PDA

View Full Version : Wow - so much wrong....

John Isgren
02-06-2019, 11:50 AM
https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/beginner-making-cuts-using-hand-saw-4008865

Bob Leistner
02-06-2019, 11:57 AM
He has to be right. It's on the internet ain't it?

Nicholas Lawrence
02-06-2019, 12:05 PM
I think you should try that “back-cutting” method and report back.

Pete Taran
02-06-2019, 12:25 PM
I especially like how he is using a blacksmith's leg vise to hold that old crusty piece of wood, which looks to be from a salvaged pallet.

Simon MacGowen
02-06-2019, 12:25 PM
Among other things, my Japanese friends learned something new: that their fine-toothed saws are modern and not traditional ("Traditional hand saws are typically of the forward cutting motion...")

Many people who share their knowledge (in text or videos) with good intentions don't know enough about their area of expertise. Here is another example we have seen before:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Hand-Cut-Dovetails-for-Dummies/

Simon

Bob Glenn
02-06-2019, 2:29 PM
Simon, it's obvious who the dummy is at that website!

Malcolm Schweizer
02-06-2019, 3:25 PM
I had trouble getting past the grip he had on that saw.

Bill Houghton
02-06-2019, 4:00 PM
All that, much of it wrong, incomplete, confusing, and so on, and he doesn't even actually tell you how to make a cut, as his title promises.

And I've never heard a Japanese-style saw called a "backcutting" saw and certainly not a "backsaw."

Pity there's not a comments section. I did send an e-mail.

Bruce Haugen
02-06-2019, 6:19 PM
I had trouble getting past the grip he had on that saw.

I have trouble with the saw he’s using.

Malcolm Schweizer
02-06-2019, 8:35 PM

That’s funny- I was so focused on the five finger death grip that I didn’t see the saw- what’s up with the big hole in the front of the plate? Maybe in 50 years that will spark a discussion on a forum similar to the nib discussions we have today.

James Waldron
02-06-2019, 9:38 PM

Hard point saws have their place. In my shop, that place is under the seat in my pick-up for trips to the lumber yard. (Mine doesn't have a big hole in the tip, tho.)

Bruce Haugen
02-06-2019, 10:40 PM
Hard point saws have their place. In my shop, that place is under the seat in my pick-up for trips to the lumber yard. (Mine doesn't have a big hole in the tip, tho.)

I understand your point; I have a difficult time with any single-use, throwaway tool.

Lonnie Gallaher
02-07-2019, 10:09 AM
An observing eye will notice that all of the photos are "stock photos." The main picture does not look like Chris Baylor.