PDA

View Full Version : Drill press jack

Ole Anderson
02-03-2019, 8:44 AM
Saw this idea somewhere. Had to replace the jack on my trailer, it would jump gears at max load. So I took off the wheel, cleaned it up, painted it and mounted it to raise the cast iron table on my old drill press. Fun project.

Al Launier
02-03-2019, 9:56 AM
That is a great Idea! I use a long stroke hydraulic cylinder that works better than having to physically lift/lower the table (no crank), but it is a bit of a nuisance.
I like your idea much better. Way to go!

Matt Day
02-03-2019, 10:13 AM
I’ve got the same thing on my PM1100. Works good, though luckily I don’t have to adjust the table height often. Mine was about $30 from HF.

Bill Dufour
02-03-2019, 10:36 AM
With that upgrade never lift then table without loosening the clamp first or it will snap off. If it binds even a little stop and free it up, do not force it with the jack or it will snap off.
Bil lD

Mike Delyster
02-03-2019, 11:17 AM
I’ve added a counterweight to a couple of drill presses. I put the counterweight in the column and ran a small cable to the back of the table.

https://youtu.be/WDUs1wwY4us

justin sherriff
02-03-2019, 12:34 PM
I’ve added a counterweight to a couple of drill presses. I put the counterweight in the column and ran a small cable to the back of the table.

I am going to have to try this on my drill press. What did you use for the weight? I was thinking a pipe filled with sand so I out add more till I get the right amount.

Ole Anderson
02-03-2019, 1:42 PM
With that upgrade enver lift then table without loosening the clamp first or it will snap off. If it binds even a little stop and free it up, do not force it with the jack or it will snap off.
Bil lD Sounds like a man sharing experiences...

Mike OMelia
02-03-2019, 3:12 PM
Saw this idea somewhere. Had to replace the jack on my trailer, it would jump gears at max load. So I took off the wheel, cleaned it up, painted it and mounted it to raise the cast iron table on my old drill press. Fun project.

So cool! I hate my rack and pinion POS. Bows out, fails to rotate. Why does somebody not make an add on product to solve this?

Bill Dufour
02-03-2019, 5:53 PM
Sounds like a man sharing experiences...

No experience yet. I have been thinking about putting an electric motor on my DP to crank the table up and down.
Bill D

Larry Frank
02-03-2019, 7:29 PM
I have looked at a linear actuator and looks interesting.

Andrew Joiner
02-03-2019, 7:45 PM
No experience yet. I have been thinking about putting an electric motor on my DP to crank the table up and down.
Bill D
I use a drill for the motor on my set-up. Your right about always unlocking the table. Mine won't break the table off but would strip threads in my lift system. It's actually fun to raise and lower the table!

Bill Dufour
02-03-2019, 8:48 PM
I have a car window motor around that might have enough torque. I have to come up with an adapter for the shafts.
Bill D

Bob Michaels1
02-03-2019, 10:51 PM
I use a drill for the motor on my set-up. Your right about always unlocking the table. Mine won't break the table off but would strip threads in my lift system. It's actually fun to raise and lower the table!

Yup, you want a gear motor for the job and that's what a drill is. I removed the crank handle and bought an extra 20 volt Dewalt drill and hook it to the drill press. I can run the table up or down with the flick of forward or reverse. Works like a charm. Any old drill will do the trick. Always hated cranking the table up or down. I'll try to get a photo and post it.

Harry Niemann
02-06-2019, 11:14 AM
I used an old fashioned window weight as a counter weight.

Jon Nuckles
02-06-2019, 1:39 PM

That looks great, Mike. Another thing to add to the list of shop improvements I need to make. Thanks.

Lisa Starr
02-16-2019, 3:21 PM
Ole - I just put a trailer jack on my DP this afternoon. I've been looking for an easier way to raise/lower the HEAVY cast iron table on my old Rockwell. This works like a charm. Thanks for posting.

Alan Lightstone
05-12-2019, 8:25 AM
I have looked at a linear actuator and looks interesting.

That's what first came to mind for me.

Tom Bender
05-21-2019, 9:29 AM
Mike's counterweight looks great! It does not interfere with table travel and takes up no space in the shop. Works perfectly, why even consider another approach.

Randall J Cox
05-21-2019, 10:49 AM

I bought the jack at HF years ago, had my son shorten the handle (he metalworks) and make a bracket to fit underneath the table on both sides of the column, mounted it upside down on the column with u-bolts. I had expanded the table size significantly which makes it very heavy, this jack idea works great! Highly recommend. Randy