PDA

View Full Version : dining chair help

Chris Daigh
12-05-2005, 12:16 PM
Well after too many hours to count and a trip to the emergency room, my dining room chairs are finished except for the seat. I am looking for some guidance on the corner supports and how they are screwed into the sides. The chair is not supported at the bottom so I would like the supports to also strengthen the chair. Doing a search I saw Kirk Constables chairs http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24817&highlight=dining+chairs and like the way his chair is supported but how do you set up the screw holes. Are they at an angle or straight in. Any help is much appreciated.

Carl Eyman
12-05-2005, 1:41 PM
Chris: When I did my chairs I ran the screws into the rails at a 90* angle to the rails which made them at an acute ange to the corner blocks. My reasoning was a screw doesn't hold well in end grain and if you run the screws at an acute angle you are running somewhat like end grain. I'll be interested in what others have to say.

pat warner
12-05-2005, 4:08 PM
I cut my corner braces so the grain runs from corner to corner.
Before I cut the blank from the doner stick I waste a square corner out of it. Now then, the brace is an ell and can be drilled squarely into its edge.
Can jpeg you a sample. Email pat@patwarner.com for pix request.

Dennis McDonaugh
12-05-2005, 4:53 PM
Well after too many hours to count and a trip to the emergency room, my dining room chairs are finished except for the seat. I am looking for some guidance on the corner supports and how they are screwed into the sides. The chair is not supported at the bottom so I would like the supports to also strengthen the chair. Doing a search I saw Kirk Constables chairs http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24817&highlight=dining+chairs and like the way his chair is supported but how do you set up the screw holes. Are they at an angle or straight in. Any help is much appreciated.

Chris, I do it the way Pat does it it--at a 45 degree angle. Actually, its not quite a 45 degree angle because I angle the sides out 4 degrees. I also put a notch in the side of the brace that contacts the leg in the middle so there are three points of contact.