PDA

View Full Version : Nobex 180 miter box issue

Ray Bohn
02-06-2019, 1:01 AM
I have had this for approximately 8 years and it gets used maybe 30 cuts a year. For some reason while working on a project, the 45 degree stop seems to be a degree or two off (halfway through the project- continually clamped to bench and not moved).

I tried the method of using opposite settings for each miter cut hoping it would cancel out the error- no luck.

What should I look for?
Can this be calibrated/fine tuned?

Thanks

Charles Guest
02-06-2019, 2:28 PM
I have had this for approximately 8 years and it gets used maybe 30 cuts a year. For some reason while working on a project, the 45 degree stop seems to be a degree or two off (halfway through the project- continually clamped to bench and not moved).

I tried the method of using opposite settings for each miter cut hoping it would cancel out the error- no luck.

What should I look for?
Can this be calibrated/fine tuned?

Thanks

Something happened to my Nobex Champion -- inexplicably went out of adjustment. I fooled with it, couldn't figure it out, and chunked it in the garbage. I made a manual miter box and thirty minutes later had one that was more accurate than the Nobex ever was. Too much aluminum, plastic, pot metal, and other assorted dinky parts on Nobex saws.

Tom Stenzel
02-06-2019, 3:49 PM
I've got a Craftsman miter box. Same saw as a Nobex, the base is different. The degree positions are molded into the metal and can't be adjusted. Still it's been good enough for around the house projects like moldings.

I've had a problem where the pivot pin (where it rotates when changing the angle) has two screws holding it. If the screws are loose the pin will wobble and allow the saw to go out of whack. Make sure that pin is secure.

Also check to see if the rods holding the saw are still perpendicular to the base. I don't know about your house but at my house things get dropped.

-Tom