PDA

View Full Version : Framed Mirror

Michael Gabbay
12-05-2005, 12:06 PM
I've been asked to build a framed mirror by LOML for our new bathroom remodel. This will likely be a beveled moulding style frame with mitered corners. I was unsure how to join the corners so that the frame would be able to support the mirror.

I was hoping for recommendations for books and technique if any one has some.

Thanks, Mike

Chris Lee
12-05-2005, 12:17 PM
For something like that a spline joint would probably be best. I guess it depends on the sizeof the material. I have used spline joints for picture frames mainly for design and used a contrasting wood, but it adds a lot of strength to the joint.

Chris

tod evans
12-05-2005, 12:17 PM
pegged bridle joint if you don`t mind showing end grain on the sides. the face can be mitered. .02 tod

Lee Schierer
12-05-2005, 12:43 PM
As the others have mentioned, there are several joints you can use. Two more that I can think of would be a mortice and tenon with the tenons horizontal so they support the weight. Or lap joints if you can tolerate the end grain showing on the sides. I have used both to support mirrors.

You can even use pocket screws if you want. That's how I did this miorror.http://home.earthlink.net/~us71na/Oakmirror.jpg

Michael Gabbay
12-05-2005, 1:01 PM
Thanks guys. I think the bridle or the spline might work out. It will be sprayed with a white lacquer so the end grain should not matter.

Mike

Keith Christopher
12-05-2005, 1:12 PM
Thanks guys. I think the bridle or the spline might work out. It will be sprayed with a white lacquer so the end grain should not matter.

Mike

Mike,

If it's to be sprayed with WT Laquer well I would just use M&T joinery as the laquer will cover the joint lines completely.

Keith

Michael Gabbay
12-05-2005, 4:02 PM
Keith - I would use M&T but the corners will be mitered and the moulding is likely to be beveled.

Thanks, Mike