PDA

View Full Version : Anyone thinking of building your own coffin?

Bob Glenn
01-27-2019, 12:09 PM
And I'm not talking about a plane. I think CS has built one and is using it as a bookcase until needed otherwise. Thinking back on my life, most places that I've lived, I have built or rebuilt my dwelling and a majority of the furnishing within. There's some comfort in that. So I have been toying with the idea of building my own coffin. The idea is not being met with enthusiasm with the wife and family. Any thoughts on this?

Mike Henderson
01-27-2019, 12:13 PM
The problem is where to store it until you need it. Because of that, I'll use one that someone else built and delivered when it's needed.

Mike

fritz eng
01-27-2019, 1:11 PM
I'm told the funeral business in some states is a very regulated business such that almost everything must be ordered and purchased through the funeral home. I suggest that you first check with the funeral home you intend to do business with. Best wishes

Doug Dawson
01-27-2019, 1:14 PM
The problem is where to store it until you need it. Because of that, I'll use one that someone else built and delivered when it's needed.

You could always sleep in it. I would probably want to build in a mechanism to elevate the sleeping body to full erect position by pulling a lever or something. (Bad knees.)

Patrick Walsh
01-27-2019, 1:19 PM
This is the closest I hope to partisipate in my death.

I really would love to relocate late in life as to be buried this way.

Seems to many I’m sure brutal but to me it just makes sense..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_burial

Andrew Seemann
01-27-2019, 1:28 PM
Absolutely not. I have already come too close ending up in a coffin too many times in my life already. I don't want to make it any more convenient for The Reaper by having one on hand.

+10 bonus points for catching the BOC reference.

Nathan Johnson
01-27-2019, 1:49 PM
Since I'll be cremated...no.

Mel Fulks
01-27-2019, 1:51 PM
I thought about it when all the metal "caskets " looked like they were made out of old Buicks. And it might be ,they still do. That leaves a different "hot" deal. Lot of old guys in wood world used to make their own. Local paper ran a photo of
a retired wood worker ,up in age, with the one he made while young. I'm sure his worked out.

Allen (AJ) Breese
01-27-2019, 2:08 PM
I have been thinking of making my urn, as for if it is legal to day I don't know, but back in 2007 I made my mom's. But know you have me second thinking my plan! LOL

Lee Schierer
01-27-2019, 2:27 PM
Be sure to check your state regulations. There are different construction requirements for each state.

Mel Fulks
01-27-2019, 2:58 PM
Regulations on do-it - yourself are mostly gone. Lots of court cases, and State Boards of Buddy Protection defeated.

Jason Roehl
01-27-2019, 4:13 PM
I'm too much of a procrastinator. Probably a bit too challenging to get it done right before the "dead"line.

Frederick Skelly
01-27-2019, 4:37 PM
I considered it, but dont have a place to store it long term and a Schwartz-style bookcase/casket is going a little too far for my comfort level. (I dont mind being prepared, but I dont want to stare at the dang thing for 40 years.) Nothing wrong with making one if it suits you. Do check local regulations.

William Fretwell
01-27-2019, 5:21 PM
I have thought of building my own and mounting it on my workshop wall above my canoe. A constant reminder to not waste my time left. Swimming 50 lengths of an Olympic pool is not routine any longer.
Storage could be an issue down the road though, hate to pay for years of storage while I rot in some nursing home.

Are you working on a flat pack design?

Mel Fulks
01-27-2019, 5:33 PM
Just noticed I forgot to mention that the ones made for maker were often used as blanket chests or other storage. Never
read anything about them being stored out of sight or off premises.

Mike Henderson
01-27-2019, 6:29 PM
I considered it, but don't have a place to store it long term and a Schwartz-style bookcase/casket is going a little too far for my comfort level. (I don't mind being prepared, but I don't want to stare at the dang thing for 40 years.) Nothing wrong with making one if it suits you. Do check local regulations.

And then, when you die, your survivors have to find some other place to store their books:)

Mike

Megan Fitzpatrick
01-27-2019, 9:03 PM
402179It's a fun group project – and you get lots of great looks through the front windows while doing it. Mine is, after a Halloween stint on thr front porch, in the basement where it serves as storage for me, not of me.

Bob Glenn
01-27-2019, 9:37 PM
I have thought of building my own and mounting it on my workshop wall above my canoe. A constant reminder to not waste my time left. Swimming 50 lengths of an Olympic pool is not routine any longer.
Storage could be an issue down the road though, hate to pay for years of storage while I rot in some nursing home.

Are you working on a flat pack design?

I don't know what the flat pack design is, however, I thought about cutting, planing and fitting all the pieces and pre-drilling the holes for the cut nails, then leave it un-assembled, hoping someone could knock it together when the time comes.

Simon MacGowen
01-27-2019, 10:29 PM
No coffins...ashes to be scattered. Yes, an environmentally friendly kinda guy here. If my family honor my (living) wish, I don't want any formal funeral to be arranged. An obituary sent to remote relatives and friends would be more than enough.

Simon

Mel Fulks
01-27-2019, 11:16 PM
Megan, that is a happy looking bunch. Make-up artist - coffin maker is a great skill set !

Kris Cook
01-28-2019, 12:39 AM
Not sure why I read this thread. Maybe the same reason people stare at an accident scene...

Not sure why anyone would waste good lumber on a coffin.

Mike Henderson
01-28-2019, 1:04 PM
I wonder why they used to make coffins in that shape. That doesn't save a lot of wood over a plain rectangular coffin, and it makes the construction more difficult. That joint in the sides at arm level could be weak unless done well. Any ideas why they're that shape?

Mike

Mel Fulks
01-28-2019, 1:17 PM
I think it was to know for sure which end the feet were in. They were always careful to carry a body feet first. And suicides
were carried head first. These days they get a little careless at times.

Prashun Patel
01-28-2019, 2:54 PM
Definitely a bucket list project for me.

Nicholas Lawrence
01-28-2019, 3:19 PM
I feel like there was a Roy Underhill episode on coffin building. Might be worth a look if you want to do it.

ETA: Just googled it. Called “Plain pine box” available for free from the PBS website.

Flamone LaChaud
01-28-2019, 3:19 PM
When I saw that link about sky burial, before I clicked on it I thought to myself "pushed out of a plane over some random location? Maaaybe worth looking into - that way my family can say I finally tried skydiving."

Bill Jobe
01-28-2019, 3:25 PM
I sorta share the opinion of Bob Hope on such things.
I read somewhere that when asked where he wanted to be buried, he responded with "Surprise me".

Tony Wilkins
01-28-2019, 3:56 PM
Definitely a bucket list project for me.

I see what you did there.

Mel Fulks
01-28-2019, 3:57 PM
[QUOTE=Flamone LaChaud;2892451]When I saw that link about sky burial, before I clicked on it I thought to myself "pushed out of a plane over some random location? Maaaybe worth looking into - that way my family can say I finally tried skydiving."[/QUOTE
I have no objection to the sky drop .....oops, almost forgot the requisite "but not in my neighborhood"
Unusual requests can, over time, be misunderstood. A few generations out that could become "his body was dropped on the dump site from a plane". Or a murderer found guilty might say. "He died of natural cause. He loved automobiles and
made me promise to bury him in the "automobile grave yard".

Kevin Hampshire
01-28-2019, 6:46 PM
I have thought about it and would like to build mine.

Megan hit on a good idea. Build it and turn it into a saw till and plane rack.

Then repurpose it back to the original purpose...once it’s needed for that!

Scott Winners
01-28-2019, 10:36 PM
I am in favor. QSWO, figured maple inlays, a bunch of ebony. I can just see that thing getting carried up the aisle of the church and x number of people knowing that dude was a wood worker.

Wife firmly opposed. Project on hold.

I do want to be buried upright so when I get to the other side I can step out and get to work.

Mike Brady
01-29-2019, 11:38 AM
Nice dry pine would make good kindling!:eek:

Andrew Gibson
01-29-2019, 1:11 PM
If I recall correctly FWW had an article some years back about some Monks in Missouri? that built coffins to your necessary dimension then added shelves so that the box could be used as a bookcase until needed. They predominantly use walnut. The Idea was that you got to enjoy the Box before you needed it. I believe they were rectangular with raised panel construction.. I'm sure someone on here could dig up the issue.

Don Orr
01-29-2019, 2:10 PM
I'm not building a coffin or casket (there's a difference) but I will turn my own cremation urn.

Brian Holcombe
01-29-2019, 6:51 PM
But, what do you do with your books if you need the coffin !?!

Warren Mickley
01-29-2019, 7:52 PM
Planning ahead in Chester County:

John Heacock, second child and eldest son of Jonathan Heacock and Ann Till his wife, was born 9th month 23rd, 1713, in Marple Township, near the Springfield Township line. He died in Middletown Township, 11th month 13th, 1794. John Heacock settled on a farm in Middletown Township. He was a cabinetmaker by trade, and when advanced in life caused a walnut tree, which he grew from a nut he once carried in his pocket and which he had planted, to be cut into boards out of which he made his own coffin. In this he placed his grave clothes, and, in conformity to his request, they were used at his interment.

phil harold
01-29-2019, 7:53 PM
natural burial for me
no coffin
no chemicals
no burning
plant a tree above me
the worms crawl in and the worms crawl out!

Mel Fulks
01-29-2019, 9:01 PM
Warren, nice to have all that detail. Thanks

kent wardecke
02-01-2019, 8:34 AM
Nice dry pine would make good kindling!:eek:

Yes and you got it. They can throw the whole kit and kaboodle into the oven

I made a pine box for a Halloween decoration it was kind of neat. I've seen a coffin builder book for my kindle

steven c newman
02-01-2019, 12:10 PM
And....then have some Clint Eastwood look-alike walk by, and say.." my mistake, need FOUR coffins made..."

Bill Jobe
02-01-2019, 1:35 PM
Hey guys. Put the shine back up on the shelf.

David Kenagy
02-03-2019, 11:47 AM

That just means you need a smaller box. Imagine the fine joinery choices....

John Patric
02-03-2019, 12:17 PM
I would be very happy to make one for my ex wife If I knew she would use it.

steven c newman
02-03-2019, 6:49 PM
Having just "planted" a coffin...I am not really in the mood for this topic....

William Fretwell
02-03-2019, 7:21 PM
Does Poison Ivy come in 4 inch boards? ......It’s the thought that counts!

Jack Frederick
02-05-2019, 2:11 PM
There is preparation and then there is temping fate. I'll pass on this project.

Zach Dillinger
02-05-2019, 3:43 PM
I'm too much of a procrastinator. Probably a bit too challenging to get it done right before the "dead"line.

Maybe that's the secret to eternal life? Sort of like the old Henny Youngman joke:

"Did you hear the one about the man and his doctor? Doctor told him he had six months to live. Man couldn't pay his bill, so the doctor gave him another six months!"