PDA

View Full Version : tradesmen band saw?

Reggie Lamothe
01-28-2019, 1:03 PM
I've been looking for a while for a band-saw and while I wanted something that could resaw 5" or so I found a guy selling a 10" tradesmen for a very low price. I've never heard of this brand before and for the price I wouldn't expect it to run for ever but does anyone have experience with this particular saw?

Lee Schierer
01-28-2019, 2:04 PM
First off please indicate roughly where you are located. Second thought is that when you buy a little known brand any part you may need may be impossible to find. A 10" bandsaw limits what you can do with it. Resaw height most likely won't be 5" and it may not have enough power to cut that much. IMO a 14" saw is about the minimum size for resawing.

Ralph Okonieski
01-28-2019, 7:58 PM
I have a 12inch Craftsman that has a theoretical capability of 6 inches. Even with a brand new blade, it will not cut 6 inches (within the limits of my patience). I have to feed so slow in order to cut that height that I generally lose patience before the board is finished being cut. As Lee suggested, go for at least 14”.

Bruce Page
01-28-2019, 8:37 PM
It likely has a 1/3hp motor like my 10" Rikon. It would take extreme patience to resaw 5" with it.

Curt Harms
01-30-2019, 7:44 AM
Tradesman is/was a generic Chiwanese brand. It's cheap for a reason.