PDA

View Full Version : Table Top fastener

Jim Riseborough
02-04-2019, 11:23 AM
So I am going to have to make my table so it can come apart. Top is 10'x4', and I will have two leg sets about 2'-0" in from the end. To secure it to the table so it gets some lateral support, I was going to either use a threaded insert or drill a hole, then epoxy a nut into the hole for a bolt. I cant find any threaded inserts over 3/8", I would prefer to use something bigger. Any issues epoxying in a nut? I can do as many as needed, even down the middle thru the bracing it will have.

Jack Frederick
02-04-2019, 11:58 AM
You could make your own insert. Decide what size you want and drill a hole in a piece of steel plate. Insert the nut to whatever depth you want and weld it into the plate. Cut the nut plate to whatever shape you want and glue and screw it from there. I would have a bolt in the nut while fabricating this piece to maintain concentricity and give yourself enough to get a hold back on it as it will likely be stiff. I have done this with a rod coupling and then cut it to length. Have a bottom tap on hand to tune up the threads if necessary.

Jim Becker
02-04-2019, 12:00 PM
It would be helpful to have some visual references for your leg system and how it will meet up with the table top. In general, I'd say that sturdy nuts secured with epoxy (and a tight fit) would work fine, but they might not be as secure as a threaded insert might be. Have you checked McMaster Carr for bigger threaded inserts, say...1/2"?

Jerry Olexa
02-04-2019, 12:27 PM
Be sure to allow for the seasonal movement of the wood in your plans....Just a thought

Jim Riseborough
02-04-2019, 12:47 PM
It would be helpful to have some visual references for your leg system and how it will meet up with the table top. In general, I'd say that sturdy nuts secured with epoxy (and a tight fit) would work fine, but they might not be as secure as a threaded insert might be. Have you checked McMaster Carr for bigger threaded inserts, say...1/2"?

Im finding bigger ones for metal, I think i could use that too, with a bit of epxoy too. Its not got to be super tight. I figure two each leg, and one in the center diagonal.

Jim Riseborough
02-04-2019, 1:44 PM
I think I will use a flange (see pic) and tap it for the size I want. I can recess it, use some nice lag screws and have it flush. Its not like I will be taking it apart daily.

Jamie Buxton
02-04-2019, 6:36 PM
I’ve bought brass threaded inserts larger than 3/8” - maybe 1/2? - from McMaster-Carr.

Wayne Lomman
02-04-2019, 10:18 PM
Have you made the top yet? The best way is to set threaded plates into the joints in the top as you glue it up. You fit them as you go as if they were loose tenons. This way is totally invisible and as solid as a brick out house. Cheers