PDA

View Full Version : Red Oak

John Isgren
02-09-2019, 1:13 PM
Pulled a little red oak out of the barn that has been air drying for a couple of years in order to make a shooting board and bench hook. Had to Plane a sample and throw some Linseed oil on it.

Andrew Seemann
02-09-2019, 2:35 PM
I have a complicated relationship with Red Oak. I say don't particularly like it, but I use it all the time because it is cheap, stable, and readily available here in good quality and quantity, and it works well for many things. And I frequently recommend it for those reasons.

And yet I keep saying I don't particularly like it. It is my go to wood when I don't have a reason to use something better. Even though I just made a keyboard frame out of it this morning for the reasons listed before. Maybe because it has a certain high-school shop connotation when finished with clear polyurethane. I say I like White Oak better, but I actually prefer using Red Oak given the choice. Like I said, it's complicated:)

John Isgren
02-09-2019, 6:32 PM
This is a little special since this is the first batch from trees on my property that I milled myself.

Mike Manning
02-09-2019, 8:07 PM
This is a little special since this is the first batch from trees on my property that I milled myself.

Congrats John! That has to be especially satisfying using lumber you milled from you own property!!