PDA

View Full Version : Now THIS is a nice "job-site saw"

Jim Becker
01-30-2019, 10:14 AM
I took a little drive yesterday after being contacted by my cousin's son (my second cousin, he is) who is working on a new home project in the western suburbs of Philadelphia. They want some CNC work done for a beautiful walnut lined library room in the structure and while one part is pretty straight forward, there needed to be discussion about another part of that work in-person. And of course, I got the full tour of the exquisite...and absolutely huge...structure which is in the final throws of interior finish. The place looks like it's been there for hundreds of years, too, minus a little dirt/moss, at least for now.

At any rate, my cousin wanted to show me "his shop" down in the basement level. In addition to the site-cut black walnut walls and ceiling in the library, he's building all the doors on-site from the same material. When we walked into the space....this is the "job site saw" that I beheld in my vision:

He said that the owner, who is also GC-ing the work, asked him what he really needed to to the best work. :D And that's what they got.

Here's one of the doors in-progress. Laminated via vacuum bag, assembled with Dominos, and both wood panel and glass panel versions throughout.

And this is a quick shot of the front exterior of the "tiny" home...four levels, an elevator, a 4 (or 5) attached car garage, a separate apartment for a family member, etc. "Yuge"...

I will certainly post photos of the library if I get the work...which is seeming more likely since the owner and his boss (spouse) are stopping by on Saturday after touring the Nakashima compound nearby and dropping off some material and talking more about design for the appliqué work I quoted.

Ole Anderson
01-30-2019, 12:22 PM
Wow! Site cut black walnut, another plus for the chosen site. Taken off-site, milled and kiln dried I presume?

johnny means
01-30-2019, 12:25 PM
Living the dream.

Brian Holcombe
01-30-2019, 12:36 PM
Awesome, thanks for showing that, Jim!

Jim Becker
01-30-2019, 12:53 PM
Wow! Site cut black walnut, another plus for the chosen site. Taken off-site, milled and kiln dried I presume?
No, cut down on-site, milled on-site (by someone from Hearne with a Woodmizer as my cousin used to work for them), stacked and dried on-site. It's beautiful stuff. The owner actually prefers minor defects and doesn't eschew sapwood, either. That library is going to be one awesome room. The theme for the elements that I'm hoping to produce is the magnolia. There's a huge magnolia tree just outside the large windows of that room and the idea is to bring that into the room, too. Coffered ceiling and completely paneled walls. They were just starting to apply the first coat of oil to the wood when I arrived yesterday, starting with the ceiling. I hope I get to "take tea and biscuits" in that room someday! LOL

--

Brian, if I get this job, when I deliver the work, you're coming with me. :) I know you'll really enjoy it and I want to introduce these folks to you because of some things you do. Right now, they actually live near you. I'll fill you in when you visit soon for you-know-what.

brent stanley
01-30-2019, 1:00 PM
What a shack!

When I read the thread title, I figured you were going to provide a link to this job site saw:

https://youtu.be/VrMfU_su8iM

I'd love to find someone here who has used one and could offer comments.

Brent

Jeff Heath
01-30-2019, 1:10 PM
Wow! You'll get spoiled in a hurry having a "jobsite saw" like that on site. I love walnut.

John TenEyck
01-30-2019, 1:42 PM
It's not named Bucks County for no reason! The outside looks like some old homes I've seen over near Wilmington, DE. I hope you get permission to take some photos of the interior should you get the job, at least the room(s) you'll be working on. I need clients like that.

Your second cousin is going to be mighty disappointed to go back to his own tools after that job unless he's lucky enough to have something similar.

John

Brian Holcombe
01-30-2019, 1:50 PM
No, cut down on-site, milled on-site (by someone from Hearne with a Woodmizer as my cousin used to work for them), stacked and dried on-site. It's beautiful stuff. The owner actually prefers minor defects and doesn't eschew sapwood, either. That library is going to be one awesome room. The theme for the elements that I'm hoping to produce is the magnolia. There's a huge magnolia tree just outside the large windows of that room and the idea is to bring that into the room, too. Coffered ceiling and completely paneled walls. They were just starting to apply the first coat of oil to the wood when I arrived yesterday, starting with the ceiling. I hope I get to "take tea and biscuits" in that room someday! LOL

--

Brian, if I get this job, when I deliver the work, you're coming with me. :) I know you'll really enjoy it and I want to introduce these folks to you because of some things you do. Right now, they actually live near you. I'll fill you in when you visit soon for you-know-what.

Sounds good to me!

Frank Pratt
01-30-2019, 2:53 PM
What a fun jobsite tour! I just love it.

I took a little drive yesterday after being contacted by my cousin's son (my second cousin

But your cousin's son would be your first cousin, once removed. Your child would be his second cousin. :)

Jim Becker
01-30-2019, 6:09 PM
It's not named Bucks County for no reason! The outside looks like some old homes I've seen over near Wilmington, DE. I hope you get permission to take some photos of the interior should you get the job, at least the room(s) you'll be working on. I need clients like that.

Your second cousin is going to be mighty disappointed to go back to his own tools after that job unless he's lucky enough to have something similar.

John

That home is actually in Chester County but Delaware, Chester, Montgomery and Bucks counties are all pretty similar when it comes to "colonial" (and a lot of it actually is from that time) architecture. That also accounts for what you saw over the line in Delaware toward Wilmington. Same stuff...different place...all related "way back when". I don't believe I'll have any problem being able to get photos, especially of "the room". Hopefully, my meeting with the client and his spouse on Saturday goes well.

I'm sure that my cousin has things in hand in the tool department...

Jim Becker
01-30-2019, 6:11 PM
But your cousin's son would be your first cousin, once removed. Your child would be his second cousin. :)

D'oh!!! You are correct and I should know that given how much time I've spent on Ancestry dot com... sheesh... :o

mreza Salav
01-30-2019, 8:14 PM
Please post more photos of that place when done if you can.

Love walnut. I wanted to do all trims in our house when I was doing it in Walnut but darn getting good quality sap-free wood is difficult and it's expensive. Those runs of 7" wide crown I got for our kitchen (in walnut) was 3 times the price of Maple I used everywhere else.

Bryan Lisowski
01-30-2019, 8:17 PM
That definetly is the type of client I would want. Good luck with the meeting Jim.

brent stanley
01-30-2019, 8:57 PM
Good luck Jim, we all want to live vicariously through you!

Rod Sheridan
01-31-2019, 8:05 AM
I don't know Jim, seems to me portability is a requirement for a job site saw, unless you have a fork lift that one's a pretty poor job site saw:D

Thanks for the photographs, please share any others you're able to............Regards, Rod.

Jim Becker
01-31-2019, 9:16 AM
It does have a factory mobility kit on it, Rod. LOL :) :D

Rod Sheridan
01-31-2019, 11:25 AM
It does have a factory mobility kit on it, Rod. LOL :) :D

LOL.............Very true, however I'm not sure that even Arnold could boost it into a van for me..........Rod.

P.S. What is the weather in your area, are you in the cold snap?

Brian Holcombe
01-31-2019, 12:35 PM
Hafthor Björnsson lifted 1040lbs this year....but he’s conveniently unavailable whenever something needs moving around the workshop.

Frank Pratt
01-31-2019, 12:48 PM
LOL.............Very true, however I'm not sure that even Arnold could boost it into a van for me..........Rod.

P.S. What is the weather in your area, are you in the cold snap?

Chuck Norris could. And he wouldn't even have to leave his living room.

Sebastien La Madeleine
01-31-2019, 1:10 PM
Chuck Norris could. And he wouldn't even have to leave his living room.

Probably using an unrolled paper clip as a johnson bar to pry the whole machine up the ramp made with chewing gum wrapper :)

Jim Becker
01-31-2019, 2:56 PM
LOL...all great ideas for mobility!

Rod, last night was nasty and today started out equally nasty, but nothing like the poor folks in Chicago and Minneapolis have been experiencing. 3ºF with about a -13º wind chill this morning here. It's going to be in the 50's by Monday... My MiniSplit has been a real trooper in the shop. I'm SO glad I installed that puppy as working out there daily as I now do has been a pleasure as a result, even though I keep it at 65ºF.

richard poitras
01-31-2019, 3:20 PM
What a shack!

When I read the thread title, I figured you were going to provide a link to this job site saw:

https://youtu.be/VrMfU_su8iM

I'd love to find someone here who has used one and could offer comments.

Brent

It looks like its in the $4000 range :eek:

Joe Rogers
02-01-2019, 12:43 PM
Who gets to end up with the saw??

Jim Becker
02-02-2019, 4:08 PM
Who gets to end up with the saw??
I'm wondering that, too...the client and his spouse, err...boss...were just here and he pretty much indicated he's not interested in taking up woodworking and wasn't sure what he was going to do with the gear when the project is done. Clearly, he bought the equipment. I honestly hope he considers giving or selling it to my cousin. :)
----

AND...he brought a deposit check. That was the first of two good things. The second was that "the boss" liked the idea of some additional elements I suggested which if confirmed will add a few more shekels to the deal. It must have been good luck brought by my new embroidered shirts. :) :D But seriously, they liked what I came up with and helped me work through something that I wasn't exactly happy relative to a proportion thing. And then they headed off to visit the Nakashima compound just down the road. :)

Tom Bender
02-04-2019, 7:26 PM
So the saw in the first picture has more features than the infotainment system in my new car! I hope it's more useful though I see a Model T in the second picture.

Jim Becker
02-05-2019, 9:02 AM
Yes, the smaller saw is in the room, but I got the impression it feels mighty lonely...no surprise there! (I think it belongs to one of the other subs) The owner/GC bought the combo, huge vacuum press and an assortment of Festool gear just for the project. He admitted to me when he was touring my shop on Saturday that he has no personal interest in continuing with woodworking, however...

brent stanley
02-05-2019, 9:06 AM
It looks like its in the $4000 range :eek:

I don't know anyone who has one. They're popular in Europe I understand, and I expect they're great considering the Mafell reputation, but I'd like a friend to buy one first! :D

B