PDA

View Full Version : Drywaller question?

Bill Lewis
12-05-2005, 7:14 AM
For you guys that have hung alot of drywall in your time I have a question, what is your preferred material and method for finishing outside corners?

Bob Winkler
12-05-2005, 7:51 AM
I stll use metal corner bead in doorways to protect against bumps. Other outside corners I usually use the paper with embedded metal bead.

Bob

tod evans
12-05-2005, 9:05 AM
crimped on metal for all 90`s. .02 tod

Jim Becker
12-05-2005, 11:02 AM
I've used both the metal and plastic corners...and I think the metal ones are better, at least in my experience.

Bill Lewis
12-05-2005, 12:18 PM
Now the reason I asked, I have used metal, plastic, paper, and paper with the metal strips before, and I am just not that good doing outside corners. aAcK!

Does the staking tool make a difference when using the metal corner bead? or does it just speed up the installation?

tod evans
12-05-2005, 12:23 PM
bill, it`s been my experience that crimping (staking?) the corner bead is less likely to cause a wrinkle. .02 tod

Bob Winkler
12-05-2005, 12:48 PM
What is usually your problem? Outside corners are usually easier than inside corners.

In my opinion, the secret to most drywall jobs is a big knife ;). Seriously, using a progressively wider knife that runs along the corner bead corner into the wall is a big help. I also find that I add a few drops of water to my mud to make it flow smoother.

A second advice tidbit is to not worry so much how it looks after applied, but still wet. In other words, the more you work it to look petty, the worse it will become. Fix it after it's dry with the next coat.

When all else fails, a wide sanding pad or sading screen can work miracles.

That's about all the wisdom I have. As an old timer once told me, "remember that it's only drywall and mud, nothing that important." :)

Bob

Lars Thomas
12-05-2005, 1:48 PM
USG has a product called Paper-Faced Metal Corner bead that I have used with success. It is through-out my basement which has three little ankle-biters running their cars/trucks into the walls non-stop. No evidence of wear or abuse in the corners. According to the sales materal, the benefit is that it is not attached to the framing member which shrinks/expands and causes the cracks in the first place. I believe they offer some type of warranty agaist cracking. I have found paint also adheres to the paper surface better then a traditional all-metal bead

Disclaimer: a good friend of my works for USG.

Bill Lewis
12-06-2005, 6:02 AM
Bob,

I can do DW finishing pretty well, I'm pretty fast and efficient, clean, and can make joints that need little more than a light sanding, for a non professional at least. My problem with outside corners seems to be being able to bury the corner bead sufficient enough to hide it without having a really thick layer of mud that needs to be feathered out wider than my 10" knife.

Yes, I'll admit, I do fall occasionally in to the trap of impaitence and I fail to "leave it alone", but not as much as I used to.

You're right inside corners can be a pain too. However, there isn't much you can do with different materials or products to change how you handle inside corners, it's ALL technique. That's why I was hoping that one material preference would rise above the others.