sessions with the orbital just fly by. Thats a Sioux 690vv sander by the way and it puts any of the new dynabrades to shame.

Christopher Pine
12-07-2005, 4:26 PM
Funny this post came up at this time... I discovered one of my other interests on the internet.. It is the Radio Mystery Theater from the 1970's and early 80"s. The one with E.G. Marshall. Anyway there are folks out there that trade these programs in mp3 formatt.... wonderful! I love those programs! Anyway A very kind person emailed me the entire 1399 shows which is like 14+ gig of files. So now I need to get them burned to discs and kept away.. each one was run in an hour timeslot..so programs are about 45 minutes without commercials. Would be nice to have a mp3 player for this .. :)

Chris