PDA

View Full Version : Compressors

Richard Brown
07-03-2003, 3:25 PM
I have just come back from Home Deopt and was looking at the Huskey Compressors. One of these is called the Huskey ( least expensive) and the other is Huskey Pro ($369). I would like to see some comments with regardes to these comprssors and which one would be the best for the home shop. Both of these have and oil type pump. I know that Ingersol Rand is by far the best in this type unit, but way more expensive. I can run 220v as far as that goes for the Huskey Pro but I am not sure that the other one can run on 220. At the present I have and old Sears compress that I got in about 1964 and it is still running, but I know that one of these day it is going to give up. I use this little compresser for spray painting, nail guns and filling tires. TIA Dick

John Miliunas
07-03-2003, 5:58 PM
Richard, I'm not familiar with the Huskey brand, though I can assume it's probably similar to other units found at major Big Box joints. I agree that an IR would be the way to go, but unfortunately, $$ frequently plays heavily into the equation. Rule of thumb for tools like this is: Buy the biggest/best that you can afford. In a compressor, you really can't have "too big" (that's what they make valves for) and I'm sure you know that, depending on the tool in use, you can starve too small a unit. Over the years, I've tried to go with the higher-end units, but if it's something I won't be using real heavily, I've found lesser brands suffice just fine. Keep the oil level up, change it from time to time, keep the air filter clean and it should serve you for a long time. Like I said, just my $00.02-worth. Enjoy whichever one you choose! :cool:

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-03-2003, 6:44 PM
I have the big '7 HP' Porter Cable in my shop...and we have the comparable Ingersoll Rand at the mesquite outfit. I think the PC can be had nowadays for around $400...the IR around $500. Although I've not had any trouble with my PC, I'd definitely go with the IR if I was buying again. The PC just looks 'cheap' next to the IR. And as I recall, I had to buy a regulator for the PC...

KC

Wendell Wilkerson
07-04-2003, 11:06 PM
I believe the Husky brand is made by Campbell Hausfeld specifically for Home Depot. Some of the gauges on the Husky compressors even have the CH logo. I am not really an expert on compressors but I think Campbell Hausfeld has a pretty good reputation. I was planning on buying one of the smaller 25 gallon vertical tank Husky compressors. I don't really have room or spare 240V outlets to run one of the bigger compressors. I just need to make sure it can drive some of the HVLP guns I looking at buying later.

Wendell