PDA

View Full Version : Removing dried,thick, linseed oil from concrete floor

Bill Dufour
02-02-2019, 2:49 PM
I had about 3/4 of a gallon of linseed oil in a metal can sitting on the floor of the shop in a corner. The bottom rusted out and it slowly weeped out. I pried the empty can up and there is a patch about one foot square with what looks like about 1/8" thick varnish. It is fairly hard like epoxy. I will chisel it up and then maybe paint thinner/acetone or what?
I had been smelling the linseed in the shop air for months but I like the smell so I was not concerned. I poured silicone sealer on the concrete shop floor when we moved in about 15 years ago so there may be a chance of getting it so it is not sticky. I plan to move my belt/disk sander to that area so it should be covered.
Bil lD

Frank Pratt
02-02-2019, 7:49 PM
Once the oil has polymerized, thinners won't take it off. You need to go with a paint stripper. Or try a heat gun & scraper. That sealer you applied to the concrete may just act as a release.

Tom M King
02-02-2019, 9:46 PM
It would be worth trying some of the concentrated cleaner made from Orange hulls, if you can still find it, once you chisel up what you can get. Most of the spray bottles you see of the orange cleaner are diluted a lot.

Kevin Beitz
02-07-2019, 2:41 AM
One of the oscillating tools with the scrapper attachment should help.

Thomas Crawford
02-07-2019, 11:38 AM
angle grinder?

Jason Roehl
02-08-2019, 6:46 AM
Scrape it. I bet it comes up without a whole lot of effort.

Dean S Walker
02-15-2019, 6:14 AM
Heat gun and a sharp scraper, been there!

Bill Dufour
02-15-2019, 3:08 PM
OP here: It broke up scraping with crowbar. Left a brown stain that I will try to remove with mek or acetone.
Bill D