PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
12-05-2005, 10:34 AM
Well another weekend has come and gone and awoke this morning to much cooler temps. :rolleyes:

Spent some time in the shop this weekend. Been helping Mark Cothren with getting a box made for a fellow he knows as well as me working on a box for a friend of mine that I have GOT to get it done since it will be a Christmas present for this person.

Been feeding the new soapstone woodstove firewood and boy at the difference it is to have an actual WARM home for the first time in 6 years!!! In case you don't understand that statement....our primary heat has always been natural gas. At least 3 times each year our natural gas bill would be almost $400 for a given month with the thermostat kept at 64º F. So, the LOML would keep the thermostat at 60º F to try and reduce the NG costs. A normal non-heating bill is about $29 a month. So we decided with the rising costs of NG, we'd put in a EPA approved, effecient woodstove. My family is so happy now..!!!! The house is warm, the heater is EXCELLENT and the boys just love helping with the wood for the new "heater". ANYWAY, we are thrilled with the new woodstove.:D :D :D

Sunday was church and Sunday night is our usual Family Night where I don't do anything but sit and spend quality time with the wife and kids before each work week begins.

This week at "work" will be a real "hum-dinger" since we are fighting with vendors over some hardware / performance issues and each vendor is pointing fingers at each other....so the fight is on.:rolleyes: :mad:

So, what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Steve Clardy
12-05-2005, 10:41 AM
Glad your stove has worked out and your nice and toasty Dennis.

Restored a Buck chisel, adding to my hand tool collection.
Made a jig for my lathe to dress up plane knobs.
Piddled in the shop, contemplating finishing up my insulation in the roof, now that it's cold weather.:rolleyes:
Insulation project was going to be done before cold weather. But------:(

Jim Becker
12-05-2005, 10:42 AM
This weekend marked the first full weekend home with the girls, so it was mostly catering to this "being a parent" thing. I did get the hands-free kit installed in the Highlander on Friday, but otherwise, it was preparing meals, giving English lessons and dealing with behavior, both good and bad. We are finally almost all on East Coast time...although it's still a far earlier start than I prefer being a non-morning person... ;)

I am hopeful to get a few hours to hit the Ft Washington Woodworks show sometime next weekend and maybe get some time to clean the shop in anticipation of maybe some small projects from time to time. But we'll see...

Tyler Howell
12-05-2005, 11:07 AM
Very productive. Demo and reconstruction in the master bedroom project. Hopefully this one won't take 6 years. All the power tools are back in the living room though. Gives it that homie feel all over.:rolleyes:
A little family time and a little R&R with youngest daughter.

Jim Hager
12-05-2005, 11:10 AM
Well let me see, what did I get accomplished. I cut out 14 paint grade doors saturday morning, went to an auction less than a mile from the house, came home and assembled the doors and went back to stick around for the tool sale.

I came home with a columbia rapid action woodworkers vise for $10:D , a box of 6" 5" 4" and 3" aluminum blast gates for $1:D :D :D :D and a few other not woodwork related items for equally good bargains. No one but me knew what the blast gates were and I kept my mouth shut. They sold them to me as aluminum rings.

Went to work sanding and staining a kitchen that I have going on Sunday, got the doors sprayed with sanding sealer and all of the top cabinets stained, and all the base cabinets sanded. All in all a pretty good weekend.

Don Baer
12-05-2005, 11:33 AM
I worked on the Mallof table on Friday night and Saturday, shaping the legs. Spent Church Sunday Morning, spent the rest of Sunday watching Football while cleaning the Shop/Garage and getting ready to take off to Phoenix. Which reminds me gotta get going and get on the road.

Scott Coffelt
12-05-2005, 12:42 PM
It was our 15th wedding anniversary, so made it an extended one. Took the wife shopping all day Friday, then we had a hotel room for the night. Her work had a semi-formal xmas party, so kind of got to kill two birds. A real nice time we had and a really fine historic hotel.

Worked some on Saturday and Sunday in the shop, lots of house work and putting up xmas decorations, etc.

Lee DeRaud
12-05-2005, 1:17 PM
No comment: if you had to go by me, this thread would be titled "Weakened Accomplishments".:eek:

Bill Webber
12-05-2005, 1:29 PM
Gee, I actually did some woodworking! It's hard for me to believe, but I think it has been nearly 4 years since I did anything that was not construction grade. I shoulda taken a picture.

Anyway the new house has an island in the kitchen that is 24 x 48. I want it to be 36 x 60 with seating when we put the granite counter tops on. I bought three ready-made oak newel posts at the Borg. I cut the square part down some, then chucked 'em in the lathe and continued the tapered part, leaving a single bead, to make three legs. I dragged a couple oak boards off the pile on Saturday. I cut them to rough length and ran em to rough dimensions through the jointer and planer. Sunday I checked the moisture content (should have done it Saturday at the fresh cut). The meter said 8% so it should be fine. I finished planing, cut a little ogee (?) curve on the ends of the rails, cut 1 1/2 inch deep mortises in the posts and rails, and joined the whole shebang with floating tenons.

It's always interesting to count up the number of tools used for what should be a relatively simple little project. Lessee, Delta band saw to cross cut the newel posts, Hegner lathe to turn them. Robland K26 for jointer, planer, cross cut saw, Dewalt RAS for ripping, Performax 16-32 for sanding, Delta BS with a scroll blade for the curves in the rails, Stanley 9 1/2 and LN 97 to smooth the flat surface inside the curves, Ryobi OS to smooth the curves on the rails, Elu router to provide a little round over to the edge of the rails, marples chisels to complete the round over on the inside corner, router gadget and the MiniMax mortising chisels for the mortises. Anyway, a fun little project.

I'm really looking forward to getting my new Oneida 3 hp dust collector going. This old 2 hp double bagger with all the pipes really sucks... er, I mean it doesn't suck, i mean it sucks cuz it doesn't suck much... oh well :cool:

Now I have to take the leg assembly it up to PA to see if it fits and then return it home to put the finish on. Pleasant weekend project.

Regards,

Bill W.
Woodworkers visit me at:
http://www.oldtoolsshop.com/Galoots/wWebber/

Bill Lewis
12-05-2005, 1:54 PM
Pretty productive weekend. The drywall lift I bought on ebay arrived on Friday so we hung drywall in the basement on both Saturday and Sunday (hence my other post regarding drywall finishing techniques).

I also decided to give in and buy a Roto-Zip package (Z20) because I had lots of recess cans and other round junction box holes to cut out.

I'm happy to say that both of the new tools work great, and were well worth it.

Keith Christopher
12-05-2005, 2:00 PM
Bought a new lathe:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27104

turned some pens:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27147

Looking into entering rehab.

:)

John Hart
12-05-2005, 2:02 PM
Took the girls sled riding for the first time this year. They had a lot of fun and I sat in the snow drinking a super large capuccino. Attended the annual Christmas Play starring my girls and done entirely in Slovenian...So I didn't understand a single word....just took pictures. The rest of the weekend was spent making the Itty Bitty Contest Trophy and goofing off.

Matt Meiser
12-05-2005, 2:40 PM
Friday my wife took the day off and took me to The Woodworking Show, which was kind of disappointing compared to last year's show, but I was separated from some money for some sanding supplies, the Forrest plywood and melamine blade, a set of GRR-Rippers and a few other items. Saturday and Sunday I spent most of the day sitting around, but did make it out to the shop for a couple hours Sunday evening.