PDA

View Full Version : Australian Buloke- where to get, sizes available?

peter gagliardi
02-02-2019, 8:01 PM
I have and use a random mix of some of the harder exotic woods, as jobs call for it. Leftovers I use to make odd items and tool and knife handles, etc.
I would like to find and buy some Australian Buloke- partly curiosity, partly to see what I can use it for- the wood geek in me coming out.
So far, my efforts at googling up a clear and obvious source is being muddled by all the clutter ads and such that actually have nothing in regard to this particular wood being available. search engines doing their damndest to steer me in all the wrong directions.
What sizes might be available- hoping for small planks or boards possibly, not just knife scale size pieces that I see on Ebay.
Thanks

Wayne Lomman
02-02-2019, 8:46 PM
Look it up as bull oak, ironwood or allocasuarina leuhmannii (check the spelling on that). For those wondering why, this is the hardest timber on the planet. Cheers

Earl McLain
02-03-2019, 12:49 AM
You might reach out to George at George's Bits of Timbers https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/ I'm seeing ironwood pen blanks on his web site, but if it's what you're looking for he may very well have some other sized pieces. I buy a fair amount of Australian woods from him, always fair and as timely as the shipping from Australia can be (generally about 10 days to the USA). He's a bit of a genius at pressure casting root balls, as well as Banksia seed pods--both of which make great pens.
Good luck,
earl