PDA

View Full Version : Need help to properly identify this plane?

Paul Eichner
02-07-2019, 3:15 PM
So I found a rusty dusty mess of a plane at an antique store, picked it up for cheap figured it might make a nice user. The issue is I can't figure out exactly what I bought, at first I thought it was a No 4 type 8 or so Stanley with an incorrect frog, based on the lever twist but now I'm not all that certain anymore.

I cleaned it up pretty well, the only marking on it anywhere is the front of the knob No 04. Maybe a Keen? one thing I read was that Stanley made some beds for Keen or something to that effect, but really just looking for input here. All in all not a bad little plane.402944402945402946402947402948402949

Phil Mueller
02-07-2019, 6:09 PM
Hi Paul, you may have a little better luck over in the Neader area. Perhaps a Moderator will move this there.

steven c newman
02-07-2019, 9:04 PM
Ohio Tool Company, No. 04.....Sometimes, they were marked as 0-4.....happen to have a No. 0-7 in the shop.....iron even has the same shaped cut-out....as Stanley held a patent at the time.

Paul Eichner
02-08-2019, 3:43 PM
Thanks Steven I found the same info.

Stew Denton
02-09-2019, 12:36 AM
Paul,

One more agreeing that it is an Ohio plane. My Ohio #4 looks almost identical. It has the same turned up nose at the front of the tote, the same tapered iron, thick at the business end, with the same hex cut out. It has "no 04" on the toe, and the same shape horizontal adjuster lever. I didn't take the frog off, but recall, when I worked on it that it has the same shape bed that the frog sets on. The only significant difference that I see, is that my plane has "OHIO" cast between the tote and frog.

Restoring mine was a battle, because parts were extremely hard to find, the aren't that many OHIO planes out there. I would not have gone to the trouble if the plane had not belonged to my Grandfather, and has his initials lightly metal stamped into it.

Stew