PDA

View Full Version : Odies oil/wax/butter and finishing

Jonathan Gennaro
01-31-2019, 2:30 PM
Hey all,

I love the smell of odies oil, and have been using it as a friction polish. I'm somewhat new to turning.
I've been turning pieces to about 800-1200 grit, using odies oil as a friction polish, then rubbing some of the odies wax on with a paper towel and buffing it off. I feel like it never really buffs off and I get better results without the wax.
I'm going to pick up the beall wood buff system as right now im just using a soft pad on my small grinder. I'm hoping the beall system gives me better results.

Heres some questions I have..

1) Is the odies wax supposed to be super hard and crumble? How does everyone get it out? I guess i can just rub a tiny on a rag and wipe it on like I've been doing but just want to make sure I'm doing that right... Or maybe you can heat it up alittle so you can get more on?

2)Is the odies butter actually needed?

I guess I'm just looking for the best way to finish with odies.. Any advice from people who finish with it would be greatly appreciated!!

Pat Scott
02-01-2019, 7:42 AM
I've only used the regular Odies Oil and now the Super Penetrating Oil on my bowls. The Super Penetrating is so much easier to apply and wipe off. I believe Odies has some how-to videos on their website and I think FAQ's too that might help. I remember reading about the wax but don't remember what it said.