PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear an apron while working?

Steven Mikes
02-09-2019, 12:06 AM
Wondering if its worth getting one. Seems like it could keep some dust off the clothes, but that usually brushes off quite readily. The pockets might be helpful just for holding small things like marking knife, pencil, small ruler, square, etc.

There must be a reason why traditional woodworkers wore them in the shop.. what are your thoughts?

Jim Koepke
02-09-2019, 12:57 AM
Sometimes when looking at pictures of woodworkers from half a century ago they are wearing buttoned shirts and ties. The apron was likely a way to keep the good cloths clean.

My experience with an apron ended quickly because it wasn't comfortable. Of course others may find them comfortable.

Reaching into pockets to find a square or ruler can be a little dicey if there is also a marking knife in there.

jtk

Ray Newman
02-09-2019, 1:50 AM
Yes, probably 90% of the time. the Squeezed sewn one for me out a denim material.

Matt Evans
02-09-2019, 1:53 AM
I always got fed up with aprons pretty quickly. I started using shop coats. Fantastic, keeps the clothes in better shape and cleaner, you can get them in more sizes, you can get them in different weights and colors for different seasons. . .

Simon MacGowen
02-09-2019, 2:48 AM
Aprons are for cooking as far as I am concerned. When I see images of some woodworkers wearing thick leather aprons, I think of butchers. And the white linen aprons look the worst.

Simon

David Dalzell
02-09-2019, 5:21 AM
I have an apron. I used it for awhile; I guess I needed to justify the $10 (or thereabouts) price. Never liked it and haven't used it for many years.

Steve Eure
02-09-2019, 7:26 AM
I wear one about 75% of the time. Mine is a cross back type so the weight of the apron and tools doesn't pull on my neck. I really do like wearing it, not necessarily for keeping my clothes clean, but for having all my measuring tools and pencils handy. One problem that does bother me is the pockets do fill with shavings while using some of my power tools. My wife has had to patch a few tears a couple of times. I think I will see if she can sew some flaps over the pockets to eliminate that.
It's also good for keeping glue off your clothes.

Geoff Emms
02-09-2019, 7:58 AM
As I've aged my belly has got more and more bulbous and causes the front of my shirt to get a bit grubby. I always wear a leather apron when welding and doing metalwork and now have taken to wearing it all the time in the shed. Shirt fronts have benefited immensely.

Dave Anderson NH
02-09-2019, 8:20 AM
I wear a shop apron only when staining, painting, or finishing wood. Otherwise for me it is more of an aggravation than a help. I have shop clothes which are less than respectable and then I have the other clothes.

William Fretwell
02-09-2019, 8:23 AM
I have heavy duty shop clothes I wear. I have a thick leather apron I always wear for the table saw, it has saved me some grief with kick backs, not to mention my clothes.

Thomas L Carpenter
02-09-2019, 8:51 AM
I have one from a local grocery store that closed. Wear it whenever I remember. Nice for pencils and 6 inch rulers etc which of course fall out whenever I take it off.

Charlie Hinton
02-09-2019, 8:53 AM
I am a power tool woodworker, I wear a cross strap denim apron.
It keeps the square, tape measure, pencil, and dust collector remote in the same place all the time.

Robert Engel
02-09-2019, 8:55 AM
I have one, rarely wear it. Couple reasons: 1. Too hot in summer. 2. Its supposed to keep tools handy, but I end up setting them down all over anyway. I supposed if I wore it religiously, I'd train myself to put rulers and pencils back in pocket, but its hard to teach old dogs new tricks.

I have a tool pouch type apron, too that works better for me, but again, I rarely wear it.

Michael Fross
02-09-2019, 9:09 AM
I wear the veritas apron almost 100% of the time. Mostly to hold all the stuff I want on me. Light measuring tape in right pocket. Aluminum try square in left pocket. Pencil, 6in rule in breast slots. But the apron does have to cross back and not around your neck.

Keeping my shirt clean is just a bonus :)

Michael

Pat Barry
02-09-2019, 9:25 AM
I don't/won't/wouldn't, but I can definitely see a benefit for making bread. That flour is nasty stuff.

Richard Jones
02-09-2019, 9:46 AM
Yes, most of the time. Cheapo BucketBoss cross strap apron. Glued a small magnet between the bucketboss tag and outside of right side chest pocket so 6" rule doesn't fall out when I bend over. Various squares go into apron pockets, pencil in the pencil pocket up top. Sharpies of various tip widths in the right side hip pocket, nail set/punch in the left one. I can't keep up with anything if I set it down, so am in the habit of putting everything away in the apron every time I use it. Sounds like time wasted pulling out, putting back, etc., but actually less time than searching for stuff. I wear this when woodworking or metalworking, but not at the wood lathe. If all I did was work at the bench, I wouldn't wear it, but I do too many different things in my shop.

ETA No marking knife in the apron.

James Pallas
02-09-2019, 9:51 AM
When I need tools and such handy, like working on a ladder, I like an apron. When I was doing this full time I wore carpenters overalls. If working at the bench I could just unzip the apron part. When I needed portability I could zip it on.
the overalls provided a way to protect your clothes from things like glue, pitch, splinters, and wear.
Jim

ken hatch
02-09-2019, 10:01 AM
No one has mentioned using a leather apron when sharpening. I will usually clean the iron on my belly. My leather apron saves my shirt and acts as a strop. What’s not to like?

ken

JimA Thornton
02-09-2019, 10:10 AM
I wore one most of the time...........for all of the reasons already mentioned. However, now that I've gotten interested in doing more hand tool woodworking these last couple of months I find myself wearing it less.

Charles Guest
02-09-2019, 10:12 AM
Yep, got tired of wearing a hole in the right hip of my trousers.

Tom Stenzel
02-09-2019, 10:44 AM
Working in a wheelchair means everything ends up falling in my lap. I wear a denim apron in the shop and a Mickey Mouse chef apron in the kitchen. Of the two places the kitchen poses the greater hazard, not too many burning hot things in the shop.

-Tom

michael langman
02-09-2019, 11:20 AM
I always wore an apron in the tool room. They were supplied by the company, and kept your clothes cleaner from the oils and machines you had to lean into when working.
I have a few in the basement for wood working and like them for the bigger pockets to hold small tools, but the saw dust does make a mess in the pockets.
The trick to not having things falling out of the chest pocket while bending over, is to pack the pocket full so everything in it is tight to the pocket.

steven c newman
02-09-2019, 11:20 AM
Have one of those cotton-duck ( think Carhart style) with the cross straps, with padded shoulders....like wearing it while sitting down at the bench....sawdust stays off of me, chips from hand cutting dovetails bounce off....quick strop where the aprons sits on a leg....glue sticks to the apron, and not my jeans. Sawdust from the power tools collect on the apron, not on my clothes.

Nothing says closing time in the shop like the act of hanging up the apron....nothing says shop is open, like the act of donning the apron...shows you are ready for work. Rarely place any tools in the pockets...they tend to get in the way....of sawdust and chips collecting there. If I fumble a chisel ( who? ME?) and it lands in my lap...no harm done to chisel..or me.

Need a better hook to hang the apron on....bandsaw isn't quite the ideal place to hang things.
Yep, mine gets used.

Somedays, I just hang it wherever I stopped working, for the day..wonder which is the "after" picture...

michael langman
02-09-2019, 11:33 AM
It does help to put you in the right frame of mind, donning the apron Steven.
I hang mine on the pencil sharpener.

mike holden
02-09-2019, 11:35 AM
Back in the 70's when I started in pattern shops, everyone wore an apron so I did too. Still do. One thing though - NO pockets! A journeyman who saw pockets on your apron would likely tear them off. NOTHING that might scratch the models was allowed.

Curt Harms
02-10-2019, 9:27 AM
I wear one if I think I'll be getting stuff kicked back at me. When I was messing with Corian scraps I'd wear one. Those shavings stick to EVERYTHING.

Al Launier
02-10-2019, 9:50 AM
I wear a lab coat in my basement shop just to keep my clothes clean and the sawdust away/off from the house furniture, to hold small tools if needed, and more importantly to keep my wife happy. ;) However, even though this is a "full length" lab coat I wish I could find one that was almost floor length to keep the sawdust off the lower part of my pant legs.

Can anyone recommend a source for a coat of this length?

If it wasn't such a nuisance to get into/out of coveralls I'd get the coveralls, but I'm hoping to find an extra long shop/lab coat.

Matt Evans
02-10-2019, 10:07 AM
I wear a lab coat in my basement shop just to keep my clothes clean and the sawdust away/off from the house furniture, to hold small tools if needed, and more importantly to keep my wife happy. ;) However, even though this is a "full length" lab coat I wish I could find one that was almost floor length to keep the sawdust off the lower part of my pant legs.

Can anyone recommend a source for a coat of this length?

I've also been looking for longer ones, but haven't had much luck.

Jack Frederick
02-10-2019, 11:32 AM
with the apron in the shop. I have the Duluth Trading Post canvas cross strap. It is comfortable to wear. I have no complaints there. I only use the chest pockets for a 6" metal rule and a pencil. Most times when I reach for the pencil in the apron, I find it above my ear inside the rim of my hat. My wife like it when I wear the apron as it protects my "good jeans", which is one of the ultimate oxymorons.

Mike Lemon
02-10-2019, 12:30 PM
I wish I could find one that was almost floor length
Why not just sew a piece of fabric to the bottom of a regular lab coat?

Bill Carey
02-10-2019, 9:24 PM
Never. I started as a carpenter so it's the most comfortable for me to wear a small clip on pouch that holds the 6" ruler, 6" square, pencil, and DC remote.

Osvaldo Cristo
02-11-2019, 2:56 PM
Sometimes when looking at pictures of woodworkers from half a century ago they are wearing buttoned shirts and ties. The apron was likely a way to keep the good cloths clean.

My experience with an apron ended quickly because it wasn't comfortable. Of course others may find them comfortable.

Reaching into pockets to find a square or ruler can be a little dicey if there is also a marking knife in there.

jtk

Exactly my own experience. I really would like to be comfortable with one apron as it looks so nice... when used by others! :D

They are not for me!

Jason Martin Winnipeg
02-12-2019, 4:03 PM
I've never worn an apron. I've never really felt the need to as my clothes don't get that dirty with hand tools, and all of the things I need are on my workbench or on the wall.

That said, I did order a Lost Art Press chore coat (https://lostartpress.com/products/the-lost-art-press-chore-coat), which I guess is similar in function to an apron. Except I would wear the chore coat out of the house too.

Simon MacGowen
02-12-2019, 6:29 PM
I've never worn an apron. I've never really felt the need to as my clothes don't get that dirty with hand tools,

Do people these days work in their shops with their best clothes on?

I have several pairs of clothes (some for warm seasons and some for cold seasons) for shop use...don't care if they get dirty or not after a day of work.

Simon

Jason Martin Winnipeg
02-12-2019, 7:16 PM
Do people these days work in their shops with their best clothes on?

I have several pairs of clothes (some for warm seasons and some for cold seasons) for shop use...don't care if they get dirty or not after a day of work.

Simon

I just wear my regular street clothes. I find the "dirty" I get from hand tool woodworking is a good kind of dirty, if that makes sense. Having a few shavings on my clothes makes me feel better.

Hmm... new fashion idea for hipsters... clothes that come with wood shavings already on them. I'm going to be rich!

ken hatch
02-12-2019, 7:35 PM
I just wear my regular street clothes. I find the "dirty" I get from hand tool woodworking is a good kind of dirty, if that makes sense. Having a few shavings on my clothes makes me feel better.

Hmm... new fashion idea for hipsters... clothes that come with wood shavings already on them. I'm going to be rich!

How do you sharpen, glue up, and finish? Inquiring minds want to know.

ken

Jason Martin Winnipeg
02-12-2019, 7:42 PM
How do you sharpen, glue up, and finish? Inquiring minds want to know.

ken

I hand sharpen with diamond plates. Usually I use windex. I clean off the iron with a rag.

I usually use fish glue for gluing, but it depends on the item I'm making. I don't think I've ever gotten glue on my clothes.

I finish with tung oil, danish oil, or shellac. Tung oil and danish oil get put on with a facial swab, shellac with a brush.

Maybe I'm just neat? I don't know. I get more stains on my clothes from eating than I do from woodworking.

Kris Cook
02-12-2019, 11:12 PM
...Glued a small magnet between the bucketboss tag and outside of right side chest pocket so 6" rule doesn't fall out when I bend over.

Excellent idea. I have the Duluth Trading Co. cross-back apron and I wear it whenever I am in the shop (although the new shop isn't done so it will be a while). I took my 6" rule out because it kept falling out. I will be using the magnet idea for sure. Thanks for that.

I have the apron with just the side pockets and the high pockets (not the one with the low pouches which seem like sawdust and shaving magnets). I keep a pair of cheaters, mechanical pencil, Sharpie, and extendable eraser in the breast pockets, and a 4" double-square in one side pocket, a 6" combination square in another, and a 16' tape in a third. As others have said, I like knowing where these often-used tools are without having to look around for them. I have tried to figure out a scabbard or padding to keep a marking knife in the breast pocket but as handy as it would be I just can't convince myself the risk is worth it. I have thought of sewing something down lower and to the side - in an area less prone to causing involuntary harikari. Haven't figured it out yet however.

Richard Jones
02-13-2019, 5:19 AM
Funny, I have never thought about wearing an apron to keep clean, only to keep up with tools. Interesting...............

Malcolm Schweizer
02-13-2019, 6:05 PM

I bought this one on eBay. It was made for a gin company and the logo didn't stamp well, so it was sold as a defective one. I use it more for when I'm using a power tool like a grinder, but it is also good for keeping glue off my clothes. So, in short, it's mostly a wall hanger, but it made for a great picture.

Simon MacGowen
02-13-2019, 6:13 PM
but it is also good for keeping glue off my clothes.

Other people have also mentioned about keeping glue off...but how does glue get onto your clothing? Do you spread glue with your fingers, then wipe the fingers on your clothing? I have never had glue on my clothes...except may be on my shoes if I am not careful about glue drips.

Simon

Malcolm Schweizer
02-13-2019, 6:32 PM
Other people have also mentioned about keeping glue off...but how does glue get onto your clothing? Do you spread glue with your fingers, then wipe the fingers on your clothing? I have never had glue on my clothes...except may be on my shoes if I am not careful about glue drips.

Simon

Actually in strip built boatbuilding that’s exactly what I do.

Mel Fulks
02-13-2019, 6:56 PM
Yes, a great picture. And she looks quite regal with that hand and curl, looks like a newly discovered Vermeer!

Brandon Speaks
02-13-2019, 8:13 PM
Nope, never, cant imagine buying one. No disrespect for those who do, I just cant imagine wanting to wear one myself.

Jim Koepke
02-13-2019, 8:51 PM

Simon

It is usually accidentally and discovered after it has dried.

Though in my experience there have been people, very few, who can work on cars or do hand silkscreen printing* without getting any debris on their hands or clothes. One has to exercise discipline in their work and after a while it becomes second nature to not get messy while working. This has never been one of my strong points. Though one time my brakes on a 1957 VW Bus had to be worked on in the dark while wearing a suit. That was me being very careful for an hour or two.

My better shirts and pants do not get worn in the shop if much work is to be done.

jtk

*One of my careers was as a silkscreen printer. A man named Keno was the only silkscreener in my experience who didn't look like a painters palette from doing the job. At one time he almost didn't get a job because the production manager didn't believe he could be a printer and not have the ink stains to show for it. Fortunately there was someone on the site that knew him and explained that he is strange in that he doesn't get dirty.

ken hatch
02-13-2019, 8:56 PM
I bought this one on eBay. It was made for a gin company and the logo didn't stamp well, so it was sold as a defective one. I use it more for when I'm using a power tool like a grinder, but it is also good for keeping glue off my clothes. So, in short, it's mostly a wall hanger, but it made for a great picture.

Malcolm,

The photo works on several levels, both as "Art" and as a family photo. A hard combo to make work. Of course your helper being beautiful helps.

ken

James Pallas
02-13-2019, 9:00 PM
Makes you look good Malcolm. Oh you were talking about the apron, missed that entirely.
Jim

ken hatch
02-13-2019, 9:08 PM
It is usually accidentally and discovered after it has dried.

Though in my experience there have been people, very few, who can work on cars or do hand silkscreen printing* without getting any debris on their hands or clothes. One has to exercise discipline in their work and after a while it becomes second nature to not get messy while working. This has never been one of my strong points. Though one time my brakes on a 1957 VW Bus had to be worked on in the dark while wearing a suit. That was me being very careful for an hour or two.

My better shirts and pants do not get worn in the shop if much work is to be done.

jtk

*One of my careers was as a silkscreen printer. A man named Keno was the only silkscreener in my experience who didn't look like a painters pallet from doing the job. At one time he almost didn't get a job because the production manager didn't believe he could be a printer and not have the ink stains to show for it. Fortunately there was some on the site that new him and explained that he is strange, he doesn't get dirty.

Jim,

I ain't one of those either. My problem is I forget I'm wearing the new shirt MsBubba just gave me with the usual results followed by many "Yes dears" and usually some lame excuse like I just walked out to the shop to turn the lights off and I don't know how it happened. Of course that is followed by the skank eye.

The worst offender is when sharpening I can't help but clean the iron on my belly just before taking a good look at the edge. No telling how many shirts were ruined before I started using an leather apron.

ken

Al Launier
02-20-2019, 2:07 PM
Still looking for an extra long full length shop/lab coat. I have an apron, but that doesn't keep my sleeves clean when running power tools, even when using a DC.

Charles Wiggins
02-20-2019, 2:21 PM
No. Having previously been that approximate size of a Winnebago at one time it was impossible to find one that fit and consequently I just didn't bother. I've considered it a time or two but is just seems like something else to potentially get in the way or get caught in a spinning blade. I don't recall any of the various YouTubers that I watch wearing an apron on a consistent basis. In fact, the only one that come to mind is Greg Paolini.

Zach Dillinger
02-20-2019, 3:03 PM
Sometimes....
https://www.theeatoncountyjoinery.com/uploads/6/7/7/8/6778367/4891200.jpg?300

Axel de Pugey
02-20-2019, 5:39 PM
I do!
Mainly because I often rush to the shop straight coming home from the office. I damaged a fair amount of quality shirts before to buy an apron.
It is simple and light and I never felt the need to carry anything in the pocket.

I do have the luxury to own two of them, a light one bought from Dictum, with a little plane on it and a thicker one with my family champagne logo for winter times!

This is definately working for me.

steven c newman
02-20-2019, 6:29 PM
Would have worn mine today....but,it seems to be in the Laundry area....was getting a might "gamey"......

Jake Rothermel
02-21-2019, 9:52 AM
I have a leather apron given to me as a gift years ago. I seem to forget to wear it more often than I remember it and it's even hanging up near the shop door. As a couple other folk have mentioned, I started out as a carpenter moving from work site to site so I grew accustomed to just wearing "work clothes" and then nicer clothes when I wasn't working. Typically these days, roughly 3/4 of my day to day clothing could be classified as "work clothes" that already have glue, paint, oil, what-have-you on them...

I do like the concept of wearing an apron for sharpening and "messy" work ...maybe this thread will (re)inspire me to put it on more often...

Günter VögelBerg
02-21-2019, 10:20 AM
I only wear an apron while using my lathe, which is mercifully infrequent. I find aprons heavy and uncomfortable.

lowell holmes
02-21-2019, 12:19 PM
I have one I wear when painting something.

J. Greg Jones
02-21-2019, 12:37 PM
I want to wear an apron all the time in the shop, really I do! However, I just cannot be comfortable in one, mostly because I get too hot. I do wear one when gluing up or applying a finish to a project.

Georg Zudoff
02-21-2019, 1:51 PM
I'm agreed with Mr. Koepke!
I have not an apron. Of course I can buy it, but here, in Ukraine, you could look beetwen aprons for coffemakers (barista), aprons for welders made from tarpaulin (hard canvas cloth). I wear overalls - right now, winter time, or (I've gratuated in 1994 - so I saw USSR in all things) in the "Trousers of potential Enemy" (this is phrase of my Teacher from military school in my University) - n Jeans!

Randy Benway
02-23-2019, 5:05 AM
Back in the 70's when I started in pattern shops, everyone wore an apron so I did too. Still do. One thing though - NO pockets! A journeyman who saw pockets on your apron would likely tear them off. NOTHING that might scratch the models was allowed.

OMG! Yes! In 1979, I had just finished my carpenter apprenticeship but then got the rare chance to get into the Caterpillar pattern shop. I was one of 2 apprentices in a 50 man wood shop. Everybody wore WHITE aprons. NO LOWER POCKETS! You did keep the upper ones for a scale and hard lead pencil. The old guys (one journeyman had been there 45 years) came in with white shirts and bow ties! I had 2 or 3 aprons. You changed out when they started to look less than fresh. Thanks for the flashback!

steven c newman
02-23-2019, 11:52 AM
Just ran mine through the washing machine, last night....was getting a might....nasty. Will have it on, later, today...

Bill Jobe
02-23-2019, 4:05 PM
Only if I'm in heals.

Simon MacGowen
02-24-2019, 1:11 PM
Just saw this link in another thread - https://youtu.be/9TNtaamaaf8?t=525

I wonder when he would realize that wearing an apron with the knife of a marking gauge exposed in the pocket is not a good idea at all.

Simon

steven c newman
02-24-2019, 6:03 PM
After a long day today...finally hung the apron up...
Nothing is placed in those pockets...they get enough shavings, chips, and sawdust as it is..

James Pallas
02-24-2019, 6:30 PM
Only when on this forum it's amazing how much stuff you can get on you reading some of the posts here.
Jim

Kurtis Johnson
02-25-2019, 1:04 PM
Just saw this link in another thread - https://youtu.be/9TNtaamaaf8?t=525

I wonder when he would realize that wearing an apron with the knife of a marking gauge exposed in the pocket is not a good idea at all.

Simon

The guy’s work is none too shabby, but lunking around all those clunky items around would drive me crazy.

Bill Jobe
02-26-2019, 12:33 PM
Only if I'm in heals.

I can't find the edit button. Would someone please correct my spelling to "heels".
Thank you.
Any idea why there's no edit button?

Charles Bjorgen
02-26-2019, 8:11 PM
I have a shop apron but never got into the habit of using it. However, after looking at a pair of pants I used during a recent glue up I may start doing so. Also any kind of finishing would make sense and save damaging my clothing.