PDA

View Full Version : Grandpa's woodshop prayer....de jeur

Roger Feeley
02-04-2019, 12:09 PM
Lord give me the patience to explain and identify every tool in my shop to my three year old grandson...every day.

He's at the "Whats that?" stage. I know, it'll pay off in the end when I get my little shop buddy.

Mel Fulks
02-04-2019, 12:20 PM
Sounds like a good job! I hope you are giving demos ,too. Amazing how much they can quickly soak up and build on.

Andrew Joiner
02-04-2019, 5:09 PM
I understand Roger. I'm grateful to have had that experience myself with my grandkids. I love to patiently explain and demonstrate tools to them.

It brings me back to when I was a kid.
At age 4 or 5 I was allowed to play in my uncle's basement alone. Half of it was his woodshop. I was told " DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING" in the shop half. I'd stand there studying every tool and machine. I new my uncle built all the cabinets for his home and others in the family. When I asked what did what I was told"just don't touch". I think they were afraid if I knew what did what I'd be to tempted and get in trouble.

Didn't stop me from begging my parents to let me buy a table saw. At age 8 I was allowed to have one if I promised to only run it when someone was home! No one ever showed me how to use it. Never saw someone use one. But I studied the heck out every Popular Mechanics magazine I ever got my hands on. Luckily I've never been hurt by the many table saws I've had in 60 years.

Bob Glenn
02-05-2019, 9:55 AM
Roger, good on ya. This also guarantees that your tools will have a home when you pass.