PDA

View Full Version : Brr!

Rob Luter
01-31-2019, 7:32 AM
21 below zero on my deck this morning.

Lee Schierer
01-31-2019, 7:52 AM
We currently have -12.3. It was sub-zero all day yesterday and all night.

Joe Bradshaw
01-31-2019, 8:45 AM
We are enjoying a balmy +23 here in NC.

Rob Luter
01-31-2019, 9:00 AM
We currently have -12.3. It was sub-zero all day yesterday and all night.

Yup. Same here. Our high temperature was -10 yesterday. The warming trend starts tonight, with a gradual warming to 50* by Monday. I can't wait for the flooding.

Chuck Wintle
01-31-2019, 9:22 AM
Blame Canada? :D The polar Vortex starts in northern canada and the cold air sweeps down from there.

Jerome Stanek
01-31-2019, 9:43 AM
Maybe we need a wall to keep the cold from immigrating

Gary Ragatz
01-31-2019, 9:46 AM
Yup. Same here. Our high temperature was -10 yesterday. The warming trend starts tonight, with a gradual warming to 50* by Monday. I can't wait for the flooding.

We bottomed out at -13 this morning (what a difference 150 miles makes!) with a wind chill of -35. Took the pooch out for a walk and it really wasn't too bad, except my glasses iced over and I couldn't see where the heck I was going (and our pooch is not cut out for guide-dog duty).

To add to the fun, the gas company issued an alert last night, asking everyone to turn down their thermostats to 62. They had a fire in one of their facilities, and they're concerned about running short of gas - shut down a bunch of GM and Ford plants to conserve.

I'll take the flooding - bring on the warm-up!

Malcolm Schweizer
01-31-2019, 9:53 AM
I heard a joke that went something like this:

Due to the cold weather, the performance of Hamilton had to be cancelled. Once again, Brrrr killed Hamilton.

Nyuck Nyuck Nyuck

Bruce Page
01-31-2019, 10:33 AM
31° here. I feel for all of you that are in the vortex!

Tom Stenzel
01-31-2019, 10:35 AM
It's a balmy -9 F here now. I'm also in part of Michigan that's affected by the Consumers Energy compressor station fire. It's kinda hard for me to turn down the thermostat as we normally keep it close to where they've asked us to lower it to.

But I did find out why we have this cold weather:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-tdYP7shac

The TV weatherman said that the cold was "going away" and we would be warming up the next 48 hours. Of course the arrows on the map had the cold weather that was leaving us is headed straight to Rod Sheridan's house.

-Tom

Matt Marsh
01-31-2019, 12:26 PM

Its been a few years!

Bill Carey
01-31-2019, 12:42 PM
Once again, Brrrr killed Hamilton.

Nyuck Nyuck Nyuck

LOL - good one. -20 when I got up this am.

Rod Sheridan
01-31-2019, 2:44 PM
The TV weatherman said that the cold was "going away" and we would be warming up the next 48 hours. Of course the arrows on the map had the cold weather that was leaving us is headed straight to Rod Sheridan's house.

-Tom

Thanks Tom, it's good to have friends that give you things.

Wind chill of -35..................Nice ice fishing weather............Rod.

Rod Sheridan
01-31-2019, 2:46 PM
Maybe we need a wall to keep the cold from immigrating

Good idea, apparently the country to the south of the wall pays for it. That's a good thing as we couldn't afford it, once you convert that $30,000,000,000 US to Canadian you need to use scientific notation:D.........Rod.

Jerome Stanek
01-31-2019, 3:05 PM
Good idea, apparently the country to the south of the wall pays for it. That's a good thing as we couldn't afford it, once you convert that $30,000,000,000 US to Canadian you need to use scientific notation:D.........Rod.

If Canada paid for it what would it be about $300

Phil Mueller
01-31-2019, 3:15 PM
Just a bit up the road from Tom, and we’re showing positive 9 degrees at the moment. Things look balmy for the weekend and yes, it’s going to be quite the meltdown. At least it gives the local news something to panic about. Nothing like a good flood to follow up snowmageddon and death risk cold :rolleyes:

Mark Blatter
01-31-2019, 4:09 PM
Right now it is a nice 42 degrees and sunny in my town. However, I remember back a few years when I was living in Helena MT. January 31, 198 the temp at 5 a.m. was about 48 degrees. I was seeing a few drivers off on their routes. Trees were actually starting to bud out it had been so warm. Then a cold front moved in from the north and by midnight it was around -24. On Feb 2, at about 4:30 a.m. 48 train cars 'escaped' from a parked train that was changing engines on Mullan Pass and came flying down the tracks. They his a parked work train at one of the main crossings in Helena. One of the cars that was hit was a tanker filled with hydrogen peroxide, plus one filled with an alcohol of some type. The resulting explosion took out most windows in a one mile radius. The crossing was was right next to Carrol College and every window in the women's dorm was broken. The temp at the time was -32. We went almost a week never exceeding -20 for a high temp, with lows being around -30. There are videos of the fire fighters trying to put out the fires using water. Basically they were spraying ice cubes at the fire. Many houses / businesses lost power and thus heat for several days. Many, many frozen pipes that Montana Rail Link paid for. Here is a link to a story about it.

https://wikivisually.com/wiki/1989_Helena_train_wreck

Diesel fuel, even #1, gels at about -25 with additives, as I recall. So many tractors were stuck with engines not running due to gelled fuel that every repair shop was buried. Wreckers worked non-stop for days.

When it hits about -15 to -20, you can tell because the hairs in your nose freeze up. Never fun.

Andrew Seemann
01-31-2019, 4:51 PM
It is a toasty -5F here now. Warmest it has been since Tuesday morning. Mid 30s forecast for this weekend, tee shirt and shorts weather.

Steve Demuth
01-31-2019, 5:22 PM
-31F at dawn today. Coldest we've seen in a couple of decades. Rain in the 40s predicted for this coming weekend. Was 50F 3 weeks ago. If I have a single living fruit bud in the orchard and vineyard by April, it'll be a miracle. They can take the cold, but not the seesaw.

Bill Jobe
01-31-2019, 5:38 PM
Lightweights!!

https://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KMLI.html

Steve Demuth
01-31-2019, 5:58 PM
Lightweights!!

https://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KMLI.html

-33F is insanely cold for Quad Cities. Lots of plants and little critters that far South that won't survive that.

Bill Jobe
01-31-2019, 6:09 PM
My wife told me one of the 3 TV channels within the Quad Cities reported -35 this morning.

Steve Demuth
01-31-2019, 6:13 PM
Yep, I just looked, and that's where we bottomed out at 9:00AM today, before it started warming up. I hadn't realized it was still getting colder when I looked at sunrise.

John Ziebron
01-31-2019, 7:55 PM
My weather station recorded a low temp of -18 degrees overnight and a wind chill of -35. And the peak wind gust was 35 MPH. So I had to plow my driveway again, not because it snowed but because of wind drifts. My next door neighbor had one over 3 feet in her driveway.

I am also in the area of our governor's request to turn down the thermostat to 65 due to the fire at a Consumer's Power building. But I have propane instead of natural gas and so decided to stay at my normal warmth.:D