PDA

View Full Version : Brass Spline back saw

Michael McQuillen
01-28-2019, 2:36 PM
I recently bought a very old marples & sons brass backed back saw. It's straight. The sharpening on the blade is terrible but i can address that. The main issue, possibly, is that the back spline is curved, as in the heel and toe are higher then the middle of the spline. It's pretty heavy brass. I'm wondering what would be the best way to address the curve? Or as long as the blade is straight not even mess with it and leave it as is?

Thanks for any insight.

Mike

Tony Zaffuto
01-28-2019, 3:24 PM
As long as the saw plate is straight and without waves, I would leave it alone. I have a saw with a similar condition-looks like an old beat-up sway back horse. I sent it to one of the reputable sawsmiths on forums at the time for his opinion and he said leave it alone, just sharpen it. I did. It cuts straight. But everytime I look at it, it still bugs me!

lowell holmes
01-28-2019, 4:08 PM
I would use it as is. If it ever gives you a problem. I would place a drill bit, the size being the amount of bow in the center, and try straightening it by clamping the ends. I little heat on the back might help.

Jim Koepke
01-28-2019, 4:29 PM
A wise man never tries to fix what isn't broken.

jtk

Michael McQuillen
01-28-2019, 5:11 PM
thanks everyone. I will leave it as is.

William Fretwell
01-29-2019, 5:08 PM
Just think of it as ‘breasted’, people pay more for that!