PDA

View Full Version : Rikon 10-324 Band Saw questions

justin sherriff
01-28-2019, 7:56 PM
I have been looking for a used band saw for a few weeks with out much luck. I was hoping to end up with a 14 inch with riser block fence and mobile base for around $600. Now I am thinking about upping my budget and buying new.

Now my questions
does the Rikon 10-324 go on sale very often? and for how much? It is $899 now at menards where I would like to buy it from since it is the only place I know of less than a hour away from me.
How is the dust collection? I only have a shop vac with a dust deputy cyclone.
This will be my first band saw I have a small more hand tool shop. So I think the saw will be for resawing and rip cuts mostly.
The fence rails on the saw are short and only on the inside. Do you think that not having a fence that can be used on both sides of the blade will be a problem?
To sum it up I am looking for encouragement to either keep looking for used or hold off for a sail and buy new.

Bryan Lisowski
01-28-2019, 8:08 PM
I haven't seen for much cheaper than $899. Whether you keep looking is up to you. I have had no issues with the fence locking on 1 side of the blade, and I can't think of 1 that locks on both sides unless homemade.

Sam Force
01-28-2019, 8:18 PM
Have you looked at CUWoodshop in Champaign? They may have a used bandsaw, you never know what is on consignment there

Nick Decker
01-28-2019, 8:22 PM
I have the 10-326, which allows you to use the fence on either side of the blade and I've never had a need to put it in front. Not a festure that I need.

Have you thought about Acme Tools for the 324? Same price, no sales tax, delivery to your home included.

John Goodin
01-28-2019, 10:35 PM
The 324 at toolcenter.com is 855 delivered, no tax or shipping.

Steve Demuth
01-29-2019, 8:34 PM
I've had a Rikon 10-324 and I use a Shopvac and Dust Deputy on it. The dust collection is not great - it is from a port at the base of the lower wheel enclosure, so no draw from the actual cutting area. Quite a bit of sawdust escapes.

Otherwise, the saw is a good choice for the price. You can tension a 1/2" blade to 15,000 PSI on it, and properly adjusted, resawing up to 8" or so is entirely practical.