PDA

View Full Version : Do you want russian olive?

Paul Williams
02-01-2019, 3:45 PM
Turners in the Minneapolis/St Paul area. I just had a large Russian olive cut down. I saved most of the trunks. If you would like some PM me. Free to fellow turners. It is way more than I can use and some pieces are too large for my lathe and I don't really want to cut them up if someone is looking for larger pieces.

Dennis Ford
02-02-2019, 11:57 AM
I wish it was not so far, Russian olive is nice wood for turning.

Jenny Trice
02-02-2019, 7:19 PM
Message sent

Paul Williams
02-02-2019, 9:42 PM
I have had two replies. Don't think they will take all of the wood. Here is a photo of the small pile that I left where the tree stood. The smallest piece is probably 12 to 14 inches by a little over 3 feet. The bigger pieces are "bigger." The device laying on top of the pile is an interesting tool for moving logs that a friend made. It amounts to a set of ice tongs slung below a bar with handles. Two people can lift one end of a pretty big log and drag it quite easily. My wife and I, both normal sized 72 year old retirees, gathered this pile from where the trunks fell. The rest of the tree we drug to our driveway and stacked a much neater and much bigger pile up off the ground and covered.

John K Jordan
02-02-2019, 10:14 PM
Yikes, do you go outside with that white stuff on the ground?!!

I'm a WHOLE lot younger (69 this year) and I use the tractor to move logs, preferably when it's warm out! (we have a heat wave - no coat needed today) :)

Are the spikes welded on? Do you set it on the ground, set the log on the spikes, and then lift?

JKJ

I have had two replies. Don't think they will take all of the wood. Here is a photo of the small pile that I left where the tree stood. The smallest piece is probably 12 to 14 inches by a little over 3 feet. The bigger pieces are "bigger." The device laying on top of the pile is an interesting tool for moving logs that a friend made. It amounts to a set of ice tongs slung below a bar with handles. Two people can lift one end of a pretty big log and drag it quite easily. My wife and I, both normal sized 72 year old retirees, gathered this pile from where the trunks fell. The rest of the tree we drug to our driveway and stacked a much neater and much bigger pile up off the ground and covered.

Paul Williams
02-03-2019, 9:25 AM
John, the guys helping cut trees were working in 23 degree below zero the day before. They thought it was warm the day we cut. Probably -5 to +10 during the day. Hardly any white sand on the beaches here. Unusually dry.

The lifting tool is a piece of Unistrut with short pieces of electrical conduit bolted across it. The ice tongs are suspended on a cable through their handles so that when you lift they pinch the log. It worked real good. We didn't have a single piece slip out or even act like it was loose. It was surprising how much we could lift when we didn't have to bend over and grab the log by our hands. All lifting was done with our legs.

Chris A Lawrence
02-03-2019, 10:06 AM
So its a home made version of one of these?

Al Launier
02-03-2019, 10:28 AM
Clever lifter!

John Nordyke
02-04-2019, 11:24 AM
The best use for Russian olives is in Russian vodka martinis.....just sayin'