PDA

View Full Version : Those were the days...

Malcolm Schweizer
02-07-2019, 3:28 PM
I found this video- apologies if it's been shared here before. It's just an old video of various hand-tool woodworking from the good ol' days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJicqhd37t8

Tom M King
02-07-2019, 7:29 PM
Thanks for posting that. I had some old guys working for me, when I first started building houses in the 1970's, that had started around that time. All could sharpen a handsaw, as well as circular saws, and tune a plane. They've all left here now, but I enjoyed their company, and learned a lot from them.

Mel Fulks
02-07-2019, 8:18 PM
Tom, I bet they all called electric drills "drill motors".

Tom M King
02-07-2019, 9:41 PM
The oldest one did. Mr. Randolph Pierce. He was 73 when I hired him in 1974. He had grown up on a farm, but hated farming, and loved building. His last few years, he didn't work, but came almost every day to hang out, and watch us work. He always kept a wooden crate of small bottles of Coke in his van, and would put one in his small metal cooler when he took a cold one out. The last day I saw him, he shook my hand, and gave me the best compliment I've ever received, since it was coming from him-but not to be repeated here.

Mike Manning
02-07-2019, 11:53 PM
That was an extremely enjoyable watch. The good old days without doubt.

Joe Tilson
02-08-2019, 4:16 PM
Watched my grandfather do that very work in the late 50's early 60's at the age of 10 or 11. Wanted to be a carpenter, but my parents didn't want that at all. I just never got a chance after that until retirement.

Stew Denton
02-08-2019, 10:00 PM
Hi All,

During the section on Pattern Making, I kept hoping to see an Emmert Pattern Makers Vise, maybe even in the background, but didn' see one. Did anyone see such, and I just misssed it?

Malcolm, thanks for posting it, very interesting and enjoyable. I am planning to watch it again tomorrow.

Part of what they called "rough carpentry" we used to call "framing." In the little town where I worked for a carpenter when I was young the carpenters did everything, but in the big towns the guys on the big crews speacialized as "framers" and "finish men."

Thanks and regards,

Stew

Sean Nagle
02-09-2019, 12:01 AM
Interesting to see the balloon framing.

Stew Denton
02-09-2019, 12:42 AM
Sean,

I noticed the baloon framing also. I don't know when Baloon framing was ended due to the fire danger it posed, but it was before I carpentered back in the early 70s.

Stew

William Adams
02-09-2019, 9:00 AM
Yeah, I was very fortunate to have been able to hang out with my Great Aunt Annie Mae's bridge partner's husband, a fine cabinetmaker, who was very patient with me and my questions (wish I'd asked more). Very glad to have a tool box which I knocked together out of scraps one afternoon at his direction (though it's becoming something of an impediment to how I arrange my tools --- thinking I should break down and set it aside for rough carpentry tools only).

Charles Guest
02-09-2019, 9:13 AM
Here's another good one (a series on several trades) in Ireland. This one is about furniture-makers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx2y7MAys20

Chris Schoenthal
02-09-2019, 12:02 PM
I used to have an uncle who was a painter. No rollers or sprayers back then. Walls, ceilings, sides of buildings and everything was done with a brush.

Chris

James Pallas
02-09-2019, 2:50 PM
Malcolm you make many of us feel like fossils. There are still of few around that look at that as yesterday not the olden days. I remember well starting new houses with no electrical and none on site for a month or so. The fifties and sixties are not ancient history yet:)
Jim

Mel Fulks
02-09-2019, 4:02 PM
Some good tips : " start saving your change to buy tools". I got a kick out of the long takes of the segment signs.
"Mr. Turner, COLORIZE this film !"

Jeff Ranck
02-11-2019, 2:21 PM
I've posted this before, but this is what we watched in shop class to teach how to use and take care of tools. Still makes me smile to remember.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGkOOtd3GmY