PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt MBF table setup

William Chain
02-07-2019, 2:13 PM
I recently acquired a beautiful 1956 Dewalt MBF RAS. It is in wonderful condition, needs zero restoration, and came with every factory nut and bolt to mount the table, and all the original manuals and paperwork still inside the Dewalt/AMF envelope from Lancaster, PA in 1956. Even the tag that hung on the power cord. It is incredible.

I ordered a copy of the Mr. Sawdust book, and I will build that table (no idea on ETA for the book). I have the manuals and all the bolts, but the means of leveling the mounting bars and the table are not crystal clear, and it would appear that it is a convoluted system of accessing hidden fasteners. I'd like to get the table on there with a more convenient and robust means of aligning everybody. I attach here a photo of a restored saw (not mine, I present this as an example of a modern mount workaround) with what believe I will try to do.

Does anyone have a better suggestion, or better yet photos of the easiest way to mount/align the table on this terrific saw?

Please, I don't want to debate the merits of radial arm saws or why I am using this, etc, I just need some intel on getting this table on there nice and dialed in.402938

Earl McLain
02-07-2019, 6:17 PM
Once you have Kunkel's book and read through it, it will make a lot more sense. Short version (in my limited experience--i'm not an expert)--the factory mounting system doesn't really need the mounting bars to be dead on--just close. Then, the mounting bolts for the table itself can be used like jack screws to level the top to the blade. I was really stressing on how to level the bars on my GWI before reading Kunkel. When i got into i still used the head sideways and the end of the arbor to dial the bars within probably .008" +/- of each other--way closer than it needed to be. Then in mounting the table probably got it to .002" sweeping the arm around at the end and center of the carriage.

The sensible part is that the table top is what needs to be referenced to the blade--and the top will be off by some amount by itself. So...the ability to jack the mounts to the bars up & down really is what takes care of squaring. I'd bet that if my bars had been 1/8" or maybe more out of plane with each other--it would not have taken much more effort or time to square up the table. The system Dewalt originally developed was really quite clever, though relatively simple. I'm not at home, but if i recall my top is 42" wide--can't recall the depth...maybe 3" to 4" past the end of blade travel?? It still was pretty easy to dial in, well under an hour as i recall.

Good luck--i hope you like your MBF!!
earl

William Chain
02-07-2019, 8:56 PM
Thanks man, I am excited. I cannot wait to get the book in hand and get this thing in service. I’m starting the table and hopefully it’s ready when the book arrives.

Once you have Kunkel's book and read through it, it will make a lot more sense. Short version (in my limited experience--i'm not an expert)--the factory mounting system doesn't really need the mounting bars to be dead on--just close. Then, the mounting bolts for the table itself can be used like jack screws to level the top to the blade. I was really stressing on how to level the bars on my GWI before reading Kunkel. When i got into i still used the head sideways and the end of the arbor to dial the bars within probably .008" +/- of each other--way closer than it needed to be. Then in mounting the table probably got it to .002" sweeping the arm around at the end and center of the carriage.

The sensible part is that the table top is what needs to be referenced to the blade--and the top will be off by some amount by itself. So...the ability to jack the mounts to the bars up & down really is what takes care of squaring. I'd bet that if my bars had been 1/8" or maybe more out of plane with each other--it would not have taken much more effort or time to square up the table. The system Dewalt originally developed was really quite clever, though relatively simple. I'm not at home, but if i recall my top is 42" wide--can't recall the depth...maybe 3" to 4" past the end of blade travel?? It still was pretty easy to dial in, well under an hour as i recall.

Good luck--i hope you like your MBF!!
earl

Jim Becker
02-07-2019, 9:09 PM
Wow...what a nice find!!!! Totally worthy tool!

Kim Gibbens
02-07-2019, 9:47 PM
You might want to hold off on starting that table until you get the book. It is pretty specific about the construction and you might want to follow the instructions to the t, I know I did. Once you have it built and zeroed in you will be glad you took the time to follow the instructions. My first Dewalt was an MBF, it came without a table and by the time it came to build the table ( I had the book ) a 1030 round arm came into my possesion and the table went on that saw. I gifted the MBF to my stepson. Great saws. Good luck with yours.