PDA

View Full Version : Max cutter head diameter, RPM etc

Warren Lake
02-04-2019, 1:17 PM
I was looking up maximum cutter diameter and RPM on the Griggio last night and found this chart in the manual. Its all old style tooling listedbut dont think that changes things much or at all. RPM limits in tooling from the past were at times because of the cutter fastening system say the old serrated at 3,500 RPM limit for the 3" serrated heads.

I tried to look at the SCM T130 PDF but cant read it no matter how I try to expand it. Does anyone have their manual from an SCm T130 with a clear chart. The graphs also talk diameter and speed but when heads are large most likely two are used and they are cutting tennons. Its not going to change RPM but be nice if it was clear that swinging that much weight is okay for each machine. Likely towards 16 - 20 lbs of cutters with both.

Has anyone built a top spindle brace from an old power feed base? Years back I mentioned large cutters to the tool and die maker and he said you can run a bearing on the top of a spindle, he had never seen a woodworking shaper or even knew what is was just a comment form his tool and die background and things he had modified and improved.

David Kumm
02-04-2019, 1:25 PM
402771402772The first is from the T130 and the second from the Knapp shaper. Dave

Rod Sheridan
02-04-2019, 2:01 PM
Hi Warren, David has provided the standard speed charts for cutter limits of 40 to 75 m/s. Obviously manufacturers specifications suprcede these guidelines.

I've included a chart from my small shaper showing cutter height/diameter versus maximum spindle speed.

regards, Rod.