PDA

View Full Version : Things I did not know about Babe Ruth

Michael Weber
02-01-2019, 1:51 PM
https://delanceyplace.com

Mel Fulks
02-01-2019, 2:07 PM
Thanks, Michael. Some new to me material. Never been a much of a baseball fan, but even as a kid I knew he was a one off carachter.

Jim Koepke
02-02-2019, 1:19 AM
Many unique items about 'The Babe'.

He was the starting pitcher in the only game where the relief pitcher was awarded a perfect game. The new rules governing what determines a perfect game has relegated this to being an asterisk in historical accounts of perfect games.

Babe Ruth was ejected from the game for arguing the calls when the first batter was awarded a base on balls. Ernest G. Shore came in, the man on first was picked off or caught stealing, my memory is a bit fuzzy. Then the next 26 batters were retired in order, June 23, 1917, first game of a double header.

It may be that some of his pitching records have not yet been broken.

jtk

Larry Frank
02-02-2019, 7:04 AM
My dad attended the first all star game which was in Chicago in 1933 and saw Babe Ruth. The Babe hit a home run in the game.

Arthur Fleming
02-03-2019, 7:09 PM
Very interesting. Tough childhood.

Bill Orbine
02-03-2019, 9:35 PM
Many unique items about 'The Babe'.

He was the starting pitcher in the only game where the relief pitcher was awarded a perfect game. The new rules governing what determines a perfect game has relegated this to being an asterisk in historical accounts of perfect games.

Babe Ruth was ejected from the game for arguing the calls when the first batter was awarded a base on balls. Ernest G. Shore came in, the man on first was picked off or caught stealing, my memory is a bit fuzzy. Then the next 26 batters were retired in order, June 23, 1917, first game of a double header.

It may be that some of his pitching records have not yet been broken.

jtk

Your memory of the 1917 game a bit fuzzy? 101 years ago! Just how old are you?:eek: