PDA

View Full Version : Sargent 4306

Joe Tilson
02-08-2019, 3:25 PM
I was wondering if anyone has a Sargent 4306 knuckle joint block plane. Do they work well. I would like to have good and bad about them. I looked in the advanced search, which had no results. I found one at a flea market Wednesday, but can't find out much about them. This one is in pretty good shape, and I would post a picture, if one of my cameras was working, sorry.

don wilwol
02-09-2019, 7:13 AM
They work well. They were one of Sargent's version of the knuckle block plane.

Joe Tilson
02-09-2019, 7:52 AM
Thank you Don. I went ahead and cleaned it up yesterday, and you are right, it does work well. It works almost like a number one with all the adjustments it has. I use my number one like a block plane with tote and knob to help steady my shaking hands.

don wilwol
02-09-2019, 8:16 AM
I tend to have a soft spot for anything Sargent

Joe Tilson
02-09-2019, 9:47 AM
I'm with you on that. Let's face it, we just like old tools that still function properly after 90-100 years. I even have a Shelton block plane I like. Favor Sargent but cull nothing.

Tony Zaffuto
02-09-2019, 10:01 AM
I'm 66, and my deceased father (2004) was first a house carpenter and then later field superintendent for very large commercial/industrial contractor. I was in his shop from time I could walk(learned sharp chisel issues the hard way). Small town house carpenters, in those days would do every bit of it from foundation work to finish work. Tools were tools used to earn a living and no tool was sacred.

He favored Sargent and Atkins as brands, but worman/trade quality. He had a couple of better tools, like a few Winchester chisels.

don wilwol
02-09-2019, 11:06 AM
Do have the book? https://www.timetestedtools.net/product/the-sargent-hand-plane-reference-guide-inventory-workbook-combo/

Joe Tilson
02-10-2019, 8:40 AM
Tony
My grandfather(Papaw) used Disstons Keystone saws and favored Millers Falls hand tools. Sargent was his second choice. I never knew what brand chisels he had.

Don
I do not have your book. Some day I may be able to afford it. I understand it is excellent.

Tony Zaffuto
02-10-2019, 9:17 AM
Joe, what I remember as a very young kid, in the mid 50's, going with my dad to the "planing mill", where lumber and all goods for home building, as well as hardware items were purchased. All interior was milled there for the house interior (in the town of 900 people, there were two such "planing mills").

Stanley were not the tools of choice, but rather Sargent planes and Atkins saws. No Miller Falls at all, except for miter boxes! Hand saws were "touched up" at job sites (have both of the saw vises my dad had), but for full fledged sharpened, an old gent in a neighboring town, was utilized. I went there a few times with my father, and the old guy (had to be a 100!), worked in a small shed behing his house. Building looked like an old chicken coop, one window and a single electric light bulb. No tools, except saw vise, and many saws hanging on the wall. Every time we went there, on way home, my dad would simply say "better than new".

Joe Tilson
02-11-2019, 11:11 AM
My dad was good at math and was a computer with the 400th Artillery during WWII. He went on to become a rate clerk for the Clinchfield RR. I didn't think he knew much about carpentry until we did some repairs to our house. Boy did I find about my dad's ability as a carpenter. This is why I talk about being around papaw when talking about woodworking.

Atkins saws are very good saws along with Simmons, Bishop, and others. While Stanley has a long well deserved history, I think they lost out when they moved to China. The Chinese are making some pretty good tools this day and time, as Woodriver and other brands are examples.

I am beginning to sharpen some of my saws now and hope to have people say "good as new" about my work, in the future. It is something we can leave to others to enjoy as we do. Memories of the past are nice.

Bill Houghton
02-11-2019, 11:23 AM
China? I know that Stanley dropped American manufacture of their planes toward the end of the 20th century and imported (alas, not all of) the English-made planes; and I know that their modern planes are made internationally - at one point the bench planes were made partly in Mexico and partly in the U.K. But I've not seen references to production of Stanley hand tools in China. Stanley knockoffs, sure; dozens of them.

Joe Tilson
02-12-2019, 10:17 AM
Thanks Bill, I stand corrected. Should have been more specific.