PDA

View Full Version : 60/70's Bailey Planes

fritz eng
01-26-2019, 3:09 PM
I was reading that Bailey planes made in the late 60’s/70’s were painted with a Cordovan (brownish) color with a yellow background on the Stanley cap iron. Because I got into woodworking around then, my first Bailey was a #5 which was practically unusable and laid in the box for almost 30 years until I started reading about tuning hand planes in 2000. This plane has no forward/backward frog adjusting screws, not that they are necessary after final adjustments. After much work, it is now one of my “go to” planes retrofitted with a Pinnacle matched blade and cap iron. Curious if any one is using one of these planes and how much work went into making this plane usable.

Matt Day
01-26-2019, 8:53 PM
This is better suited for the Neander forum. But most prefer pre-war models, though post war work just fine with some fettling.

Jim Koepke
01-27-2019, 1:48 AM
Howdy Fritz and welcome to the Creek.

As Matt mentioned many folks prefer planes made before WW II. My preference is planes made before the 1930s. This is mainly to avoid the raised ring so a low knob can be used.

There are some real stinkers available from any period of manufacture. After the 1950s professional woodworkers were not buying planes as much as in the past. Machines were on the rise. Engineers were alway looking for ways to cut the cost of making a product.

If a person is willing to take the time most of the planes from the later years can be tuned up to work as well as those from the earlier years.

There is a good feeling one gets watching curly shavings spill out of a restored century old plane while smoothing a piece of wood.

jtk

Tom M King
01-27-2019, 8:29 AM
That was during the time when I was young, and just starting out. I wanted to buy new ones, but the old ones were plentiful, and cheaper, so I bought the old ones, and passed on those with any rust on them. I'm still using the ones I bought then, as well as some number that I've acquired since then. I did buy two new block planes then, and am still using those too.

lowell holmes
01-27-2019, 8:50 AM
If you ever get a chance at a Bedrock plane, you will like it.
I have 604, 605, and 607 Bedrocks.

I also have 5 1/2 Bailey.

Stew Denton
01-27-2019, 1:02 PM
Hi Fritz,

Welcome to the creek from me also.

As Jim mentioned, most of us prefer the older planes, they were better made with more attention to detail, and hense a lot less work to get in good working condition, although you will often probably have to deal with more rust on the old ones. I like the ones made from about 1907 or so until about 1930. I buy primarily Stanley planes, although there are other good brands out there. Some say the Miller's Falls planes are actually a bit better than the Stanley, but I don't know.

You did a really good job to make one of the 60s to 70s Stanley planes into a great user. I wouldn't even have tried it. It proves what Jim wrote, though, that almost any plane can be made into a good user. The thing is for me, however, that there are enough of the old Stanley planes out there that I can't see buying one of the later ones and going to a lot more trouble to make it into a good user.

There is so much information out there on the old Stanley planes that I am very familiar with them, and if the need should arise, I know I can find parts for them without spending a huge amount of time doing it. This is not the case with many other brands. For example I watched on that auction site for about 3 years (? maybe?) for parts for my old Ohio #04 that was my grandfathers, until I finally found all of the parts it took to restore it and make it into a user. If it had not been my grandfathers plane, it would not have been worth the trouble.

Stew

fritz eng
01-27-2019, 1:41 PM
I attended a woodworking seminar conducted by Ian Kirby in the 90's who said he could tune planes for $100(?). It was more than 2x the price of my No. 5 at the time as I recall. There must have been a big demand because Mr. Kirby couldn't promise a tuned plane before 3+ weeks after receipt.

Jim Koepke
01-27-2019, 3:11 PM
I attended a woodworking seminar conducted by Ian Kirby in the 90's who said he could tune planes for $100(?). It was more than 2x the price of my No. 5 at the time as I recall. There must have been a big demand because Mr. Kirby couldn't promise a tuned plane before 3+ weeks after receipt.

Considering what needs to be done to many planes that isn't a bad price. Though my expectation for that price would be surface grinding the sole, flattening the blade and mating the chip breaker among a few other things.

For my planes a tune up is usually only to the point of getting a plane to do what it is supposed to do. A jointer doesn't need a perfect sole. It shouldn't be twisted or rock when set on a flat surface, but it doesn't need to be to the same tolerance as a smoother. As long as a plane can be used predictably for its job, then it is probably tuned well enough. If it has problems doing its job, then it likely needs some attention.

jtk

steven c newman
01-27-2019, 7:32 PM
I still have a standing offer.....IF there aren't any cracks, or missing parts....I will tune up those old Rust Buckets....All one needs is postage both ways. Turn around is maybe a weekend. Where I open the mailing box, rehab the plane inside, repack the plane back into the box, and apply the return shipping label that came in the box....

Sometimes, I even leave a few shavings with the plane, when I repack. No other charges, just postage both ways.

fritz eng
01-27-2019, 9:45 PM
I still have a standing offer.....IF there aren't any cracks, or missing parts....I will tune up those old Rust Buckets....All one needs is postage both ways. Turn around is maybe a weekend. Where I open the mailing box, rehab the plane inside, repack the plane back into the box, and apply the return shipping label that came in the box....

Sometimes, I even leave a few shavings with the plane, when I repack. No other charges, just postage both ways.

Your offer is very generous. But one rehabbed plane is more than I need at this time. Thank you

lowell holmes
01-28-2019, 9:54 AM
A little tip about cleaning up rust bucket planes that need japanning repair.
Black automotive enamel does a credible job. I have a 5 1/2 bailey that received the treatment.