PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Birdfeeders

Perry Holbrook
01-30-2019, 6:38 PM
I just finished an attempt to install a birdfeeder and only a birdfeeder. It needed to be bear proof, squirrel proof and crow proof. It's made of steel, copper, 3/8" pvc sheeting, and plexiglass. The post is 2 pieces of 4 inch steel channel, strong enough that a bear can't push over. Inside the channel is a sprocketed 40 pitch chain with removeable handle crank that raises and lowers the lower half of the birdfeeded, where 8 different compartments for different seed type. The steel roof overhangs the base enough that crows can't land. The angled copper on the bottom keep the squirrels out. The small box on the post is for feeding the squirrels from time to time.

So far it's working well and meets the design requirements. Looks pretty good as well if I do say myself. Wouldn't want to admit what my material cost were but what else is retirement for.

Jim Koepke
01-30-2019, 6:55 PM
Looks good.

My plan is to put chicken wire around mine to keep out the larger birds and deer. We do not have squirrels, we have chipmunks. We do not mind them so much, they are kind of cute.

We do have a lot of deer and blue jays.

jtk

Bill Bukovec
01-30-2019, 10:06 PM
I electrified my bird feeder post to keep the furry varmints from getting the seed. Don't know if the bears know about it, but the squirrels have great respect for it.

Greg R Bradley
02-01-2019, 1:16 PM
That must be the best bird feeder I've ever seen. Incredible. I think you should start marketing them. Probably need to sell them for about $2500.

Perry Holbrook
02-01-2019, 8:13 PM
Thanks Greg, I admit I'm pretty proud of it.

John Goodin
02-02-2019, 1:34 AM
If the planet ever explodes there most certainly will be at least one bird feeder floating through space.

All kidding aside it looks great. I too love birds and tried to attract purple martins last year but I think we have a couple owls roosting too close. If no luck this year I may just switch tactics and build a couple owl houses.