PDA

View Full Version : Headboard finished (pic)

Jim Bills
12-05-2005, 10:02 AM
Some of you had asked for a finished photo of our headboard, so here it is. Took my wife and I exactly 2 months from raw wood, to the finished product.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-05-2005, 10:30 AM
Jim.......beautiful headboard! What kind of wood and finish did you use? With work like that I'll bet it's hard to be humble in Humble!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Jim Becker
12-05-2005, 10:33 AM
Very nice, Jim. Once of the nice things about this kind of project is that you see it daily and can enjoy the satisfaction that you created it yourselves.

Jim Bills
12-05-2005, 10:34 AM
I used qtr sawn red oak for everything but the inserts, and the lower stretcher. The inserts are qtr sawn white oak veneer over 1/2" baltic birch, and the lower stretcher is flat sawn red oak.

I used General Finishes "Spiced Oak" oil stain over a grain filler, and top coated with 3 coats lacquer sprayed with a HVLP sprayer.

Thanks for asking.

Jim

Bob Winkler
12-05-2005, 10:39 AM
Beautiful results Jim. No "sleepless nights" over that project. Looks great!

Bob

David Duke
12-05-2005, 11:44 AM
Nice work Jim, I know you and your wife are proud of it!!

Mike Zozakiewicz
12-05-2005, 1:53 PM
Beautifully piece! are you planning a matching footboard?

Jim Bills
12-05-2005, 2:27 PM
No plans for a matching footboard for now. The sleep set is on a metal frame, and the headboard is actually for appearance only. That said, it is built with heavy enough to convert to a conventional bed at a later date if desired.

Jim Bills
12-05-2005, 6:36 PM
Thanks to all of you for the positive responses, the photos really don't do justice, but that's another story.

Jim

Jim Dunn
12-05-2005, 6:40 PM
Very nice Jim. Looks like it will serve it's purpose for years to come.

Ken Salisbury
12-05-2005, 8:28 PM
VERY NICE !

Corey Hallagan
12-05-2005, 8:38 PM
Excellent Jim, nice work. It looks great!

Corey

Jerry Olexa
12-05-2005, 8:59 PM
Great job and I like your finish...Enjoy it

John Gornall
12-05-2005, 10:53 PM
Could you tell a bit about the design and the reasons behind it?

It's interesting having a rail and style frame around a triple rail and style panel.

Probably just the photo but the inner 3 panel section seems to have a miter joint on the upper right corner and a 90 degree rail and style joint on the top left.

Keep up the good work and thanks for the picture.

Walt Drummond
12-05-2005, 11:08 PM
Great job, Jim. I'm sure there is a lot of good sleeping to come for that headboard.

Jim Bills
12-06-2005, 9:33 AM
Thanks for the interest in this project, the design is totally original, so I can't blame anyone other than myself if it doesn't work. We wanted a simple, but not totally plain headboard. I designed the headboard to reflect these desires. I also wanted to explore using curved parts, as most of my past projects have consisted of only straight parts. The center section is simply a large rail & stile door (rotated 90 degrees) and divided into 3 sections. This center panel fits in a groove on all the structural pieces (top rail, legs, and lower rail). The structural elements are face glued to create 1.5" X 3.5" sections. Due to the length of the rails, I elected to try "Beadlock" joinery, and it actually worked well. The length of the loose tenons worked out to be 2-7/8" and they were the 1/2" beadlock stock. I used the 3/8" stock to join the lower stretcher. Some of the construction details are shown in the photos.