PDA

View Full Version : Hearing Aids – What do I need to know?

Bruce Page
02-02-2019, 6:54 PM
I have finally accepted the fact that I may need hearing aids. There are so many scammers out there that I don’t know where to start. Should I just walk into Costco’s hearing center and trust them? I am much more interested in quality than in a bargain.

I would love some advise from those that have been down this road.

Thanks

Mike Henderson
02-02-2019, 7:20 PM
You will get very good hearing aids at Costco and you'll pay a LOT less. I bought my aids at Costco and paid about $2,500 for the two. Those EXACT same aids at the ear doctor would have been $7,000.

Costco gets the aids at a good price from the manufacturer and pays their audiologists a salary instead of a commission. They sell the aids for a reasonable markup. Other advantages:

1. You have 6 months to try the aids out. Any time within 6 months you can take the aids back and get your money back. The ear doctor usually gives 30 days.

2. Your aids are guaranteed for 5 years (if I remember correctly - check with them). If you have problems it will not cost you anything to get them repaired.

3. You get free insurance against loss. So you could go in and tell them you lost your aids and you'd get new ones free. But if you show up with your original aids, you won't get them back. They have the serial numbers.

The cost to build hearing aids is very low. What you're paying for is the engineering and marketing cost. That's why they can give you new aids if you lose yours. And the hearing aid companies sell through Costco for the same reason. Costco has high volume and if the hearing aid company makes $100 per aid, that's a $100 that they wouldn't have gotten if they didn't sell through Costco. They make much higher profit selling to the ear doctor (but much smaller volume per doctor).

The issue, to me, is whether the audiologist at your local Costco is good. Some are better than others so ask friends who have experience there.

Mike

[P.S. I've worn aids since I was in my 30's so I have a lot of experience. I've also purchased three sets of aids from Costco. One set I wasn't satisfied with and returned. They gave me all my money back.
One other piece of advice. They will try to get you to use what's called "domes" in your ears. You'll do better with a custom ear mold. They charge $75 at the Costco here to make them and you can't return those. This is for over the ear hearing aids.]

[P.P.S. The ear doctors and their audiologists hate Costco (for obvious reasons) and will say all kinds of bad things about them. Take it with a grain of salt.]

Bruce Page
02-02-2019, 9:52 PM
Thank you Mike, that's what I was hoping to hear. I would prefer in-ear over over-ear. What are the advantages/disadvantages between the two?

Bill Dufour
02-02-2019, 10:03 PM
Some high school kids are now using the wireless earbuds and their cell phones as hearing aids. They think it is "cooler" then wearing a hearing aid.
Bill D.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-02-2019, 10:20 PM
Bruce,

Sorry to read about your need of hearing aids!

Mike is right about Costco hearing aids and audiologists in general. Some of their hearing aids are just a slightly different packaged respected major manufacturer hearing aid.

The cost of a hearing aid from an independent retailer varies. 2 years ago today I got a new model sound processor for my cochlear implant and was fitted for a new ear mold for a new hearing aid for my left ear. The new hearing aid was the same as the one I had EXCEPT it could communicate with the sound processor for my CI, it runs similar programs and I can adjust programs or volume from either device which results in changes to both devices. Medicare doesn't pay for hearing aids so I had to buy this one and it was $1,000 cheaper than it's very similar, same manufacturer, predecessor that I purchased at another ENT clinic. This latest HA was purchased from the audiology group associated with my CI clinic.

Bruce Page
02-02-2019, 10:56 PM
Thanks Ken. I was at our monthly retired old farts lunch yesterday and between the background noise of the delicatessen and the ten of us all talking I could barely hear a complete sentence. My tinnitus doesn’t help either. It’s time to get it checked out.
My frugal FIL went through cheap hearing aids like candy. It seemed like every time I talked to him he had a new pair. I don’t want to deal with that.

Bill Jobe
02-02-2019, 10:59 PM
It sometimes frightens me to realize what one looses as deafness sets in.
It's the closeness to family and friends that is perhaps the greatest loss.
I wear very hitech hearing aids and my experience is that ringing in the ears is not fixable.
Mine work in some situations, not others. With certain types of voices I hear perfectly. Other voices at differing frequency are barely understandable.
All in all, beneficial.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-02-2019, 11:25 PM
Bruce,

My left ear is dead, it's the one that has the CI and I am profoundly deaf in my right ear. I was told that my hearing aid for my right ear is the most powerful one manufactured. With the aid of the HA that right ear measured 6% in my last sound booth test. I can't function with just the HA. But I can function quite well with just my CI. Until recent model changes, Costco sold the identical hearing aid to my previous HA. I'm sure it was much cheaper than the over $3,000 that was paid for my initial hearing aid. My latest hearing aid is identical except as I stated it can communicate with my CI sound processor. This HA can only be purchased at a cochlear implant clinic. A change in programs or volume to either one will initiate the same change in the other device simultaneously. That is a software option that can be turned on or off. To be able to balance my hearing between my right and left ears, I wanted to be able to control the volume of the hearing aid independently from the sound processor so the HA audiologist turned that option off but any program changes I make does effect the other device. Thus if in a noisy hearing environment, I switch one device to a noise program, the other device switches to it's noise program too.

It's amazing how far hearing aids have come! Now they have the ability to tune (mapping it's called with a CI) narrow frequency bandwidths by adjusting the gain for that bandwidth. Thus if you have a hearing deficit in a certain frequency range, they can adjust the gain for that range to try to balance or compensate for your ears deficit. My hearing aid can have up to 5 different programs. I only use 3. I have a "normal" program for every day use. I use a "noise" program for noisy audio environments as in my shop when the DC is running or a restaurant and a "music" program that I use when I listening to music. The music program is raw, it uses no special frequency compensations. The other programs can cause me to miss subtle weaker sounds that in music give it more depth.

Bill Jobe
02-02-2019, 11:41 PM
I have to turn nearly all the bass off to enjoy music. Otherwise it drowns out instruments I'm fond of....piano, violin and drums.

Bruce Page
02-02-2019, 11:46 PM
Ken, this is probably a stupid question but how do you make these program changes, is it an app on your phone?:confused:

Bill, as far a I know there is no cure for tinnitus. I have tried a few over the counter wonder treatments to no avail.
I did read somewhere that too much salt in your diet makes it worse and alcohol makes it better. Go figure.. ;)

Mike Henderson
02-02-2019, 11:55 PM
Thank you Mike, that's what I was hoping to hear. I would prefer in-ear over over-ear. What are the advantages/disadvantages between the two?

I actually prefer the in-ear aids but I specifically wanted the aids that had Bluetooth in them so that I could connect them to my smartphone. It's made a world of difference in being able to use the phone. When I use my phone, the sound is right there in my ears. I can actually understand what people are saying when they call me.

I would HIGHLY recommend that you get aids with Bluetooth - it's really worth while.

Beyond that, in-ear or over the ear, your choice. They both work but I somewhat prefer in-ear. I think the in-ear aids have Bluetooth now. Not the little aids that they call in-canal aids, but the larger in-ear aids.

Mike

[I'll also add that with Bluetooth, I can listen to music on my smartphone and it's amazing how clear it is. The aids have a frequency response curve that compensates for my hearing loss (most people lose high frequencies) so I hear music "normally", adjusted to my hearing loss. Of course, hearing aids are not like normal hearing and in high noise situations, it's very difficult for me to understand speech.]

Mike Henderson
02-02-2019, 11:58 PM
Ken, this is probably a stupid question but how do you make these program changes, is it an app on your phone?:confused:

Bill, as far a I know there is no cure for tinnitus. I have tried a few over the counter wonder treatments to no avail.
I did read somewhere that too much salt in your diet makes it worse and alcohol makes it better. Go figure.. ;)

Maybe with enough alcohol you just don't notice the tinnitus:)

Mike

Keith Westfall
02-03-2019, 12:27 AM
I got mine just over a year ago at Costco. Senior discount (Alberta $800 off the top) and walked out at around $1200 for the pair. They're fairly small, silver colour, and had them for a bit before people noticed. Some still never have, or maybe just polite!

The girl at Costco (ear lady) said they were cheap (in price) because of Costco Memberships, and that was a way the passed the lower cost on to members.

I have been very happy, got the app on my phone for adjusting volume, that's handy.

My experience is that I can walk in at any time, they will clean them, replace the wax guards and domes, give me a supply of each of them, and when I ask how much, they say $0.00. Where do you get that kind of service anymore.

I made the right choice - for me.

Jim Becker
02-03-2019, 9:33 AM
I think about this more and more and would also likely entertain using Costco for all the reasons stated. My right ear has had issues for many, many years (sclerosis of some kind) and my left has degraded a bit. Speech discrimination in noisy environments is very difficult as a result of all of this and when I was still working full time (technical sales) it was not uncommon for me to have to turn my head to favor my left ear during some conversations...which also required me to explain why I was doing that since it might seem like I was staring off into space rather than paying attention. LOL

Michael Weber
02-03-2019, 12:44 PM
50 years of hearing aid need has given me a cynical opinion of a lot of the consumer sales end of the industry. I'll leave it at that as I could rant for pages about some of what I perceive as marginal ethical practices in an effort to maximise profits at a customer's uninformed disadvantage. Rant off. I have never dealt with Costco but find them generally well regarded on a few forums I read. Given options of where to purchase aids I would go to Costco then a non profit medical organization and absolutely last to a retail distributor.

phil harold
02-03-2019, 1:09 PM
I would HIGHLY recommend that you get aids with Bluetooth - it's really worth while.

phone calls thru my hearing aids is truly fantastic and hands free

also listening to my music is great too

I get my hearing aids thru the VA I had a major hearing loss while in the service, they say it is from the high pitch wail from the turbos on the diesel trucks we drove

Jim Becker
02-03-2019, 2:30 PM
50 years of hearing aid need has given me a cynical opinion of a lot of the consumer sales end of the industry. I'll leave it at that as I could rant for pages about some of what I perceive as marginal ethical practices in an effort to maximise profits at a customer's uninformed disadvantage. Rant off. I have never dealt with Costco but find them generally well regarded on a few forums I read. Given options of where to purchase aids I would go to Costco then a non profit medical organization and absolutely last to a retail distributor.

There are unfortunately a lot of outfits out there that try and take advantage of folks for many things including "hearing aids"...the ads are everywhere. Low-low prices for what "looks like" hearing aids, but are not anything more than some simple amplification. "Real" hearing aids do need to come from a professional so they are a good match for an individuals needs including with frequency compensation, but it's nice to have options now like the professional practice at Costco.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-03-2019, 2:56 PM

Bruce, there is a button on both sound processor for my CI and on the hearing aid that you push to switch programs. A separate button/switch on each device adjusts volume up/down.

BTW, there are a lot of theories out there about tinnitus with few that I am aware of with any real scientific evidence or majority of professional opinions of related cures. I have found that, for me, drinking a weak or decaffeinated coffee provides some minimal aid. I have constant tinnitus in my right ear and occasional tinnitus in my left ear. The HA on my right ear decreases the effect of the tinnitus. I have also noted my tinnitus seems to be at its worst when there are weather fronts coming through which seems to arrive with increased pain in my right hip which is arthritic. Those are just my personal observations with no scientific evidence or backing.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-03-2019, 3:04 PM
My situation is slightly different from Mike's. I have "Bluetooth" in both my CI and HA but it's a "proprietary" Bluetooth that requires a neck coil device to be worn. Normal Bluetooth communicates to the neck coil device (ComPilot) and it converts to the proprietary Bluetooth which talks with my HA and CI. With that neck coil device in mind, I have a "base station device" that can plug into my television or stereo and communicates with the neck coil device so my hearing of television audio is greatly improved. I can plug that same base station device into my stereo with greatly resulting in greatly improved stereo music hearing!

My cell phone using regular Bluetooth connects to the neck coil device (ComPilot) so my ability to hear on the telephone or recorded music on the telephone is greatly improved.

The hearing my right ear is so bad, profound deafness, that I have to wear a behind the ear HA with a ear mold.

I agree with Mike, get a HA with Bluetooth capabilities as it can result in dramatic improvements for several devices!

Bruce Page
02-03-2019, 3:10 PM
There are unfortunately a lot of outfits out there that try and take advantage of folks for many things including "hearing aids"...the ads are everywhere. Low-low prices for what "looks like" hearing aids, but are not anything more than some simple amplification. "Real" hearing aids do need to come from a professional so they are a good match for an individuals needs including with frequency compensation, but it's nice to have options now like the professional practice at Costco.

Jim, that was the reason for my original apprehension. Since turning 60 I’ve gotten a plethora of junk mail touting miracle breakthroughs in HA tech (now LOML is getting them too, LOL). My FIL probably spent more money on that crap than he would have on a professional set of hearing aids.

Michael Weber
02-03-2019, 3:41 PM
My situation is slightly different from Mike's. I have "Bluetooth" in both my CI and HA but it's a "proprietary" Bluetooth that requires a neck coil device to be worn. Normal Bluetooth communicates to the neck coil device (ComPilot) and it converts to the proprietary Bluetooth which talks with my HA and CI. With that neck coil device in mind, I have a "base station device" that can plug into my television or stereo and communicates with the neck coil device so my hearing of television audio is greatly improved. I can plug that same base station device into my stereo with greatly resulting in greatly improved stereo music hearing!

My cell phone using regular Bluetooth connects to the neck coil device (ComPilot) so my ability to hear on the telephone or recorded music on the telephone is greatly improved.

The hearing my right ear is so bad, profound deafness, that I have to wear a behind the ear HA with a ear mold.

I agree with Mike, get a HA with Bluetooth capabilities as it can result in dramatic improvements for several devices!

Ken, Advanced Bionics Naida CI with Phonak Naida UP Link up aid?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-03-2019, 4:11 PM
Ken, Advanced Bionics Naida CI with Phonak Naida UP Link up aid?

Yes, the AB Naida sound processor and the Phonak Naida UP hearing aid, the ComPilot and Phonak TV Link II. It's worked well for me.

Roger Feeley
02-06-2019, 12:57 PM
I used to work for Frontline Test Equipment, the leading protocol analyzer for Bluetooth. I worked on Bluetooth 4.0 and 5.0 which included Audio Streaming from hearing aides. At the time, Resound was at the bleeding edge. The industry had some lofty dreams.

You would have an app on your smart phone which could act as a sort of graphic equalizer. You could set all sorts of parameters in your hearing aide and then save them. You might have one setting for church and another for noisy restaurants. You can switch modes using the app. Additionally, you can tell the app to switch automatically based on your location. So when you enter the church, the HA goes into church mode.

My wife has bluetooth enabled HAs but nothing that sophisticated. She does get audio from her phone through her HAs which she finds very convenient. I find it a bit disconcerting to hear only her side to the conversation. But it's no different from BT ear-buds.

Be mindful of the batteries. The wifes HAs are rechargable but the batteries are $60 a set. A ripoff but the HAs are under warranty so we have to toe the line. Her batteries aren't giving a full day's service anymore (a year in) but she is trying to stretch them.

julian abram
02-06-2019, 6:02 PM
I used to work for Frontline Test Equipment, the leading protocol analyzer for Bluetooth. I worked on Bluetooth 4.0 and 5.0 which included Audio Streaming from hearing aides. At the time, Resound was at the bleeding edge. The industry had some lofty dreams.

You would have an app on your smart phone which could act as a sort of graphic equalizer. You could set all sorts of parameters in your hearing aide and then save them. You might have one setting for church and another for noisy restaurants. You can switch modes using the app. Additionally, you can tell the app to switch automatically based on your location. So when you enter the church, the HA goes into church mode.

My wife has bluetooth enabled HAs but nothing that sophisticated. She does get audio from her phone through her HAs which she finds very convenient. I find it a bit disconcerting to hear only her side to the conversation. But it's no different from BT ear-buds.

Be mindful of the batteries. The wifes HAs are rechargable but the batteries are $60 a set. A ripoff but the HAs are under warranty so we have to toe the line. Her batteries aren't giving a full day's service anymore (a year in) but she is trying to stretch them.

My rechargeable Cochlear batteries are $270 each but they seem to last about 2 years. No complaint, it's better than being deaf which I to experience for 6 months back in 2014.

Bob Coates
02-06-2019, 6:33 PM
Ok, not to steal this, but I spend lots of time in the shop and this is why I have postponed looking into getting hearing aids.
What do you do when your in shop, turn them off. or remove them.
Great thread.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-06-2019, 6:54 PM
I am bimodal so I have a cochlear implant and a hearing aid. I wear a lapel microphone windscreen as a dust cover over the microphone for my cochlear implant sound processor for my left ear and I wear my HA (hearing aid) on the right ear when I'm working in the shop. I put both in a noise program and work. I listen to music on a stereo.

The only times I take either of my hearing devices off is when I go to the gym to work out or when I go to sleep at night. At night I take both of the hearing devices off and charge the battery for the CI. In the gym, I work out aggressively and sweat profusely as a result. I've found through experience that sweat damages the dust covers for the microphones in my hearing aid causing the dust covers to need replacement. So, I take my hearing aid off when I go to the gym to work out and become monoaural using only my CI for that length of time.

Bruce Page
02-06-2019, 7:57 PM
Update: I have an appointment with Costco Hearing on the 14th to get checked out. I talked with a friend that wears Oticon Opn1’s and is very satisfied with them. From what I’ve been able to find out, they are pricey.

Brice Rogers
02-06-2019, 9:52 PM
I had read something recently, that it is advisable for someone with a hearing loss to get a HA sooner rather than later. The article said that if you waited too long, that your brain's ability to understand voice drops.

My Father-in-law has a high-tech set of hearing aids but always keeps them turned down to the point that people need to talk with an "outside voice" even in quiet environments. A couple of times, he had to remove the hearing aids for cleaning, etc., and our ability to talk to him and have him understand is about the same as with the hearing aids in place. I'm concerned that by keeping the volume so low that his ability to understand speech is going to continue to deteriorate.

What do you users of hearing aids think. Was the article accurate or inaccurate?

Mike Henderson
02-06-2019, 10:01 PM
Update: I have an appointment with Costco Hearing on the 14th to get checked out. I talked with a friend that wears Oticon Opn1’s and is very satisfied with them. From what I’ve been able to find out, they are pricey.

Costco doesn't carry all brands of hearing aids. I have no idea if they carry Oticon.

The hearing aid people have to compete with each other so you'll usually find that they offer similar technology in their aids so don't be afraid to try other brands.

Mike

Mike Henderson
02-06-2019, 10:05 PM
I had read something recently, that it is advisable for someone with a hearing loss to get a HA sooner rather than later. The article said that if you waited too long, that your brain's ability to understand voice drops.

My Father-in-law has a high-tech set of hearing aids but always keeps them turned down to the point that people need to talk with an "outside voice" even in quiet environments. A couple of times, he had to remove the hearing aids for cleaning, etc., and our ability to talk to him and have him understand is about the same as with the hearing aids in place. I'm concerned that by keeping the volume so low that his ability to understand speech is going to continue to deteriorate.

What do you users of hearing aids think. Was the article accurate or inaccurate?

I don't know if that's true or not, but if your FIL has the volume turned down the aids won't help him. If he's been hard of hearing for a long time, the louder sounds may not be pleasant for him. He would need to increase the volume slowly (over time) so that he gets used to hearing sounds at a level that would give him "normal" hearing. That is, if he has 20dB of loss, and he uses 20dB of gain, the sound he will hear will be approximately what he heard before he lost his hearing. I'm sure he has more than 20dB of loss - I just used that as an example.

Mike

Keith Westfall
02-10-2019, 1:48 AM

I don't wear mine in the shop, they will turn off or mute themselves while wearing my ear muffs. I still have enough hearing I guess that I don't feel they're needed there. For me, mostly in room where people may not speak loudly! Or other background noise.

Don't wear them all the time, probably should...

Joe Tilson
02-10-2019, 9:06 AM
I got my aids through Humana, and on their program through Tru Hearing, my cost was under $2000.00 for top of the line HAs (Flyte brand). I went back to inner ear type because of sweat getting in the mics. If you have retirement medicare insurance, might be worth looking into as well. Do not go to Beltone!!! Gets dander up, sorry.

Mike Henderson
02-10-2019, 9:48 AM

I don't wear mine in the shop, they will turn off or mute themselves while wearing my ear muffs. I still have enough hearing I guess that I don't feel they're needed there. For me, mostly in room where people may not speak loudly! Or other background noise.

Don't wear them all the time, probably should...

I wear mine in the shop - mainly because I wear mine all the time. One advantage of the aids is that they have a sound limiter in them. That is, if there's a loud sound in the shop, the aids will limit how loud that sound is presented to the ears to keep it within a safe volume.

Most people who wear aids find that it's difficult to understand speech when there's a lot of ambient noise (such as a room full of people talking). There's work going on by the hearing aids companies to improve comprehension in those situations but it's still in the early stages. If you get a top of the line hearing aid from a reputable company it may have that technology (early technology, however). I think in a few years we'll see real improvement in that area.

Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
02-10-2019, 10:29 AM
I wear my HA and use my cochlear implant(CI) when I am in the shop. I do wear a lapel microphone wind screen over the microphone for my CI sound processor. I found that if I sweat a lot, the sweat damages the wind screens on the microphones for my HA, thus I don't wear the HA to the gym or if I am mowing the lawn. I don't wear either device when I go to bed at night.

Both my HA and CI have the ability to "muffle" loud sounds so they don't bother me. I can listen to music in the shop on my stereo, start the DC, power up a tool, use it and then after I shut the tool off, I can listen to the music again. Granted, listening to music and the power tools simultaneously is not optimal but it wasn't when I had normal hearing.

Bruce Page
02-20-2019, 11:24 PM
Well, I had my hearing tested last week and as expected I have severe loss in several of the higher frequencies and in a few of the lower frequencies. After the test the audiologist set me up with a pair of HA’s and told me to just walk around and listen to people talking, go outside and listen to the birds, etc. It was pretty profound. Now I have to decide what to do, what kind, and how much money I’m prepared to spend. I’d like to keep it under 3k. I’m also trying to decide which style would be better, in-ear or behind the ear. I think I would prefer in-ear but don’t know if there are any downsides to them.

Anymore great advice?

Jim Becker
02-21-2019, 8:55 AM
Bruce, were you happy with your experience at Costco? I think I'm getting closer to this...similar issue with frequencies; profoundly in the right ear.

Dennis Peacock
02-21-2019, 11:48 AM
Bruce,
I have recently gotten my hearing aids. I spent $5K but that was for the pair of aids, all doc visits, and audiologist visits for a full year...to also cover all office visits for software updates, and hearing program changes. I have the ReSound Smart 3D app on my iPhone and my aids are the ReSound LiNX Quattro. Really like them and I can change the programming on the fly based on where I am and what I want to hear more or less of. My frequency ranges are a lot like yours but the important thing for me was to have a good audiologist who will program the hearing aids to match my hearing loss diagnosis. My medical insurance helped to pay for most of the bill. My aids are "rechargeable" and a USB charger that I can carry with me to drop them into to recharge my hearing aids even when I'm away from home. A typical charge lasts about 3 days use.

Bruce Page
02-21-2019, 12:44 PM
Jim, I think so, the test seemed thorough but I have nothing to compare it to. The gentleman that did the test is a licensed NM-HAD specialist, (whatever that means) but it comes down to who do you trust. There’s a guy on you tube, Dr. Cliff, AuD that has several seemingly unbiased vids on Costco HA’s. The skill of the person doing the test and using the results to program the HA software is critically important. One of his videos “Costco Hearing Aids | The GOOD, The BAD, & The UGLY” goes into good detail about it.

Dennis, thanks for the info. I’ve been looking at the ReSound Vida that Costco sells. It sounds like it has similar features to the Quattro. Did you get in-ear? Do you think the rechargeable option is worthwhile?

Mike Henderson
02-21-2019, 1:05 PM
Jim, I think so, the test seemed thorough but I have nothing to compare it to. The gentleman that did the test is a licensed NM-HAD specialist, (whatever that means) but it comes down to who do you trust. There’s a guy on you tube, Dr. Cliff, AuD that has several seemingly unbiased vids on Costco HA’s. The skill of the person doing the test and using the results to program the HA software is critically important. One of his videos “Costco Hearing Aids | The GOOD, The BAD, & The UGLY” goes into good detail about it.

Dennis, thanks for the info. I’ve been looking at the ReSound Vida that Costco sells. It sounds like it has similar features to the Quattro. Did you get in-ear? Do you think the rechargeable option is worthwhile?

My opinion is that you're better off with batteries than with rechargeable aids. Couple of reasons: If you have a battery go dead while you're out somewhere you just put in a new battery. If you forget to charge your battery overnight (I'm sure it happens) and the battery runs out of juice, you're out of luck until you get home and charge up.
Also, it depends on how difficult it is to change the rechargeable battery when it fails. If they can do it in the store - good. If it has to be sent back to the manufacturer - not good. But even in the best case, you're going to be without a hearing aid until you can get an appointment.

Just make sure you get aids with Bluetooth.

Mike

Walter Plummer
02-21-2019, 2:54 PM
My Resound HAs work great for phone calls as long as everything is charged well. If any of the components are low they drop out. The call is still there you just have to use the phone normally.

Bill Jobe
02-21-2019, 2:57 PM
Don't want to mislead anyone nor promote the sale of 'snake oil' remedies for tinnitus, but I decided to give the suppliment Lipo Flavonoid Plus a try at the suggestion of a pharmacist.
Been taking it about 6 weeks now and I think it has reduced the roaring I have between my ears. There is serious ringing in both as well that seems to be slightly less noticeable.
I'm going to give it the full 60 days recomended and see if it's worth the $25+ per bottle.
Nothing.....nothing can get rid of it all.

Bruce Page
02-21-2019, 3:42 PM
I'm glad it's working for you Bill, you're one of the lucky ones. I did two full rounds of Lipo with no change.
Interestingly when I took the HA's for a test drive my ringing seemed to lessen. It could've been the newness of all the other sounds but it was noticeable.