PDA

View Full Version : I just had a Pay Pal screen show up on my computer

lowell holmes
01-29-2019, 10:42 AM
and I don't use and don't remember ever using pay pal.

Is this a scam?

Chris Schoenthal
01-29-2019, 10:56 AM
Don't doubt it's someone's feeble attempt to scam someone into giving out their PayPal account information and password. What they hope is that unwary folks will use the link to enter in their username and password, which the scumbag will capture and do life altering things.

Chris

Alan Caro
01-29-2019, 10:58 AM

Is this a scam?

lowell holmes,

That is either a scam or an advertisement, which in the cyber world is the same thing. The goal is to get information about you ("phishing"). The attempt might be anything: a request for your password, an ad to buy on ebahhh, to a sudden pile of promotions for online gambling, to someone encrypting all your files and held for ransom.

Do not open that email nor click on any attachment.

If you have opened the email, download install and run Malwarebytes Free:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou

I run Malwarebytes twice a week on both computers.

And then run a full scan of whatever virus protection you have.

It may be nothing, but there has been a strong uptick during the gov't shutdown in malware, ransomware, and viruses.

Alan

Edwin Santos
01-29-2019, 11:12 AM
On the other hand, I wonder if it could be a payment request from the vendor you don't know, who sent you the spring you didn't remember ordering, from the address you don't recognize, for the broken pliers you forgot you own.
I don't know why she swallowed the fly..... :)

Kidding aside, please follow Alan's advice and keep your computer out of the hands of phishing hackers.

lowell holmes
01-29-2019, 1:30 PM
I have Malwarebytes on my cell phone. I was not aware that it is good on a desktop computer.

Gerry Grzadzinski
01-29-2019, 6:52 PM
If it popped up on your desktop, you have a virus or adware running on your computer.

lowell holmes
01-29-2019, 7:01 PM
I have dealt with it and my computer is clean at this time.

Chuck Wintle
01-30-2019, 9:06 AM

Is this a scam?
my question to you is what were you trying to do with your computer? you have indicated in your posts many times and this or that appearing. you may want to question the sites you are visiting. ;)

Gary Ragatz
01-30-2019, 9:57 AM
Were you attempting to buy something at the time the PayPal screen popped up? Some sites use PayPal to process credit card transactions, and you don't need to have a PayPal account. I had that happen just last week on an eBay purchase.

Lee DeRaud
01-30-2019, 11:11 AM
If you wait long enough, a couple of big guys in suits named Vito and Vinnie will show up to repossess the new spring you just put in your old vise-grips.
Best plan would be to just go ahead and pay for it. :)

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?271384-A-package-came-today

lowell holmes
01-30-2019, 1:44 PM
Actually, the new spring arrived, I installed it, and the vise grips are like new. I found where I purchased the spring. I cost less than thee dollars.