PDA

View Full Version : What happens when Gmail shuts down?

lowell holmes
02-01-2019, 3:23 PM
I just saw that google is closing Gmail.
What is going on?

Are there other email services?

Wade Lippman
02-01-2019, 3:30 PM
you had me scared for a moment! Apparently they are shutting down Inbox to concentrate on Gmail. I have no idea what Inbox is.

Scott Donley
02-01-2019, 3:31 PM
It is just Google inbox not Gmail that is closing. Opps, Wade beat me, o'well.

lowell holmes
02-01-2019, 3:39 PM
Well, old dogs tend to get confused. Sorry fellows.

Dave Richards
02-01-2019, 6:14 PM
Or it could be the notification that Google+ is shutting down

Myk Rian
02-01-2019, 6:51 PM
Or it could be the notification that Google+ is shutting down

This. I got an email today.
It's Google+, not gmail.

Doug Garson
02-01-2019, 7:15 PM
To answer your other question, yes probably hundreds I have a shaw.ca (my ISP provider) account and an outlook.com account. There are also yahoo mail, hotmail and many more. Here's a link to a bunch.

https://www.technorms.com/14035/10-free-email-service-providers

Frank Pratt
02-01-2019, 7:46 PM
I think if Gmail was shut down all hell would break loose. It's frightening how much most of the population (me included) rely on Gmail.

Edwin Santos
02-02-2019, 10:37 AM
I think if Gmail was shut down all hell would break loose. It's frightening how much most of the population (me included) rely on Gmail.

Except in China where 0% of the population relies on Google because it is banned there as I found out the hard way recently. None of the Google products will function in China unless you have a VPN connection to connect to Google through a server located in some other country where it is not banned. I had to behave like a caveman, reverting to Apple Maps and using Bing for search. No access to my Google photos, music or YouTube either.

But I can confirm that over 1 billion people in China have found a way to function without Google, so it is in fact possible.

Mark Blatter
02-02-2019, 3:51 PM
I just read an article on Gizmodo about living without Google. The author separated out all apps using Google, everything possible to find, and lived/worked a week without them. It was a real eye opener since it meant that a huge portion of things she tried to do failed. Company web pages failed because they are linked to Google and she was blocking all access to Google. Google is the most invasive / useful company ever, depending on your point of view, with the possible exception of Amazon. It does make me wonder how we got along without them, but also, what does the future hold for the country/world? Here is a link to the article;

https://gizmodo.com/i-cut-google-out-of-my-life-it-screwed-up-everything-1830565500

I even now have a Google speaker in my home, as my son bought us one for Christmas. It got used for a couple of days, but has been silent for almost three weeks without being activated. I still wonder how much is heard and used by Google on a daily basis, but that is just my paranoia acting up.

Frank Pratt
02-03-2019, 11:38 AM
Except in China where 0% of the population relies on Google because it is banned there as I found out the hard way recently. None of the Google products will function in China unless you have a VPN connection to connect to Google through a server located in some other country where it is not banned. I had to behave like a caveman, reverting to Apple Maps and using Bing for search. No access to my Google photos, music or YouTube either.

But I can confirm that over 1 billion people in China have found a way to function without Google, so it is in fact possible.

Well, that's a relief :)